Has Born to Run ever been surpassed?

as an American rock album? Tom Petty, Mellencamp, Drive-by Truckers, Beat Farmers, Steve Earle etc all had pretty solid discs since but nothing close to Born to Run.

Would also put Nirvana, Graceland, Purple Rain and Tom Wait's Rain Dogs in the same category. Maybe even Dropkick Murphys.

Seen wild that this is almost 40 years old and still sets the standard. Since no one really makes that kind of music anymore, guess it will retire undefeated.

"Darkness" was better.

I honestly have no idea why people like that dude so much. I will say i like Rosalita and One Step Up

alittleknowledge - as an American rock album? Tom Petty, Mellencamp, Drive-by Truckers, Beat Farmers, Steve Earle etc all had pretty solid discs since but nothing close to Born to Run.

Would also put Nirvana, Graceland, Purple Rain and Tom Wait's Rain Dogs in the same category. Maybe even Dropkick Murphys.

Seen wild that this is almost 40 years old and still sets the standard. Since no one really makes that kind of music anymore, guess it will retire undefeated.
It was a good book too. Phone Post 3.0

I think Steve Earle has produced work on par with Born to Run.

Honestly Southside Johnny or Willy Deville deserve merit as well.

Bruce made a great record but it's bolstered by the fact his star became bigger.

No Born In The USA?

We wouldn't be talking about Born to Run in the same manner. Phone Post

Nebraska and The River are both better. Musically they are pretty even all the way around, but his lyrical content is better on the two later albums.

"I honestly have no idea why people like that dude so much."

I'd just always assumed it was because as a former farm kid, I have little common ground with growing up in a failing one factory East Coast town. Turns out it's actually because I'm really not a lyrics guy at all.

Damn I thought that this was going to a be a discussion about Richard Greico...

Son, I am disappoint. Phone Post 3.0

Funny over here this was discussed as well:

http://www.backstreets.com/btx/viewforum.php?f=3

As someone close to the Bruce camp told me this was his last chance at success as his first albums with Columbia did not sell well. Also Him and the E-Street band were not really making any money so it's a good thing this album happened. I think Darkness and the River are equally as good. I'm not a fan of Nebraska as the full band versions are better of those tunes.

Rambo John J - 

The book is unsurpassable.

Epic read.

RIP Caballo Blanco!!!!!

Uh, Back in Black

And Justice For All

Pearl Jam - Ten

Damn the Torpedos

I thought this was going to be about the book, lol.

Bob Dylyan has several albums that are better... Blond on Blond, Blood on the Tracks, Highway 61 Revisted.

garythekid - Springsteen seems cool and is definitely a good guitar player. But I really don't like his music. The song "Born to Run" is murder to my ears. I really just don't understand the appeal to his stuff. I think it's like cilantro, either you love it or hate it. And I loathe cilantro. Phone Post 3.0

Me too. It sounds like crap to me. Phone Post

Very much like BTR! Good album.

And love cilantro too. Wonder if there is a correlation? Phone Post 3.0

The River was a way better album than Born to Run.