Hand to hand combat in the Navy?

Talked to a Navy guy and he says they don't do any hand to hand combat in the Navy. They did some in basic training, but once in the Navy it wasn't a requirement. Now this comes from a guy who sits in the cabin all day looking at a compass and maning a radio. Not necessarily a 'combat' role.

Anyway, I thought it was crazy that a Navy guy would have little to no H2H Combat training, no matter what position you hold on a ship. 

My grandfather was in the navy years ago and had a very good foundation in boxing and judo that he picked up while in the navy. 

They get most of their hand to hand training from bar fights.

Their chefs are pretty good with knives

Jerking each other off has to count for something..

TFK_Mas Tisu - 

Their chefs are pretty good with knives

damn that is a good scene

Benntheredunthat - Jerking each other off has to count for something..

Your thinking air force.  That and bend and thrusts.;-)

theBEAToff - They get most of their hand to hand training from bar fights.

I think you're getting confused with Army.

Nitecrawler -

My grandfather was in the navy years ago and had a very good foundation in boxing and judo that he picked up while in the navy. 

I feel like thats the way it should be. 

He was saying with todays tech on ships, no one can get close enough to even board a militray vessel. That might be true in most cases but during a fight against a modern military; I figure there would be some chance of being boarded.  

Lmao you mean like handjobbin their ways through a deployment?

The US Navy has the finest hand to hand combat system being trained worldwide.    Its called the Marines.   The ships each have a role in the mission of the haze gray and underway Navy, but for big in your face scraps(even at sea) .  Just call the Devil Dogs

There are small arms on the ships at sea for sure, but that for just in case.

Rarely do ships link up broadside while their crews jump onto the enemy's ship with cutlasses and belaying pins anymore. With the exception of SEALs and shore patrolman and some other units, why would they need H2H (other than for the fun of practicing - nothing wrong with that.)

The Stewed Owl -

Rarely do ships link up broadside while their crews jump onto the enemy's ship with cutlasses and belaying pins anymore. With the exception of SEALs and shore patrolman and some other units, why would they need H2H (other than for the fun of practicing - nothing wrong with that.)

VBSS boarding happen all the time. We did them often. 

What sort of h2h do they officially do?

Hand to hand combat in the military is limited because it serves no real practical purpose other than as a means to instill a competitive "warrior spirit"

You're there to learn how to use weapons to kill hence the focus on armed combat.

Why would they?  It's the navy.

BJTT_Pella - 
The Stewed Owl -

VBSS boarding happen all the time. We did them often. 

I guess that's true. I don't know much about how the Navy works - are boarding teams specially trained teams for that, or do they just use regular deck crew to do it? 

The Stewed Owl -

Perhaps an average sailer will never have the need to use H2H combat; by average i mean its probably more like 99%. 

I just can't help but think about the 'what ifs'. I think one good scenario would be when we have a person held in custoday on a vessel. Hence why an enemy would send a boarding party to rescue the hostage. Now I think we can all agree to never bring fists to a gun fight. Though having some sort of H2H training would prove beneficial in the close confines of a ship. The more people we have onboard that knows how to fight, the better.

...and lets be honest, sailers have way too much time on their hands anyways. Why not train sometimes?

I work with a guy who did 20 years in the Navy...and he doesn’t know how to swim...i shit you not.

The problem with hand to hand fighting in the navy is that invariably you will be fighting and some guy's cock will end up in your mouth.