This is what Stipe has done in the past three years:

Lost by decision to Junior dos Santos
Beat a middle of the pack LHW Fabio Maldonado who fought on short notice
Decisioned Gabriel Gonzaga
Decisioned Roy Nelson
Got TKO'd by Stefan Struve
TKO'd Shane del Rosario
KO'd Philip De Fries

He didn't finish anyone of note and he was more impressive in his loss to JDS than anything else.

This is what Travis did in the same period:

TKO'd Brendan Schaub
Lost a decision to Fabricio Werdum
Crushed Josh Barnett's head in
KO'd Alistair Overeem
Crushed Gabriel Gonzaga's head in
Got TKO'd after a leg injury by Antonio Silva
Submitted a journeyman LHW in Chad Griggs

Travis finished Barnett, Gonzaga and Schaub all badly.

Here is what JDS has done in the past 3 years:

Squeaked out a hard fought decision against Stipe
Got his shit pushed in twice by Cain Velasquez
Spectacularly finished Mark Hunt
TKO'd Frank Mir who hasn't won in three years and has looked like a punching bag.

Outside of the fact that my algo ranks solely by the numbers and head-to-head wins, just looking at those records an excellent case can be made for Travis. I think the algo is correct.
Stipe has been more impressive imo.alsp brpwne should have been dqed for the gonzaga fight. But to each their own. If they fight each other next I pick stipe. A close loss to jds that many scored for him is better than anything brownes done. Phone Post 3.0

Just on finishes alone Travis is superior imo. Stipe has finished no one in the top 16 and got solidly TKO'd by #16 while Travis has finished three top 16 guys, got weirdly tko'd by #11 and finished a a fourth guy who is right there outside of ranking only because of inactivity.

finishing people doesnt define my rankings. maybe yours. good day. 

Now I remember why I stopped doing this...

Here's the HW rankings by an actual ranking system (http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/heavyweight-265-lbs/). Haulport's rankings are in the brackets in front of the fighter's name.

1. Cain Velasquez
2. Fabricio Werdum (2)
3. Junior dos Santos (4)
4. Andrei Arlovski (UR)
5. Travis Browne (3)
6. Mark Hunt (5)
7. Antonio Silva (12)
8. Ben Rothwell (8)
9. Alistair Overeem (16)
10. Stipe Miocic (6)
11. Josh Barnett (UR)
12. Vitaly Minakov (13)
13. Roy Nelson (7)
14. Marcin Tybura (UR)
15. Matt Mitrione (9)
16. Alexey Oleinik (UR)
17. Alexander Volkov (14)
18. Cheick Kongo (15)
22. Brendan Schaub (11)
23. Antonio Nogueira (UR)
24. Gabriel Gonzaga (10)

Haulport - Now I remember why I stopped doing this...
Yeah voted up for the effort. Like I said there are a few things in your rankings I disagree with, but it's not that far off and it opens up debate. Phone Post 3.0

Matt Mitrione is a dark horse.
If matched favorably he could be champ someday.

nni - Here's the HW rankings by an actual ranking system (http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/heavyweight-265-lbs/). Haulport's rankings are in the brackets in front of the fighter's name.

1. Cain Velasquez
2. Fabricio Werdum (2)
3. Junior dos Santos (4)
4. Andrei Arlovski (UR)
5. Travis Browne (3)
6. Mark Hunt (5)
7. Antonio Silva (12)
8. Ben Rothwell (8)
9. Alistair Overeem (16)
10. Stipe Miocic (6)
11. Josh Barnett (UR)
12. Vitaly Minakov (13)
13. Roy Nelson (7)
14. Marcin Tybura (UR)
15. Matt Mitrione (9)
16. Alexey Oleinik (UR)
17. Alexander Volkov (14)
18. Cheick Kongo (15)
22. Brendan Schaub (11)
23. Antonio Nogueira (UR)
24. Gabriel Gonzaga (10)

More reasons why I stopped doing this...

And lol at "real"... Antonio Silva has NOT WON a fight since MAY of 2013. Ok? That's over a year-and-a-half without a win but the "real" system has him at #7. In the past three years he has:

- Been a jobber for Cain TWICE. not even competitive
- Got easily KO'd by Arlovski
- Had a war with Hunt that most thought he lost but was a draw
- Had a solid KO over Overeem
- Had a weird TKO over Browne

Meanwhile the "real" ranking system has Overeem at #9 and he is 2-3 in the past three years (getting KO'd 3 fucking times) with his only wins over a WINLESS Frank Mir (no wins in 3 years) and a TKO over Struve who was out for over a year-and-a-half suffering from a heart condition and panic attacks.

