Happy birthday, Eddie Alvarez!

Edward Alvarez is an American mixed martial artist who currently fights for ONE Championship. He formerly competed in the UFC and Bellator MMA, winning world titles in each: the UFC Lightweight Championship once and the Bellator Lightweight World Championship twice.

Born: 11 January 1984 (age 37 years), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

HBD

Like it soup.

Eddie is an awesome guy. Met him one day in Boston. He was fighting in bellator, weigh ins on  a Friday night. I was across the street going to a concert. Started to talking to a few dudes at bar, they were his corner. He was still at the venue 

About 1/2 hr later, eddie comes in to say hi. All by himself, just heard there were 2 fight fans across the street. He was cool as shit, hung out for a solid 10-15. Just a nice guy. Fucking hell of a fighter, but a very nice guy. Was nice to meet him and thank him for the entertainment.

1 Like
choadler -

Like it soup.

Eddie is an awesome guy. Met him one day in Boston. He was fighting in bellator, weigh ins on  a Friday night. I was across the street going to a concert. Started to talking to a few dudes at bar, they were his corner. He was still at the venue 

About 1/2 hr later, eddie comes in to say hi. All by himself, just heard there were 2 fight fans across the street. He was cool as shit, hung out for a solid 10-15. Just a nice guy. Fucking hell of a fighter, but a very nice guy. Was nice to meet him and thank him for the entertainment.

Back around 03-04 he would do 40+ hours a week at a construction job and then train at night non stop. He had his first fight with less than a year of mma training. He was getting paid more than any regional fighter at that time because he would have a ton of philly people rent out yellow school buses and go up to Atlantic City to see him fight for regional shows. Dana tried signing him a few times but always lowballed him until he finally signed. 

1 Like

He grew up down the street from one of my best childhood friends in Kensington and became a great success story. He is a real example of a champion in and out of the ring. 

1 Like