hammer on the head(machida fight)

courtesy of forum member Calhoon.

It is so much more than just being elusive.

It is dictating what range the fight will take place in.

It is shuting down your opponents offensive plan which was to box in mid range and head hunt.

It is coming in and making your opponent pay when he leaves an opening and then going back to a range you prefer before he can react.

He did all that and dominated the fight.

He fought the perfect plan and executed it to perfection. He controlled the fight and did more damage as I previously said.

If he had fought in an "exciting fasion" according to some he would have lost because their is no way that Machida can spend too much time in the pocket trading blows with a boxer. Machida doesn't even use uppercuts and hooks very often if at all.

A fight where they both aggresivly trade punches goes to Rampage 99% of the time. A fight that allows Machida to work his game heavily favors the much more versatile Machida unless you are fighting in front of judges who don't understand striking.

The perfect plan would have been to stop Rampage, therefore making sure he won the fight.

Showing how awesome your avoidance skills are = not perfect plan.

If we're just copying/pasting out of existing threads, I'll throw mine and another in

I can see someone thinking Machida won the fight... but DOMINATED? Obviously not.

Machida backing up and counter punching 95% of the fight just doesn't do it for me.

So what exactly was Machida's strategy to "WIN" that fight.... to stay away and counter punch, that isn't a very offensive strategy. Maybe it took Rampage out of his game, but what's Rampage supposed to do, just fight the same way as Machida, just back up, try and counter punch? Talk about one boring ass fight if both guys had gone in with the Machida strategy.

Maybe two wrestlers going at it in a lay and pray decision fest would be equally boring, but nobody wants to see two strikers go in there and both back up and try and counter the whole time. You've got 3 rounds (15 minutes) to make an impression, or to win the fight. I'll never be impressed with the guy who hangs back the whole time trying to dictate the pace of the fight, but doesn't do anything to really say I WON THIS FIGHT!

It's all we got in these 3 round matches, I want to see a guy who WANTS to win, who wants to take the other guy out, I don't want to see the guy who just wants to not lose.  Maybe that's why I'm not a judge, but that's what I took away from it.  First Shogun fight, Machida should of lost for the same reason. 

gilbertfan - This whining about the judges is really getting old. Maybe people should look into who judged the fight and how they scored it before they complain.

1)I am really tired of seeing Cecil used as a punching bag. Sure its really easy to single him out because he's easy to identify (as a former ref). Clearly he wasn't judging this contest and has no relevance regarding this decision.

2) Randy complaining about the judges being former boxing judges as this isn't the case in this decision either. Randy's comments make him look as if he is completely unaware of the judges involved. Jeff Blatnik was a former gold medalist in olympic wrestling, announced a ton of UFCs, helped engineer the current rules and most importantly the judging criteria. He should know what the criteria are as he helped write them. He scored it for rampage. (as I did)

3)Sal D'amato is a 3rd degree black belt in tae kwan do and a BJJ practitioner. He should know what Machida was trying to accomplish being that they both have similar backgrounds. Sal and I have talked a bunch, discussed decisions and he knows his stuff standing and on the ground as well. Doc Hamilton obviously scored it the otherway for machida.(He's the guy who transitioned from kickboxing to MMA)

People need to look at the decisions more closesly before they start spouting the former boxing judge line or the cecil line or the judges don't know the criteria line. None of these were boxing judges, Jeff wrote the criteria and Cecil wasn't judging this one :(

Was a good decision, despite Page's comments at the end.

nostripewhite - The perfect plan would have been to stop Rampage, therefore making sure he won the fight.

This^

This ain't Karate, this is MMA...and if you don't like it...you can GET OUT!!!

voice form back of the room THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!!!

Doo Doo - 
nostripewhite - The perfect plan would have been to stop Rampage, therefore making sure he won the fight.

This^

showing your avoidance skills while outpointing your opponent = you are winning.

if you don't stop your opponent, you don't stop him. simple as that. all this talk of, 'you didn't finish the fight, you can't complain' is stupid, imo, and it doesn't make our sport any more legit.

certain boxers are known counter punchers(MAYWEATHER!!!), and they have gone to many decisions and won.

just look at mayweather vs de la hoya. sure, de la hoya was more aggressive, but he was fighting into mayweathers fight. same with machida-rampage. watching that fight, there was no doubt in my mind that machida had won that fight. it's just odd to see that others do not see fights the same.

i don't care if you are walking forward. you need to outpoint your opponent to win.

