Heel hooks from combat base: a new BJJ tutorial

Ignorance is a big problem with heel hooks.  While I'm rolling no gi I use leg attacks often, but I'd estimate 80% of the time guys just don't respect heel hooks because I don't crank them (This includes upper belts/advanced guys too).  When I'm using them I do the catch and wait method, if my partner doesn't respond I just switch to something else, like an achilles lock.  The upside is my straight ankle lock has gotten much much better but it still is pretty annoying.

Jordan Tabor - 
Thanks, Jordan! Which particular set up do you use the most?

I attack like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvtELF0nYkA

Classic.  Securing the knee first, right?

Michael Piekarski - 

Ignorance is a big problem with heel hooks.  While I'm rolling no gi I use leg attacks often, but I'd estimate 80% of the time guys just don't respect heel hooks because I don't crank them (This includes upper belts/advanced guys too).  When I'm using them I do the catch and wait method, if my partner doesn't respond I just switch to something else, like an achilles lock.  The upside is my straight ankle lock has gotten much much better but it still is pretty annoying.

Yeah, same here.  Unless I get the over/under "check mate" position, I rarely finish heel hooks unless folks tap right away.  It's tough to have the balance of not tapping right away, but not being an idiot.  I get it, and many of my students do as well, but it has taken years to cultivate that level of trust with heel hooks.

Catch n release

Nice stuff, I liked the over-under.

Gustavo Gasperin - 

Nice stuff, I liked the over-under.

Thanks!  It has been my bread and butter for about 12 years now.

Jordan Tabor - 
goatfury - 
Jordan Tabor - 
Thanks, Jordan! Which particular set up do you use the most?

I attack like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvtELF0nYkA

Classic.  Securing the knee first, right?

I use my own knees as the first level of control, and then if needed, use my hands on the knee before dropping back to the ankle. It's not necessary every time.

I think our styles are pretty similar.  It would be cool to train together some time to compare notes.

Jordan Tabor - Next time I'm in the area, I'll see if I can drop in.

For sure, drop in any time.

TTT