Has the quality control gone for good with the UFC

Cards of today?

Last night's card on paper was atrocious. Simple.

But many cards have been like that, too. In reality, we could have a UFC 100-Esque card evry other time due to how big Zuff'a roster is.

Fights like Davis/Machida are beyond pointless. The card was more-or-less ALL filler.

The FOX events are what the numbered events used to be, IMO. Filled cards with the best fighting the best.

Up!

Yes, but this is what they want - cards filled with cheap talent.

i've definitely lost interest in the ufc as of late. but it has its ups and downs i guess. the last two cards were terrible imo. the fox event had about 50% empty seats (compared to last time in seattle when it was sold out) and the rio card was just plain out unamusing.

You guys are totally unrealistic. You can't have the best vs the best every card. There aren't that many "the best" fighters. You NEED to build up and coming talent.

Or it will turn into what boxing is now. Just a few old dogs with names and a sport filled with champions no one knows or cares about.

Personally I love the under card fights on FX. They are all trying to make a name and leave a good impression Phone Post

The real problem is all the PPV fighters are playing it safe not to get cut, or the safe win to put them in title contention.

No one willing to take a risk, everyone fighting so similar. Makes it boring Phone Post

Bloodstorm - 

You guys are totally unrealistic. You can't have the best vs the best every card. There aren't that many "the best" fighters. You NEED to build up and coming talent.

Or it will turn into what boxing is now. Just a few old dogs with names and a sport filled with champions no one knows or cares about.

Personally I love the under card fights on FX. They are all trying to make a name and leave a good impression Phone Post

Boxing is THRIVING at the moment because the big fights are being made! It's the healthiest it's been in ages.

But, you know, let's put a pointless fight on like Davis (Zzzz) and Machida (Zzzz) and the winner gets no closer to a title shot...

The UFC is fine. Not every card is perfect, but I would much rather have more cards then less. I live how people bitch like someone is forcing you to buy or watch every single one. Watch the ones that interest you. Phone Post

Bloodstorm - The real problem is all the PPV fighters are playing it safe not to get cut, or the safe win to put them in title contention.

No one willing to take a risk, everyone fighting so similar. Makes it boring Phone Post

Much more this than "too many cards". A lot of these guys scratch and claw for years on local circuits to get a single shot in the big leagues, where your only chance to make a decent payday is, and then if you make one mistake, you're shipped back to the local circuits for an indeterminate period of time. The instability can naturally breed nervous fighters. Phone Post

Last night was horrible. I fell asleep during the main event. Tired of spending $60 to watch two guys try not to lose. Being a fan of MMA sucks sometimes. Not a "just bleed" fan. But I do expect both guys to try to finish. I don't care so much about big names just want to see good competitive fights. Their were some definite highlights last night. But they didn't make it worth the $60. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, because I long for the days of Franklin/Okami, Chuck vs Vernon white and couture vs coleman.  Card quality hasnt decreased... Expectations have increased.

this is the short term cost of getting so much more free UFC.  a few years ago you got zero prelim fights... now you get all of them.

a few years ago you had 6 free fight nights a year... now you have 18 free fight nights a year.  THe amount of free UFC fights have mutliplied by 6.  You get 6 times as many free UFC fights today than you did a few years ago.

big_roy_fan - every PPV in brazil is not THAT great.

UFC 134 was great.
ufc 142 was good.
ufc 147 = not that great
ufc 153 = not that great
ufc 163 = not that great

the ufc isn't dying, they just put brazilian fighters on the brazil card and a lot of people who aren't brazilian don't really know who they are.

