Having a bjj brother helps you improve.

There are so many great brother duos in bjj 

Gracie 

ribiero 

miyao 

Mendes

machado 

etc. 

i made my own bjj brother since I only have  two biological sisters.   He and I get together every week to drill and spar for two hours.  We've been doing it for 8 years. 

It really helps you improve when someone knows your exact game and is able to shut it down.  It forces you to continue to develop and experiment.  It also helps to have outside of class time to drill your weaknesses. 

Yup biologically brotherlesss also so I had a friend and mentor beat the crap out of me like a real older brother for the better part of 9 years. Ahhhhh the memories. Felt I improved faster than the others I was training with at the time.

Agree 100%!  Someone who knows your game that well will really force you to try new material or refine your current "game" much farther. Hard to find someone like that but when you do it's pretty awesome. 

I've had a few different ones over the years. They always seem to move away. 

Forever alone...

I believe developing close relationship with your classmates is important! These classmates can become your training partners. They can help you and you can help them.

My brother is a dick and thinks im gay for training Jiu Jitsu. Fuck him.

I need a real BJJ brother.

I have three boys (9,9, and 7). Two of them have zero interest and the little one loves it. He flails around on the mat like a literal fish out of water, but with less technique.

I am very sad my own fraternal twin brother --who I wrestled with in High School-- has no interest in BJJ.

I have long since given up trying to interest him.

My little brother just started training about a month ago. Very pumped.

I would love to be able to drill and train what I want once or twice a week. Never had the chance and open mats are always rolling. I like to really understand and feel technique and just never get the opportunity outside of whatever we are working in class. 

We forget about all the brothers that train BJJ but are fucking awful. 

My brother and I got our black belt on the same day. I'm the aleks to his Fedor. He always kept dedicated where I would wanna go party and slack off. We were young blackbelts but if it wasn't for him I woulda quit at purple at best. I really have no idea how people stick with it without a brother to keep you on point. I'm impressed by people who do it on their own.

slick_mcfavorite - My brother and I got our black belt on the same day. I'm the aleks to his Fedor. He always kept dedicated where I would wanna go party and slack off. We were young blackbelts but if it wasn't for him I woulda quit at purple at best. I really have no idea how people stick with it without a brother to keep you on point. I'm impressed by people who do it on their own.

Must have been an awesome day, that's pretty great!

My little brother died years ago. This post offends me and you just ruined my day. Fuck.....

Just kidding! My brother did pass away, but I've been on the OG too long and my jokes are all starting to revolve making shitty SJW remarks that don't work unless in person. My bad....

I agree with your post. I had a battle buddy who was the best and worst training partner. I hate and love him at the same time. Having someone to train with like that is really the best way to improve imo. 

Good post OP.  I have a sister, but I sort of have my bjj brother.  Definitely helpful. Having feedback and brainstorming, as well as someone that knows your game that well is very beneficial. 

I've got a brother who does BJJ with me, means I have a regular training partner and for sure makes a world of difference.

My brothers don't train but I have a 16 year old son who is an state wrestler and has been doing bjj since he was 6 years old who i roll and train with daily. He's still too small for me to put major pressure on but he keeps me on my toes and when his adult strength kicks in I'm in trouble so I put the fear of God in him now

things to see people to do - My brothers don't train but I have a 16 year old son who is an state wrestler and has been doing bjj since he was 6 years old who i roll and train with daily. He's still too small for me to put major pressure on but he keeps me on my toes and when his adult strength kicks in I'm in trouble so I put the fear of God in him now

Man 16?! Time Flys bro, we getting old. I remember him and his sisters when they were like 7 years old!  

Robobear -
things to see people to do - My brothers don't train but I have a 16 year old son who is an state wrestler and has been doing bjj since he was 6 years old who i roll and train with daily. He's still too small for me to put major pressure on but he keeps me on my toes and when his adult strength kicks in I'm in trouble so I put the fear of God in him now

Man 16?! Time Flys bro, we getting old. I remember him and his sisters when they were like 7 years old!  

Lol time has been flying by I'm not on fb so I know I'm gonna trip out when I come back and see how big all the kids have gotten. Wife and I are planning the trip out this fall. Trying to nail down a time so I can request off

I'm scared on how bad I'm gonna get beat by all the kids that are now around 16 or so cause all the dads are tough and it directly transfers