HBO: bitching about signing UFC

It's gonna happen. If HBO passes or complains, someone else will step up. ESPN/ABC? Fox? NBC? Showtime? Someone will!

That is one idiotic president at HBO.

Exactly!

I like Ali. He was great. But they make him out to be more than he was. The myth has passed the man. People talk about him like he was greater than Jesus, Moses and Muhamed combined.

Boxing is riding a wave that was started in the 1940's. They have done NOTHING to build new fans.

Ali is all they got now.

And LOL at the high moral standards at HBO! Way to make your new viewers like ya there Lipschitz!

Thank you, Dana and Fertitta bros.

well, fuck all them, but otherwise, that is awesome freakin' news!

ufc fo-eva, bishes!

i would rather see naked chicks wrestle than box!

I read on Graciefighter.com that the UFC will use HBO to show the WEC.....they are under contract with Spike to show UFN and ultimate fighter.I know that everyone is aware that the UFC has bought the WEC so this makes good sense(business sense)to show there new product on HBO.

I hope this is true so I can still watch the WEC in HD!

it IS kinda funny that hbo sports arguably needs the ufc more than the ufc needs them, yeah. i guess sometimes unexpected things happen. life's a funny thing.

Dana is the Kimbo of the fight world now.He runs this shit!!!!   Now give him his bread in $40 increments.

If HBO carries the UFC, in addition to their successful reality show, and their 10-mile headstart on PPVs, it will be decades before a company can compete with them in a sustained way. The winners will be the fighters who watch the market values get raised by bidding wars. The losers will be anyone who invests in a competitive company.

They are going to kill EliteXC with the UFC brand. Too bad for EliteXC and Showtime but they just got served.

ttt

Former Pres. of HBO said this when speaking about the deal in the article I read on Sherdog...
"Boxing has a storied history. When HBO attaches itself to boxing, it attaches itself to Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali. It attaches itself to history, achievement, and glory. UFC has none of those things, and it will tarnish HBO's boxing franchise"

• And MMA isn't writing it's own history right now? Achievement and glory? MMA doesn't have these attributes?

In the future, as we all know, the greatest fighters will be from our sport.

I am not taking anything away from boxing and it's storied past, nothing can be taken from the names above. Great in their own right.

I know I am apart of history. Seeing fighters evolve, which has been bringing amazing action the past few years. The explosion of the sport (which I always knew was inevitable). FREE TV. The use of the word MAINSTREAM.

Abrahams above statement really irked me. Especially when he said UFC (MMA) has none of those things.

I have seen first hand on what it takes throughout my cousins (young) career.

I see with my eyes someone working their ass off every single day of his life, seeing so many sacrifices being made, dedicating everything he has to work towards his goal(s).

I have seen the glory, the acheivement, as I am sure we all have in one form another in the long or short time being a fan of the sport.

Bottom line is I don't appreciate seeing someone tarnishing OUR sport with a comment saying that the UFC tarnishes his.

I posted this in another thread right after I read the article...

-TBidness -

"and scandal, and fixed fights, and felons, and pre fight press conference brawls, etc etc. What a know nothing loser Seth Abraham is."

No fucking shit, what a fool.

"HBO is desparetly trying to figure out what to do post-Mike Tyson. The $200,000,000 pay day is gone from boxing. HBO used to carry everything below heavy weight just to get the Tyson pay days."

lol, you really have no idea what you are talking about do you? It's funny to read how absolutely clueless so much of this forum is yet have no hesitation to write their opinions and embarass themselves. Since 1990, Mike Tyson has fought ONE time on HBO, and that was as part of a joint venture with Showtime when he fought Lewis in 2002. Tyson was a Showtime fighter.

The $200 000 000 pay day? lol, I must have been in a coma during that period of the sport.

Seth Ibraham is an idiot. Boxing ruined it's legacy, let it die.

trtt

ttt

It's more of a testing the water move, if things go well, UFC would stay there and be some kind of threat to Boxing, whether they like it or not.

"Because the UFC is as fake as pro wrestling...proof that darwinism is a fraud. Nature wouldn't let idiots like him live."

Are you saying people like you should have been weeded out because you have no reading comprehension?