X_Rated -  I just got a BROner reading your OP, FEB

; )

By your logic Olympic Sprinters should be able to DOMINATE MMA cause no one could ever catch them. Hell why don't we put it out in an open field so Machida can have more room to run away and DOMINATE

MontyG -  By your logic Olympic Sprinters should be able to DOMINATE MMA cause no one could ever catch them. Hell why don't we put it out in an open field so Machida can have more room to run away and DOMINATE

by your logic, you'll award whomever hits harder the victory in a tennis match, not the one who had more points.

A fight where they both aggresivly trade punches goes to Rampage 99% of the time

Well, the one time Machida aggressively traded punches, he hurt Rampage and possibly nearly finished him, so was that just the 1% of the time Rampage didn't win the exchange?

Maybe it was karma for the bullshit Shogun decision.

Shiago Tilva - Machida won under karate rules where the first guy to land gets points. He didn't hurt Rampage at ALL rounds 1 and 2 while Rampage hit him with power shots flush on the chin more than once.

I'm not sure you know what "flush on the chin" means...

flesheatingbull - 
Doo Doo - 

This^

showing your avoidance skills while outpointing your opponent = you are winning.

if you don't stop your opponent, you don't stop him. simple as that. all this talk of, 'you didn't finish the fight, you can't complain' is stupid, imo, and it doesn't make our sport any more legit.

certain boxers are known counter punchers(MAYWEATHER!!!), and they have gone to many decisions and won.

just look at mayweather vs de la hoya. sure, de la hoya was more aggressive, but he was fighting into mayweathers fight. same with machida-rampage. watching that fight, there was no doubt in my mind that machida had won that fight. it's just odd to see that others do not see fights the same.

i don't care if you are walking forward. you need to outpoint your opponent to win.

It boils down to Machida out scoring (imo he didn't) Rampage by the slightest of margins or Rampage actively seeking to fight?

I think the agression/octagon control trumps Machida doing just enough not to get warned for timidness...in terms of damage Machida didn't do anything for 10 mins...Rampage on the other hand, landed several hard shots most to the body...

Machida won that fight but was very disappointing in the process. I hope he steers clear of the Silva camp and seeks out new traing partners and a new vision. With Silva's last few fights and Machida's last 3 fights, I'm not liking what I see.

Machida lost. Any fight record database will tell you.

Stating your opinion repeatedly doesn't make it true. He won the third round pretty big, but other than that he did jack shit but get chased away.

^^^He gets it.

maybe machida should learn to uppercut. hell it couldnt hurt. and dont bitch about a decision when you had 15 minutes of one on one time with the guy to take it out of their hands. machida and all his fans can be butt hurt til the end of time but that L isnt going anywhere. we saw him stop rashad, rich franklin, almost tito with a body shot.he is a dangerous man but i think the shogun ko was in his head and he was afraid to get hit by rampage and fought too cautious until he knew he was down 2rds and tried to turn it on in the 3rd.

well maybe it shouldve. i thought rampage had no chance and i dont even like him but sometimes even though they say striking, grappling, oct control are the criteria, depending on the judges, appearances can sway their thinking. its just a hard fact of the matter. you know if machida fought the whole fight like he did in the third this forum would be a bore right now because he wouldve won. okami/franklin comes to mind. lyoto will be back and i know in my heart hes the better fighter than rampage but you gotta perform whole heartedly. were already using a system to score a wrestling, jiu jitsu, kickboxing and muy thai match all in one thats made for boxing. so the decisions are going to be fucked up from time to time. finish and its not an issue

Please dislodge the sand from your panties.

The first round (and hence the fight) could have been judged either way, and the split decision showed it.

It wasn't even the worst judging that night, let alone in the grand scheme of things.

flesheatingbull - courtesy of forum member Calhoon.

It is so much more than just being elusive.

It is dictating what range the fight will take place in.

It is shuting down your opponents offensive plan which was to box in mid range and head hunt.

It is coming in and making your opponent pay when he leaves an opening and then going back to a range you prefer before he can react.

He did all that and dominated the fight.

He fought the perfect plan and executed it to perfection. He controlled the fight and did more damage as I previously said.

If he had fought in an "exciting fasion" according to some he would have lost because their is no way that Machida can spend too much time in the pocket trading blows with a boxer. Machida doesn't even use uppercuts and hooks very often if at all.

A fight where they both aggresivly trade punches goes to Rampage 99% of the time. A fight that allows Machida to work his game heavily favors the much more versatile Machida unless you are fighting in front of judges who don't understand striking.

Exactly bro, I just don't understand how there's so many  supposed mma fans that don't get this. 

For me rampage won the 1 and 2 round , 10-9 10-9 and lost the 3 10-8 by better striking, grappling, oct control in anyplace, a draw, maybe Machida won by judges in Brazil too