Has Rigan lost all your respect yet? How about ...

I think I remember discussing this before and Ashton earned his purple and is at purple level.
Rigan is exploiting a niche market and designed a program to meet that niche, and I give full credit to him for making $$ because in the end, people need to get paid and money talks louder than anything. People forget that a lot of old school BJJers only have BJJ to make money.
Personally, his program sounds BETTER for people 45 and up and is the type of program needed for older practitioners.

not at all, he is a grown man with a business to run 

Nah I am fine w Rigan.  Hell his program sounds a lot more like Gracie Combatives at a cursory glance really.  People have to get out of their heads that everyone wants to jump full on to some grand spartan approach to training.  Hell the origins of bjj had the Gracies pretty much teaching using these sorts of programs, limited sparring, flow drills and small group classes to rich people in order to ease them into full on training.  So this honestly isn't anything new, no reason for people to get their panties bunched up.  When it comes to raw beginners a solid fundamentals program that is like a Gracie Combatives or I guess this would be better for student retention and skill development anyways.

So getting paid is now a excuse to change the way the sport is taught? 

checkuroil -

If anything this seems to be more in line w how the Gracies in Rio were teaching upper establishment

checkuroil - 

I know what you mean but the sport is already taught differently to different types.  Competition team type classes vs regular classes vs beginner classes to start with.

Then I heard of schools that have executive classes (for older guys) and self defense for women etc.  

But yeah, we're not far from the days where people will start saying, "We train combat bjj, not the wussy technique only version".  Kind of like what happened to Karate and every other martial art.

I think that celebrities in general merely take private lessons and not group classes with the general public. This doesn't seem any different to me. I will say that I certainly have more respect for those celebrities willing to take group classes. Most people like myself can't afford to take private classes. In the end, I could care less what Rigan or celebrities do, and I would just worry about what it takes to get the kind of training and results you personally are looking for. Not everyone is looking for the same things.

...now waiting for some black belt on this forum to say something along the lines of, "that's easy for you to say if you aren't a black belt and haven't devoted XX years of your life to this. blah blah blah...

checkuroil -

Sure. Why not? Have you read any BJJ history? It has changed many times. Reading some of the very early history has really opened my eyes. Teach it the way you want. He's not training full-time practitioners seeking a place in the world championships. 

i dont like when things get watered down - as i fear for the trickle down effect. In and of itself - these programs are fine. It doesn't hurt anyone, but if it spreads that can weaken/soften the sport even more. To me that would be a huge loss.

I suppose if this style of BJJ gets people on the mats and starting a healthier lifestyle, then that's a good thing.

So long as they do not get belted.

Boxercise still has value for lots of people, and it doesn't seem to take anything away from the sport of boxing. Maybe this can work in the same way.

Samuraidog - 
lts5025 -

Rigan lost my respect when he gave a black belt to that rapist in Texas.

I couldn't care less about Cheese Whiz learning fake jiu-jitsu.

I don't mean to derail the original conversation, but what is the truth behind this? I'd never heard the story, so I did a google search, but the narrative is somewhat confusing.

One site shows a signed letter from Rigan stating he never promoted the guy and has no ties with him.

http://georgetteoden.blogspot.com/2017/03/did-rigan-machado-knowingly-promote.html

What is the bottom line? Did Rigan promote the guy to black with knowledge of the guy's shady history? I've always had a lot of respect for Rigan, so I'm hoping this is not true. 

FWIW, I was told that Bob Bass, Rigan's (really the Machado's) frist BBs called him and asked him. Rigan said he promoted him. I also have 2 Rigan BB's who regularly come to class. When I asked them, they said they heard the same, via different channels.

Hey, I used to wear a hoodie under my gi fuckers. 

Had to cut weight a week out 9f a tournament and I wasn't about to give up my red meat.

shen -

The cops, doctors, stuntmen, soldiers, engineers, teachers, etc. who train in actual BJJ CAN be injured -- no problem-- but NOT the all-important celebrity!

--That's just a risk which we as a society are simply not willing to take; we must keep our precious celebrities safe, at all costs. Rigan is doing the lord's work, IMO.

I train with doctors who can't risk their hands.

Also a hairdresser whose business would suffer if a wrist lock went too far.

An actor breaks his hand and an entire production screeches to a halt.

So, yes, some people can't risk live sparring.

Should they receive BJJ belts? No, but what's so wrong with letting them train in a suitable environment?

Robobear -

Hey, I used to wear a hoodie under my gi fuckers. 

Had to cut weight a week out 9f a tournament and I wasn't about to give up my red meat.

If it's a cold day and my back's acting up?

Yeah, I go with the hoodie 

My school is apart of the Team Rigan Machado. In other words, we rep Rigan here in Colorado. Rigan is legit. He has many legit black belt instructors and fighters.

LOL @ "Rigan is legit"

Also, this just in: Water -- WET!

:)

Maybe they're not being promoted yet, handing out belts is the next step.

I suggest shiny golden belts, with diamonds. I mean, they're celebrities right?

m.g - My school is apart of the Team Rigan Machado. In other words, we rep Rigan here in Colorado. Rigan is legit. He has many legit black belt instructors and fighters.
One of my training partners is a rigan bb and he is more than legit and tough as fuck especially for how old he is. Dude eats nails and screws for lunch and bathes in glass shards while rubbing acetone into his hair for gel

shen -

The cops, doctors, stuntmen, soldiers, engineers, teachers, etc. who train in actual BJJ CAN be injured -- no problem-- but NOT the all-important celebrity!

--That's just a risk which we as a society are simply not willing to take; we must keep our precious celebrities safe, at all costs. Rigan is doing the lord's work, IMO.

LOL

Funny.

Rigan came to Utah to do a seminar a while back and talked about this topic of teaching celebs. Mentioned that when filming that even a bruise on the face is a huge deal. Lot of money is getting invested upfront into making a movie and injuries can cost delays, etc. Seems like a tricky issue to deal with.

As long as a student knows how to tie his belt correctly and does so for pics then I don't really care what his skills are on the mat.