Have a legit belt in BJJ? Based in the UK?

Then register it on the new UK BJJ Belt Register!!

http://www.ukbjjbeltregister.org

--------------

I just wanted to make more people aware that this website exists. The more it is used the more we can weed out fake belts and keep away the problems TMA’s have been facing for years.

My training partner Sean Browne has set up the UK BJJ Belt Register (http://www.ukbjjbeltregister.org) where all BJJ practitioners can update their profile including belt rank and competition success.

This will in time be an invaluable resource for the UK BJJ scene, so don’t be shy, get involved and get yourself registered!!!

http://www.ukbjjbeltregister.org Phone Post 3.0

Like. Will do :-) Phone Post

Serious question: what stops fake belts from just signing up as X belt? Do you take steps to verify the belt rank? If so, what are the criteria used?

I'm not in the UK, I'm just curious. I've seen a number of sites like this, but it doesn't seem like they actually verify belt rank.

The uk has a very tight community good at self policing. Phone Post 3.0

It's not my site, but as I understand it the belt is not posted on the site unless the person can provide proof of belt being awarded. A mod must verify all submissions before they are visible.

When I registered my blue belt I posted a link to my clubs belt register where my name can be found. Phone Post 3.0

a register of black belts I get but one that includes blues etc - who cares ?

thebasher - a register of black belts I get but one that includes blues etc - who cares ?
i think the idea is that it's a trackable option, if you can verify when/where a player gets his blue/purple/brown before black it further dispels any question of legitimacy.

Also I think the top ten competition rankings for age/belt/sex are an awesome feature. Phone Post 3.0

They used to do this (in the U.S.) at BJJ.org. However, in a matter of years I think it became almost "undo-able", --just too many people doing BJJ to keep an accurate tally of colored belts.

I suspect the same thing will happen in the UK. I would take the long view and just concentrate on BB's or MAYBE Brown & BBs if you can because long term tracking of colored belts will become a full-time job. The list will become inaccurate quickly and people won't trust it for anything if you try to account for everyone.

People will say, "Oh that UK Belt Registry is a joke, My friend isn't on it and he's been a Purple belt for a year and my cousin isn't listed as a Blue" etc. My vote is just to do one thing well: track BBs.

shen - They used to do this (in the U.S.) at BJJ.org. However, it will likely soon be "undo-able" in the UK, just as it has become undo-able in the US. there are simply too many people to keep track of ALL people of all ranks. I would concentrate on BB's or Brown & BBs if you can.
did the US register allow people to register their own belts, with a verification by mod? Phone Post 3.0

Hywel Teague - 
shen - They used to do this (in the U.S.) at BJJ.org. However, it will likely soon be "undo-able" in the UK, just as it has become undo-able in the US. there are simply too many people to keep track of ALL people of all ranks. I would concentrate on BB's or Brown & BBs if you can.

The UK population is so much smaller though, shouldn't be an issue for a long time Phone Post

Oh... well, yeah, in that case nevermind. Lol.

MrTickleBJJ - 
did the US register allow people to register their own belts, with a verification by mod? Phone Post 3.0

BJJ org was widely used/trusted because of a perception that there was some sort of "vetting process", though I don't know what exactly that was. You didn't "enter yourself" though.

These days, OTM has one similar to the proposed UK version where you enter your own info, then I suppose they "check" it. I just don't know.

I think the simple fact that in one THEY enter you and in another YOU enter yourself, gave the former a greater sense of accuracy/legitimacy. But, I'm not sure how correct that perception is.

I see, yea this new register for the UK is definitely closer to the former.

I suppose we must wait and see if it works, I k ow who's operating it so I'll give my thoughts and comments to him as I see how it goes I suppose.

If any UK guys have any thoughts etc I can pass on... Phone Post 3.0

Who is running the site? There is a list on the UK bjj underground facebook page too Phone Post

Hi Guys,

I created the site. I am greatful to my training partner Ryan for mentioning it here.

Initially, it was to be just a verified belt register and I agree, who really cares who is a blue belt or not, even purple or brown. Unless they are teaching or you are their mum!

Anyway, as the idea progressed, my primary concern was managability. I have tried to put as much on the user as possible and ensure verification is simply a click or two. This seems to be working.

I have taken the Blackbelt list from the Facebook underground and converted it from a static list to a database driven page which is sortable on any of the fields. Next I will link the names to the profiles of black belts who have registered so you can go in, see their picture, bio, club details even competition results should they wish to add them. (I was well impressed with Nick Brooks' medal table http://www.ukbjjbeltregister.org/user.php?id=225)

One of my favourite features is the postcode searcable BJJ club directory which tells you how many miles to your nearest clubs.

I think in time, the competitor rankings will be fun, especially when it is split by belt. Need more mass first.

I have LOTS of ideas I want to implement and look forward to it growing into a useful and interesting resource.

Of course it is essential that it stays up to date which I will ensure happens.

ps. To answer question how vetting works.. you register, and you provide proof. It doesn't matter what form it takes as long as it is clear. For example, a link to their club website or maybe a link to a photo getting their brown belt from Professor De La Riva ;-) Out of about 100 registrants I have had 2 I can find no record of. I have emailed their instructors but had no reply as yet so they stay de-activated.

I think manageability will be the downfall. Just in terms of your own time and input you can't be expected to be inputting blue belts every week for the next ten years!
I think... Similar thing happened with slideyfoot bjj clubs map - new clubs all the time, moving addresses, closing down etc
If there are 2000 (?) blue belts in the country and you only have 1500 listed then it's just not comprehensive enough to be a reliable resource. And if not reliable for blues then it is likely to be perceived as not reliable for the other belts either (ie black)
Just being a skeptic - as per the UK bjj underground, I think a black belt register is a very good idea. With pics per profile for id too. Phone Post

ttt Phone Post 3.0

Just registered and shared the link with my team Phone Post 3.0

sub

I'm sure Sean can fix that for you David! Phone Post 3.0

ttt Phone Post 3.0