Have any of you ever changed your life around...

So much to the point that what you used to do feels like it was in a previous life?

I used to be lazy mofo who'd smoke weed all day around my buddy's house and play the PS2 and watch DVD's. We did that for years.

Fast forward a few years and I don't smoke, rarely drink, fallen back into Reading Books etc. Grown up, basically. But it feels so long ago that I used to do what I did for ages that it feels like 25 years ago and not 5 years ago.

Anyone else done anything like that/changed etc?

Maybe you should turn it around again. Your "previous life" sounds amazing. Phone Post 3.0

Good for you bro.

Trying to do the same with my life. 3 years ago I was a major pothead, dreadlocks, working at taco bell. Now I'm an EMT, preceptor of a mental health unit and look the part. I'm still in process of implementing what I'm calling "Operation Man Up". Phone Post 3.0

Dead President - Maybe you should turn it around again. Your "previous life" sounds amazing. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah Book Reedin' doesn't sound as good as Xbox or horror films on DVD.

Why don't you guys really get your shit together and man up whilst still toking the herbal remedies?

Just cuz you're growin up and were lazy doesn't mean it was reefer's fault.

But kudos all the same, gents.

Dead President - Maybe you should turn it around again. Your "previous life" sounds amazing. Phone Post 3.0

HAHAHA. VU for making me laugh!

Sogflop - Good for you bro.

Trying to do the same with my life. 3 years ago I was a major pothead, dreadlocks, working at taco bell. Now I'm an EMT, preceptor of a mental health unit and look the part. I'm still in process of implementing what I'm calling "Operation Man Up". Phone Post 3.0

Good going!

dirtysouthjits - Why don't you guys really get your shit together and man up whilst still toking the herbal remedies?

You're right. However, people are different and personally I do still partake from time to time (something I also realize is not worth losing my new job/new life over).

But yeah, everybody is different. Phone Post 3.0

Yup. I had to stop getting angry at everything. Stress is a motherfucker. I know I sometimes portray being angry here but it's more or less an act. In real life I used to get pissed at everything. Someone cuts me off i'm losing my shit screaming at the windshield. I'm much more at peace lately.

1) I used to work CRAZY hours for over a decade: Full time job (40h/week) in prison. + part time job (20h/week) bouncing at nightclubs + "full time" studying. (I did a lot of studying during work hours as well. And used all vacation time to attend mandatory lectures and exams, so I literally didn't have a vacation for years and years.) Pretty much always having a cold or infection.

2) Today I spend my week as my own boss. I sit right now mixing working (research) and OGing in my own cabin. I am sipping some wine - not too much - to get a bit more fluent and creative in my writing. I sleep for as long as I want. Always rested. Back in the city I make day-to-day decisions if I'm even going to work or if I'll take a day off, go to the gym and COD on the Xbox instead. I am never sick.

1 lead to 2, (PhD and zero student loans) so I'm not sure if it counts as "turning your life around", but it is a stark difference to say the least. Most people want 2 but not 1.

David@accu - 

Yup. I had to stop getting angry at everything. Stress is a motherfucker. I know I sometimes portray being angry here but it's more or less an act. In real life I used to get pissed at everything. Someone cuts me off i'm losing my shit screaming at the windshield. I'm much more at peace lately.

+1

Bein an angry young man is alright for a while but over time it wears you down. Angry teenager turned angry young man turning angry adult... I felt like I was constantly having a raised pulse almost wanting people to piss me off. I just felt it wasn't healthy, the way you feel when you are bending a joint in the wrong direction.

Changing work and getting a family along with a conscious decision to "relax" made all the difference. 

Before I met my wife and my daughters were born I was an alcoholic and a womanizer. Now I drink only few times a year and barely have sex lol Phone Post 3.0

Sogflop - 
dirtysouthjits - Why don't you guys really get your shit together and man up whilst still toking the herbal remedies?

You're right. However, people are different and personally I do still partake from time to time (something I also realize is not worth losing my new job/new life over).

But yeah, everybody is different. Phone Post 3.0

I completely understand, sir. I was just fuckin with y'all.

I mean, I do think one can be successful and be a pothead, but I couldn't agree more about it being different for everyone.

For some it's alcohol or pills, for some sex, or weed, or masturbating at the park. Moderation, yo.

So congrats on your success, likewise for the others.
I believe constant improvement is the only chance one has to maintain sanity through life.

