Haven't talked to my grandfather in...

19 years. Since I was 13, I'm 32 now.

FRAT.

Apparently my grandmother (divorced from my grandfather) but they still talk occasionally (through my uncle,) has been telling him that myself and my brother want a relationship with him.

My grandfather and my uncle on my moms side pretty much cut off contact with me and my brother and outcasted us because of a falling out with my mom. We were just kids.

Now my grandfather is in his 80s with Parkinson's, heart issues and bad depression. From what I hear (4th hand) he sits alone in a small apartment in the Bronx living like its the 80s with plastic on the furniture and shit.

So I got a text an hour ago from my grandmother that he asked for my number and is planning on calling me.

I have mixed feelings on a guy that thinks its right to outcast children. He has other grandkids that he hasn't even met. But I also feel like now that I'm an adult, holding a grudge against an old man isn't much cooler. I have no idea what to even say to him.

Just venting. Phone Post 3.0

I'd let it go after nineteen years it's not worth getting into
it's only taking him this long because he's lonely now. Phone Post 3.0

He made his bed. Phone Post 3.0

Shoryuken Rw - 19 years. Since I was 13, I'm 32 now.

FRAT.

Apparently my grandmother (divorced from my grandfather) but they still talk occasionally (through my uncle,) has been telling him that myself and my brother want a relationship with him.

My grandfather and my uncle on my moms side pretty much cut off contact with me and my brother and outcasted us because of a falling out with my mom. We were just kids.

Now my grandfather is in his 80s with Parkinson's, heart issues and bad depression. From what I hear (4th hand) he sits alone in a small apartment in the Bronx living like its the 80s with plastic on the furniture and shit.

So I got a text an hour ago from my grandmother that he asked for my number and is planning on calling me.

I have mixed feelings on a guy that thinks its right to outcast children. He has other grandkids that he hasn't even met. But I also feel like now that I'm an adult, holding a grudge against an old man isn't much cooler. I have no idea what to even say to him.

Just venting. Phone Post 3.0

Talk to him.

Not having any grandparents anymore, I would suggest you call him.  The worst that happens is it’s weird, he’s crazy, and the phone call sucks.  Then you never talk again and it goes on just like it has for so many years.

On the flip side, it’s one more relative you could get to know, it could make his year, it could make yours.  You could repair the relationship between him and your mom … who knows.

Family is weird and I’ve almost cut off one of my sisters completely.  I feel bad about it all the time, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care about her or love her.  I’d try talking to him, maybe he regrets it all.

Good luck whatever you do.

qcddog03 - He made his bed. Phone Post 3.0

This.

You can talk to him, but you don't have to be nice to him.

clattymine -

Not having any grandparents anymore, I would suggest you call him.  The worst that happens is it’s weird, he’s crazy, and the phone call sucks.  Then you never talk again and it goes on just like it has for so many years.

On the flip side, it’s one more relative you could get to know, it could make his year, it could make yours.  You could repair the relationship between him and your mom … who knows.

Family is weird and I’ve almost cut off one of my sisters completely.  I feel bad about it all the time, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care about her or love her.  I’d try talking to him, maybe he regrets it all.

Good luck whatever you do.
Yeah, you're right, not much to lose I guess. Phone Post 3.0