Cezar Fereira vs Clint hester would have been a sick fight, and lineker is a beast he deserved the PPv slot, just hopefully he can make weight next time
I thought 153 was awesome. Also in regards to OP I think this card would've looked and been much better with the Maia koscheck fight and aldo pettis fight Phone Post 3.0

They're building the brand and slowly trimming the fat. Nothing happens overnight. The amount of quality cards per year has never been this high.. If you're going to constantly dwell on a card that didnt make you happy you're not going to see the big picture. And fuck, if you're a fight fan you'll be happy regardless who's out there so maybe you should find another sport, you ain't no "fan". Phone Post 3.0

john_d1974 -

the ufc has been putting on shit cards for YEARS!

they shold do 3 ppv per year and let the fans get some decents fights, not like the lower league shit they usually show.

Yeah fucking right. And if they do that?

"The UFC only puts on 3 events a year OMG they suck Dana White is stupid"

You guys are never fucking happy. Phone Post 3.0

Tilla -
Bloodstorm -  You guys are totally unrealistic. You can't have the best vs the best every card. There aren't that many "the best" fighters. You NEED to build up and coming talent.

Boxing is THRIVING at the moment because the big fights are being made! It's the healthiest it's been in ages.

But, you know, let's put a pointless fight on like Davis (Zzzz) and Machida (Zzzz) and the winner gets no closer to a title shot...

Really thriving? I can ask 10 so/so boxing fans to name me 4 boxing champions. Not including PBF only one could do it. My wife has watched one UFC card this year & should could name you 3 current champs (not 4 because she would say Anderson lol). In boxing there are many more weight classes and more titles the WWE in each one. On top of that the HW division is about dead. Phone Post

In the past I've heard

Mlgive us more free fights
There is no one in tbat division
So they sign new talent sometimes even purchase whole organizations and give us free fights almost every month.
There is no pleasing the masses. Phone Post

THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX -
MasterofMartialArts - 
john_d1974 -

the ufc has been putting on shit cards for YEARS!

they shold do 3 ppv per year and let the fans get some decents fights, not like the lower league shit they usually show.

Yeah fucking right. And if they do that?

"The UFC only puts on 3 events a year OMG they suck Dana White is stupid"

You guys are never fucking happy. Phone Post 3.0

I'd be happy with 12 STACKED ppv's a year and thats it. and they could EASILY do that. I dont need free ufc on tv. I WANT to spend my money on a kick ass PPV and be excited to do so. cards with 1-2 fights you care about or want to see has been a major downer.
I would too, but my point is that no matter what the UFC does, fans won't be happy.

Nobody says how great of a matchmaker Joe Silva is, only time he's brought up is when there's a match nobody likes, and most of the time it's a second or third resort.
"Joe Silva sucks... How does he have a job?"

Really?!!???

Joe Silva does a great job, people hardly bring up all the good fights he makes.

Then the UFC brings in the smaller weights....
"Nobody wants to see a couple of midgets go at it"
"They never finish fights"

What the fuck???

UFC brings double the amount of free fights to TV....
"These are all watered down cards"
"We want bigger fights on FOX"
"We want the big fights on PPV"

Really??!???

Jim Miller vs Diaz on fox and you fuckers aren't happy? Shogun vs Vera as the main event for FREE and y'all aren't happy? Benson beat the SHIT out of Diaz on live TV... Still aren't happy?

Get my point?

These fans will always complain...... Phone Post 3.0

It is time for cross promotional fights! Phone Post 3.0

There's too many cards, I want less cards and better fights. Phone Post 3.0

Bloodstorm - 
Tilla -
Bloodstorm -  You guys are totally unrealistic. You can't have the best vs the best every card. There aren't that many "the best" fighters. You NEED to build up and coming talent.

Really thriving? I can ask 10 so/so boxing fans to name me 4 boxing champions. Not including PBF only one could do it. My wife has watched one UFC card this year & should could name you 3 current champs (not 4 because she would say Anderson lol). In boxing there are many more weight classes and more titles the WWE in each one. On top of that the HW division is about dead. Phone Post

So because you ask ten people a question, that means the sport is dead? Ok...

Boxing is on a VERY big high, at the moment. Fact.