Used to be a 300lb unmotivated kid who just wanted to play video games and eat(lol). Only a handful of people thought I would graduate high school, let alone go to college. 2 years of high school down and only my credits were only equivalent to 1 year. Changed schools, went through summer school, finished high school on time(shocking). I got accepted into college to study graphic design, although only for an associates degree because my grades weren't good enough for the bachelors program. Finished my first year of college with like a 3.6 gpa w/ deans list both semesters. Got moved into the bachelors program for the next year, although I was down credits. Made up all the credits and graduated on time with a gpa high enough for magna cum laude. Also won an award for graphic design at graduation. I graduated in May, and as far as I know i'm the only one from graduating graphic design class to have a job in the field. The job I did get in the field, I didn't even apply to, they came to me, they courted me. I now make 25/hour with up to 70 hours a week when we're really busy (political advertising agency, sept/oct will be very busy, making LOTS of money :)) at an entry level job, we also have a cook who comes in during the week and makes our meals. I'm saving for a house and should have the down payment saved within 2 years. I also lost all the weight, from 300 to 160, now i'm up to 165 trying to gain more muscle. I exercise daily now, I also went on to start training and have won multiple tournaments in sport karate, and dominated a lot of fights against guys with more experience than me.

I went from a fat loser kid who was never supposed to graduate high school, to a skinny guy having a lot of fun and making good money and looking forward to the future.

Jhay - Used to be a 300lb unmotivated kid who just wanted to play video games and eat(lol). Only a handful of people thought I would graduate high school, let alone go to college. 2 years of high school down and only my credits were only equivalent to 1 year. Changed schools, went through summer school, finished high school on time(shocking). I got accepted into college to study graphic design, although only for an associates degree because my grades weren't good enough for the bachelors program. Finished my first year of college with like a 3.6 gpa w/ deans list both semesters. Got moved into the bachelors program for the next year, although I was down credits. Made up all the credits and graduated on time with a gpa high enough for magna cum laude. Also won an award for graphic design at graduation. I graduated in May, and as far as I know i'm the only one from graduating graphic design class to have a job in the field. The job I did get in the field, I didn't even apply to, they came to me, they courted me. I now make 25/hour with up to 70 hours a week when we're really busy (political advertising agency, sept/oct will be very busy, making LOTS of money :)) at an entry level job, we also have a cook who comes in during the week and makes our meals. I'm saving for a house and should have the down payment saved within 2 years. I also lost all the weight, from 300 to 160, now i'm up to 165 trying to gain more muscle. I exercise daily now, I also went on to start training and have won multiple tournaments in sport karate, and dominated a lot of fights against guys with more experience than me.

I went from a fat loser kid who was never supposed to graduate high school, to a skinny guy having a lot of fun and making good money and looking forward to the future.

VTFU!

Jhay - Used to be a 300lb unmotivated kid who just wanted to play video games and eat(lol). Only a handful of people thought I would graduate high school, let alone go to college. 2 years of high school down and only my credits were only equivalent to 1 year. Changed schools, went through summer school, finished high school on time(shocking). I got accepted into college to study graphic design, although only for an associates degree because my grades weren't good enough for the bachelors program. Finished my first year of college with like a 3.6 gpa w/ deans list both semesters. Got moved into the bachelors program for the next year, although I was down credits. Made up all the credits and graduated on time with a gpa high enough for magna cum laude. Also won an award for graphic design at graduation. I graduated in May, and as far as I know i'm the only one from graduating graphic design class to have a job in the field. The job I did get in the field, I didn't even apply to, they came to me, they courted me. I now make 25/hour with up to 70 hours a week when we're really busy (political advertising agency, sept/oct will be very busy, making LOTS of money :)) at an entry level job, we also have a cook who comes in during the week and makes our meals. I'm saving for a house and should have the down payment saved within 2 years. I also lost all the weight, from 300 to 160, now i'm up to 165 trying to gain more muscle. I exercise daily now, I also went on to start training and have won multiple tournaments in sport karate, and dominated a lot of fights against guys with more experience than me.

That's fucking awesome. Good job Phone Post 3.0

Started from the bottom now I'm here! Phone Post 3.0

Well. I stopped drinking cold turkey 5 days ago. I drank every day before that for the 7. And I drank a lot. It's fucking hurting right now but hopefully it pays off in the end. Guess time will tell what changes for the better. Phone Post 3.0

otis_driftwood - Well. I stopped drinking cold turkey 5 days ago. I drank every day before that for the 7. And I drank a lot. It's fucking hurting right now but hopefully it pays off in the end. Guess time will tell what changes for the better. Phone Post 3.0
For the past 7 years. Fuck. I can't even think straight haha. Phone Post 3.0

otis_driftwood -
otis_driftwood - Well. I stopped drinking cold turkey 5 days ago. I drank every day before that for the 7. And I drank a lot. It's fucking hurting right now but hopefully it pays off in the end. Guess time will tell what changes for the better. Phone Post 3.0
For the past 7 years. Fuck. I can't even think straight haha. Phone Post 3.0
Good job man keep it up!

As for this thread, it has me sad that I've wasted so many years doing nothing Phone Post 3.0