AND...they have Arlovski who eeked out a split decision win over Schaub (their #22), KO'd Bigfoot, got WRECKED by AJ (a LHW) and fought no one else of any merit whatsoever ranked at #4!!!!!!!

LOL at those rankings being anything but dog crap...

Uni man - 
Haulport - Now I remember why I stopped doing this...
Yeah voted up for the effort. Like I said there are a few things in your rankings I disagree with, but it's not that far off and it opens up debate. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks. I was putting this out as a prelude to doing a Fan Ranking system where the UG could vote and now I have just zero desire to put in the effort...

Fuck the UG...for real

If Overeem could domes with Hunto he would be unstoppable. Nobody has the skills and technique he does at HW. He's been knocked out before but he seems to rebound well and is a very articulate guy. Phone Post 3.0

KOphil25 - If Overeem could domes with Hunto he would be unstoppable. Nobody has the skills and technique he does at HW. He's been knocked out before but he seems to rebound well and is a very articulate guy. Phone Post 3.0
Could switch* Phone Post 3.0

KOphil25 - 
KOphil25 - If Overeem could domes with Hunto he would be unstoppable. Nobody has the skills and technique he does at HW. He's been knocked out before but he seems to rebound well and is a very articulate guy. Phone Post 3.0

Mos def. Overeem's chin has been an issue from early in his career. He would be beyond frightening if he had a Chuck or Hunto kind of chin...

Haulport -
KOphil25 - 

Mos def. Overeem's chin has been an issue from early in his career. He would be beyond frightening if he had a Chuck or Hunto kind of chin...
Imo he could also spend some time strictly on boxing and movement Phone Post 3.0

KOphil25 - 
Haulport -
KOphil25 - 

Imo he could also spend some time strictly on boxing and movement Phone Post 3.0

I agree, but it often seems like he gasses (been happening since he was at 205) and he just stops moving and gets DEMOLISHED...

Haulport,

I can see why your rankings are so off, considering that in your calculations you include variables such as: "weird KO", "draw where most thought he lost" and "not competitive with the champ".

You have too many variables that are purely subjective, which is not a good way to go when making a ranking of any kind.

You also don't seem to consider the rankings that fighters had at the time they fought, nor do you have any sort of "accumulation" of points element.

Cheers,

nni - Haulport,

I can see why your rankings are so off, considering that in your calculations you include variables such as: "weird KO", "draw where most thought he lost" and "not competitive with the champ".

You have too many variables that are purely subjective, which is not a good way to go when making a ranking of any kind.

You also don't seem to consider the rankings that fighters had at the time they fought, nor do you have any sort of "accumulation" of points element.

Cheers,

My algo does not include any of the things you stated. It is based on the manner in which you won (KO, TKO, TKO by doctor stoppage, TKO by injury, Decision, Split Decision, etc.). My descriptions of fights on this thread is to point out how fights have gone for people so you can have the human analysis of the mathematical results.

JDS is a perfect example to look at. People see him as the guy who beats everyone except Cain and, thus, ranks him high. Because Fabricio is the interim champ they rank him #2 now over JDS. But the REALITY is that JDS has looked bad in three of his last four fights and he is 3-2 in the last 3 years with only ONE notable, solid-performance win (Hunt). Travis has BRUTALLY KO'd Barnett, Gonzaga, Overeem & Schaub in the same time period only losing a decision to Werdum and a weird, injury fight to Bigfoot over two years ago.

People let the PAST account for far too much in ranking athletes whose abilities constantly change and often dimish quickly. There is too much bad intuition being used in people's assessments of REALITY and so they freak out when they see that AA doesn't have enough top fights to be ranked right now, nor does Barnett or that Bigfoot is lower down than the UFC rankings regardless of how poorly they have performed. Many people feel that one win over a 2-3 guy should propel you to the #4 HW position. That is absurd to me.

IMO my rankings are not off. Something like Fightmatrix is insanely off (as I pointed out previously).

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you have any other questions about the algo.