Has Christianity abandoned spirit?

rolls eyes

I think at some point, it will become neccessary to retell our tales. However, when we choose to redress the mask of G-d, we should try to make a mask that is not corruptable (don't even give me the lecture on human nature and good intentions).

In the same way, one can argue that Robin Hood and Batman are cut from the same mold; we must at some point remodel our myths to include what we know now. I will never deny the power of the Bible, NT, Quran, Gita, Tao or other text. And as works of ethics, theology and philosophy, they should be standard guides. But in the same way Aesop's fables, Plato's Republic, Ayn Rand and Frank Miller's Batam Year One are considered myths to guide us- we must understand the place of religion and not become its servant. Further, I say we must reshape our religions. I am sure Christianity has undergone numerous revolutions just as Judaism has (eg: before the 17th cent, "black hatters" did not exist).

However, now is time for a lofty dream. While the world is balkanizing, should our spiritual leaders come together, and give us a grand unified theology with common myths we all know and understand, we will have one more tool of love and one less of hate. Should they sit down, and remove the current pathological elements and only reform the elements that strengthen us, a few generations may soar higher than ever.

And don't give me the lecture about human nature and good intentions.

MS

"However, now is time for a lofty dream. While the world is balkanizing, should our spiritual leaders come together, and give us a grand unified theology with common myths we all know and understand, we will have one more tool of love and one less of hate."

The Ecumenical ideal is common throughout history. Many religions would have no problem with it - i.e. Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. as they consider themselves one of the many paths to God.

Christianity is diffent and distinct in this regard. Christ himself says that "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through me."

If religion is nothing more than a vehicle to realize the innate good & godhood in all of us, than a combined self-help/self-actualization program should suffice.

If, however, this creation and all of us are designed to serve and glorify a god that is outside and apart from ourselves and fight against evil angels and demons, this requires a different methodology and serious investigation into the identity, requirements, and proper methodologies of the true God.

I'm a Pentecostal

dogface

You could focus on the common message that exists in all religions: love.

To love yourself despite your bad qualities, to love other people despite their wrong doings.

You should try it.

I know, I´m being repetitive...

But ain't it the main lesson we have to learn in this life?

" 'I say we must reshape our religions. '
yep. they are dead to me otherwise. "

...or maybe you're dead to them.

However, now is time for a lofty dream. While the world is balkanizing, should our spiritual leaders come together, and give us a grand unified theology with common myths we all know and understand, we will have one more tool of love and one less of hate. Should they sit down, and remove the current pathological elements and only reform the elements that strengthen us, a few generations may soar higher than ever.

This does eventually happen Martial Shadow. His Name is the Antichrist, He will bring everyone together under 1 modern, Good Religion, a religion apart from God, A religion about ourselves

I was liking Martialshadow's post until this 666 Omen stuff got me scared

And I would argue the elements within current faiths that would not be open to the idea of a global spiritual reformation and unification are pathological (today, in the past they were neccessary for survival). Buddhists who refuse to listen to the story of Jesus, Muslims who refuse to hear what Hindus learned from Krishna, Jews who leave the table when the conversation turns to Neopaganism and so on. At one point in history, this phobia-like insular behavior and needed to make sure offspring did not contaminate the faith and introduce impure elements. However, today we must move past this. It SHOULD (ought vs. is arguement) no longer be Catholic vs. Protestant, Jews vs. Muslim, Taoist vs. Confucianist, etc. It should be a brotherhood of man, as all the prophets spoke of.

Jews believe in the end of days, while all idol worshippers will die off, all the righteous people (Jews and non-Jew) will live together in peace, their righteousness and love of life and G-d being the basis for that Messianic society. Christians believe that after defeating the anti-Christ and the tribulations, Jesus will unite the survivors and rule a kingdom of love and righteousness from Jerusalem. Buddhists believe that Maitreya will come and unite the world with wisdom, so all will dwell in peace.

I can go on, the point is that all faiths basically believe that after a period of great pain and purification, the survivors- united under a leader- will live in peace and harmony. My idea is simple and can be summed up in the Talmudic arguement "There is no Messiah, and you are it." The idea that the Messiah is not coming and we are the ones who must "fix" the world and make him come. Why wait on a fairy tale? Let's make it happen. Let's get together and with our great great great grand children's lives in mind, let's give them myths to live by; the old myths dressed up in different cloth.

Oh, and before anyone accuses me of being a hippie, anarchist, vegan, commie, tree-hugging, libertarian; you should know I eat meat I am right-wing, communatarian, omnivorius, capitalist who contacted several militaries around the globe but could not get anything they said that I liked in a written contract so gave up on the idea.

MS