Hamilton

I’m finally getting to watch this on Disney + and it’s kinda terrible. I’m having trouble following and not a single song is memorable. It feels like Get Out...a b-grade movie that was celebrated because the director/writer or whatever was black. 

Im not white and I’ve seen probably 50+ shows on Broadway and even more theater in various cities around the world. I’m not an expert or anything but I think I know a good show. This is kinda shit. Anyone else feel the same way?

1 Like

Agreed.

I sat in the fourth row and was underwhelmed by it.

Only reason I went is because the chick I went with wanted to go and she is hot.

1 Like

i found myself at hamilton twice. i went with a school group for my step daughter and then my wife also wanted to go check it out. i mostly looked at the cool architecture in the theater the second time.

i'm 100% not the guy for broadway type stuff, so i figured i just didn't get it.

so, i'm with you on hamilton.

i thought get out was pretty good. 

1 Like

A lady at work played the soundtrack and raved about how awesome it was. I think I heard one song that was slightly good, but beyond that it seemed way overhyped. The music in The Book of Mormon blows it away.

I don’t get it. Cultural appropriation is alive and well but Hamilton is played by a latino qnd there are tons of POC in the cast, presumably, portraying white people. 

Also, did he have anything at all to do with slavery or was he assumed to be racist? If so, why isn’t this cancelled? 

Edit: my wife just put it on. Laugh out loud! Let’s see how it is. 

So far it seems like something the freshman at a peforming arts school would compose. Awesome if it were a bunch of 14 year olds, but would never think it were Broadway worthy. 

Ok, the only good part so far was King George, who is played by a legit Broadway dude. LMM has no stage presence, and a weak voice. 

Aaaaand it’s off. Wow. That was terrible. It completely lost me. I would have had no idea what they were talking about if the choruses weren’t hyper repetitive, three word chants. My 14 year old daughter is watching it in her room because she loves it, and I can see why. It’s geared towards a less mature crowd. Let’s face it, the only reason this got all the hype was because of the (shitty) rapping, and replacing ALL the white characters with POC. 

I grew up around Lin, support him 100% and I could not get into Hamilton at all.

You guys need to go see Book of Mormon.

I've only listened to the cast album and I liked it a lot.  I don't know what it is, but I feel like his portrayal of Hamilton's work ethic is motivating for me for some reason.  I like many of the songs.  However, after spotting Miranda's work in other places like Moana and elsewhere, I realized he is a little formulaic and I like it less now.

Maybe watching the performers would have changed my perception for the worse, but theater of the mind is powerful.

I’m sitting here and can’t wait for it to end. It makes just zero sense.

badpvtdan -

I’m sitting here and can’t wait for it to end. It makes just zero sense.

We made it less than 30 minutes and when we paused it to crutique it, realized there were two more hours and noped the fuck out. 

worse than cats?

Wayne Glamcock -

worse than cats?

Cats, for all it’s issues, had great visuals and music. 

I thought rapping history lessons was considered hacky by the 90s already. How did this middle school talent show become a national phenomenon? 

1 Like

Black Panther Broadway<br /><br />Ridiculously over-rated and equally insulated from criticism

1 Like

I have never seen it but the non-stop commercials gave me a taste of it and I found myself laughing at how dumb it seemed.  Good th know it seems my initial reaction was spot on

Creating Broadway shows that are criticism proof is actually the way to go.

Just wait until "Trayvon: A Life in Song" comes out...

The angst of "Black Boy in a Hoodie"

The biting invective of "White Hispanic"

The soul crushing emotion of "Skittles in Heaven (Will There Be?)"

Even the much needed comedic relief of "That's Real Retarded"

It will be the BEST reviewed Broadway Show of ALL TIME!!!

3 Likes

Where’s Aaron Burr when you need him?

The Diet Butcher - 

Where’s Aaron Burr when you need him?

In the show?

FYI - it is a VERY LONG play.

Really fucking long.

Be prepared for a long play.

UltimateKeyboardWarrior - Agreed.

I sat in the fourth row and was underwhelmed by it.

Only reason I went is because the chick I went with wanted to go and she is hot.