Handwrapping Techniques

I know there are a variety of techniques that one can use for wrapping hands, and it depends on personal preference too. My question is does anyone wrap his/her hands when training and fighting the same way? I try to wrap mine during training like a fight wrap - heavily packing the knuckles, but recently I've noticed other people go heavy around the wrist for training, then wrap totally different for fights.

Is there even a good fight wrap guide for muay Thai?

there are many guides around. the internet has many..

bottom line: wrap them to your preference. maybe you need more wrist, maybe more knuckle.

your training gloves are going to have more padding which may be easier on the knuckles but heavy on the wrists. fight gloves are going to be lighter and you'll want extra on the knuckles (You should tape up with gauze imho)

I only wrap up for fights. I do not wrap at all for training.

I got into the habit of not training after doing a little bareknuckle-influenced Muay Thai, where a much greater emphasis on conditioning the body is placed. In my previous training, emphasis was placed on aerobic and anaerobic conditioning for endurance. In the bareknuckle-influenced style of Muay Thai places a lot more emphasis is placed on conditioning the body to be strong enough to withstand extreme punishment.

No matter whose style of Muay Thai you train in, you are being trained both for aerobic and anaerobic endurance as well as to toughen up your body. But it seemed to me that the RATIO was different....

In the bareknuckle-influenced Muay Thai, we spent a lot more time doing hard contact drills designed specifically to raise your pain threshold and toughen you up. Many of these drills are without pads, or with light padding only.

Wrapping is an individual game. Here's the way I like to wrap...

I like to wrap my hands in rope, dip them in tree sap and then broken glass. I find that the rope gives adaquate support for my weak wrists and the sap smells nice. The glass, once it is covered with blood actually helps keep my hands from getting dry and chapped. The salty blood and sweet sap have a nice flavor when I do my Bruce Lee tasting the blood thing.

Some people tend to use more rope around the wrist but, I tend to use more around the knuckles to prevent the glass from cutting through to my skin. You must use a good quality rope though. I like a strong woven hemp. I have seen others use poor quality rope, like twine, and the effect just is not there. Paracord is the best but doesn't look as "tough" as a natural hemp. Also, some prefer tar to tree sap but you lose the pretty smell. Then again, tar is more eco-freindly than tree sap and holds the glass better.

Bare knuckle is always cool, but there is less drama to inspire fear in your opponant. Nothing puts fear into your opponant like rope, sap, and broken glass.

"In the bareknuckle-influenced Muay Thai, we spent a lot more time doing hard contact drills designed specifically to raise your pain threshold and toughen you up. Many of these drills are without pads, or with light padding only."

Example please

TTT for the wraplicator, talk about a totally uneccessary piece of kit

I prefer the method where you wrap in between your fingers. It holds the wrap tighter and it feels like it gives me a lot more support.

I actually was told to hit pads without wraps or gloves a few weeks ago and I thought my trainer was joking but he was not. It hurt a bit for the first minute buyt then it was fine.....until we stopped.

example?

use the really light and thin bag gloves to hit the heavy bag and pads.

We do a drill called "Extinguishing the Lamps" where we literally punch the shit out of one another at the same time. We both Jab simultaneously, using our guard hand to smother the incoming punch against our jaw. Its a painful drill, but you get used to it.

Or we stand and trade hard push kicks to the gut.

Or high kick each other with no pads. Medium hard to full power.

Or we wear light shin pads and exchange low kicks.

You need to do this style of training to toughen up and raise your pain threshold.