Headlock takedown

No can defend in WMMA

2 Likes

It's a legit technique dude

It took me years of practice before I mastered it in 3rd grade.

5 Likes

I was going to say effective only on pre-K playgrounds and WMMA.

People like Bo Nickal continue to use it at a high level. I think for women’s MMA, it’s an example of an area in which it’s just a different sport. For years, I didn’t coach it with my women’s wrestlers and fighters. Ultimately, I relented and accepted that it works for women, for whatever reason, in a way that it doesn’t work for men.

1 Like

I always mention this to my casual friends. How that move generally doesn’t work past like 7-8th grade in male wrestling. Funny to see. I hit a couple head locks in varsity high school wrestling over the years. Only when someone would be overly agressive with wanting an under hook and I could hook it with my arm and really lock them into the throw. I hit it in the first period against a kid that was way better than me and I used that 5 point throw to stall the rest of the match and took the win lol. Kid went on to be a starter at a good big 10 school 

wiggum - People like Bo Nickal continue to use it at a high level. I think for women's MMA, it's an example of an area in which it's just a different sport. For years, I didn't coach it with my women's wrestlers and fighters. Ultimately, I relented and accepted that it works for women, for whatever reason, in a way that it doesn't work for men.

Its not for whatever reason. The reason is that womens mma is still behind technically. 

It's a move you need to learn just so you understand how it feels and can learn to defend it. But to actively use it is just asking for trouble against the top fighters. 

1 Like
WrestlingSucks - 
wiggum - People like Bo Nickal continue to use it at a high level. I think for women's MMA, it's an example of an area in which it's just a different sport. For years, I didn't coach it with my women's wrestlers and fighters. Ultimately, I relented and accepted that it works for women, for whatever reason, in a way that it doesn't work for men.

Its not for whatever reason. The reason is that womens mma is still behind technically. 

It's a move you need to learn just so you understand how it feels and can learn to defend it. But to actively use it is just asking for trouble against the top fighters. 

Yes. That’s probably right. I still coach it because that’s still the level of the sport.

I’m of the mind that the elite women’s fighters are excellent athletes. I just don’t think that there are many elite women fighters right now. JJ, Rose, Zhang, Nunes, and Valentina are excellent and you’d be right in saying that none of them are going to be headlocked.

1 Like

Effective throw for sure. 

easier to reverse

you land without an underhook. 

It’s not recommended unless you have mastered the throw and transition 

jkd4200 -

easier to reverse

There is a sag headlock that I think is much better suited for mma and grappling. Once landing, you can typically scissor your legs and end up in side or with a front headlock if they base.

It's also less risky that the opponent posts your elbow and you end up giving up your back attempting the throw 

If only hair pulling was legal we'd get some amazing sequences... hair pull to headlock takedown and finish by schoolyard bulldog choke! 

WrestlingSucks - 
jkd4200 -

easier to reverse

There is a sag headlock that I think is much better suited for mma and grappling. Once landing, you can typically scissor your legs and end up in side or with a front headlock if they base.

It's also less risky that the opponent posts your elbow and you end up giving up your back attempting the throw 

Yeah. I should have said that I only teach the headlock as a sag headlock.

Lol I laughed and knew someone was going to say something about it when bullet did it in the first round. I can't remember the last time that worked in a men's ufc fight. 

MojoSoDope -

Lol I laughed and knew someone was going to say something about it when bullet did it in the first round. I can't remember the last time that worked in a men's ufc fight. 

It happens so regularly now it is comical. 

The defense/reverse is one of the first standing techniques in BJJ self defense yet these girls keep getting ragdolled down like I did by some kid at cricket training in 1998

I would love to see a compilation of its recent use in high level WMMA. It would be long and awesome

1 Like

I wonder if the longer hair in WMMA makes it easier. It's an extra grip in an otherwise no gi envioronment..

Vikingknee -

I always mention this to my casual friends. How that move generally doesn’t work past like 7-8th grade in male wrestling. Funny to see. I hit a couple head locks in varsity high school wrestling over the years. Only when someone would be overly agressive with wanting an under hook and I could hook it with my arm and really lock them into the throw. I hit it in the first period against a kid that was way better than me and I used that 5 point throw to stall the rest of the match and took the win lol. Kid went on to be a starter at a good big 10 school 

Lol did the same against a returning state champ and the entire gym gasped when I hit it. Anyone else I’ve ever tried and hit it on just rolled through 

GladiatorGannon -

I wonder if the longer hair in WMMA makes it easier. It's an extra grip in an otherwise no gi envioronment..

No...

wiggum -
WrestlingSucks - 
jkd4200 -

easier to reverse

Yeah. I should have said that I only teach the headlock as a sag headlock.

Not sure if it’s the one I was taught but it’s not really a throw but the hand around the opponents collar punch’s the ceiling and you kind of squat/sit in a chair. Sounds like a sag lol 

Ever see a cowboy bulldog an animal down?   That is how I was taught.

There is more to a headlock that simply wrapping your arm around someome's neck.

ThatsHowIRoll -
MojoSoDope -

It happens so regularly now it is comical. 

The defense/reverse is one of the first standing techniques in BJJ self defense yet these girls keep getting ragdolled down like I did by some kid at cricket training in 1998

I would love to see a compilation of its recent use in high level WMMA. It would be long and awesome

That's no way to behave on a Cricket pitch old boy.

Works for young teen boys too.

Seems obvious to me that it works so good cause mans traps are bigger, his neck is thicker and it’s hard to get a bite on the neck that most men can’t slip out of. Woman’s necks are more swan like and their arms are thinner so they just have a far better grip.

Still not saying it’s the best option. But obviously it’s anatomical.