Hansen: I was 'manipulated' into apparel choices

Kay Hansen had a spectacular debut at UFC on ESPN 12:

•She won;

•One one week’s notice;

•Over former Invicta FC atomweight champ Jinh Yu Frey;

•Via an armbar cool enough to collect a $50,000 performance bonus and earn kudos from the mother of WMMA armbars Ronda Rousey;

•And she’s just 20 years old.

However, in a sign of MMA fans generally, and the bonkers times we are living in, reactions on the social network expressed disapproval of apparel she had worn at 18, professing support for the Pro Life movement and conservative commentator and political activist Candace Owens.

https://twitter.com/KayHansenMMA/status/1277837818400657409

Hansen expanded on her reaction in an interview with Alexander K. Lee for , explaining that  “personal home life” issues led to her apparel choice.

“I’m not ready to share my story, per se, but in the short sense, I wasn’t in an environment where I was able to think for myself,” explained Hansen. “I was manipulated and kind of heavily influenced into portraying myself in a certain way. Whether it was for marketing purposes or whatever, I was kind of in an environment and I didn’t know how to get out.”

“It’s just dumb because I’m getting a lot of heat for things that I didn’t even want to do myself at the time. I was literally 18. That’s the hardest part I think about making my debut so young on such a big stage with Invicta. Everyone messes up when they’re 18, but no one sees it. … For a little over a year now, I’ve been out of that environment I was referring to. I’ve been able to be my own person and have my own views. I’m not even the same person that I was in those pictures.”

“I’m just figuring out who I am because I was told who to be for so long. One day I’ll come out and tell my story, but it’s still kind of fresh and I’m still figuring out how to move on from it. It was an at-home situation, for sure.”

“My social media’s been blowing up since my fight. It’s kind of made me want to chuck my phone. … I feel like there’s too many people trying to put on a fake persona, and I did it too when I was 18, but I learned from it. I think people want to see genuineness, so I try to be as raw and honest and genuine as possible."

She was very young...... 1 year and change ago

She was manipulated into thinking a certain way...... until she was manipulated to think another way

What an idiot this girl is

23 Likes

Who would ever tell someone they're promoting to vocalize conservative views? If you're going to say things you don't believe, it should be done to your advantage. There's no advantage in supporting the right. All you do is generate seething hatred from the leftist mob. It's a terrible business strategy.

4 Likes
danybayamon23 -

She was manipulated into thinking a certain way...... until she was manipulated to think another way

She was teen living in the propaganda capital of the world. Is it really hard to believe ? You think you arent being manipulated 24 hours a day by advertisers and corporate news? Theres a reason its a trillion dollar industry. 

3 Likes
Gennady Goblin -

Who would ever tell someone they're promoting to vocalize conservative views? If you're going to say things you don't believe, it should be done to your advantage. There's no advantage in supporting the right. All you do is generate seething hatred from the leftist mob. It's a terrible business strategy.

Taking any type of political stance in mma is a terrible strategy. 

1 Like
danybayamon23 -

You're commenting about a girl who isn't old enough to drink or smoke.  Do you know a lot of genius/role model 19 yr olds?  Chill.

3 Likes
jgiveshead - 
danybayamon23 -

You're commenting about a girl who isn't old enough to drink or smoke.  Do you know a lot of genius/role model 19 yr olds?  Chill.

Without being mean, we can say she has several more years of being too young and naive to know what she was thinking left.

2 Likes

So now everyone has to hate Candance Owens? Which party is for the empowerment of black women again? 

15 Likes

Well at least now she's into killing babies. 

9 Likes

I didn't know Greta Thunberg was fighting in the UFC.

12 Likes
danybayamon23 -

That's all women, zero accountability for their actions always someone else's fault

4 Likes

I liked her better before

5 Likes

Wow, so cancel culture got to her, too? Fuck 2020

4 Likes
touch -

I didn't know Greta Thunberg was fighting in the UFC.

Jesus Christ, that resemblance...! Spot on. 

danybayamon23 -

The idiots are the ones causing her grief for liking a black chick. Make up your fucking mind, are we supposed to worship blacks or not? Or is it just liberal blacks? 

4 Likes
iFish - 
danybayamon23 -

The idiots are the ones causing her grief for liking a black chick. Make up your fucking mind, are we supposed to worship blacks or not? Or is it just liberal blacks? 

Liberal blacks, obviously. Have you not been paying attention?

You HAVE to worship Floyd but not allowed to like Owens or there will be consequences. 

4 Likes
Colby Covid19ington -
jgiveshead - 
danybayamon23 -

Without being mean, we can say she has several more years of being too young and naive to know what she was thinking left.

lol, "she has a few more years to come back to the dark side"

wow you guys are a bunch of mud thumping Trumpets lol, the dumb side of MMA is just so embarrassing. 

3 Likes
bhfsim -

Well at least now she's into killing babies. 

Lol, this mf'er will be like, "babie lives matter" before he says "black lives matter" i'd bet the fucking house.