Helicopter crash

Photo of: Copper down at 88th Street and the FDR in Manhattan. Believed to be helicopter crash pilot Richard Vance.

This chopper went down in the East River

Photo credit: G.N.Miller/NYPost (Staff Photographer).

Note: The First Responders removing the first person from the water (possibly) the pilot.

The pilot of the helicopter, Richard Vance, after emerging from the frigid waters of New York City's East River on Sunday night.  (Courtesy New York Post)

That sucks man

Very sad.

Don’t know if I’d be smiling knowing all my passengers just died

TFK_Al Neri -

Trauma like that does weird things to you.

I don't know that I'd be judging a man's life on one video frame.

From the video it looked like it was going slow enough where they could have all jumped out before crashing in the water

TFK_Al Neri -

He may be looking on at them loading up an ambulance or something.  I cant draw a conclusion based on one pic,  poor bastard is gonna be guilt stricken for a long time I'd bet. 

What a terrifying way to die. Surviving a crash landing in a helicopter then drowning in 40 degree water.

They think one of the passengers bags accidentally hit the fuel shut off button 

TFK_Al Neri - 

He's grimacing and shivering with cold, Captain Autism.

Squatdog -
TFK_Al Neri - 

He's grimacing and shivering with cold, Captain Autism.

This. 40 degree water is no joke

UltimateKeyboardWarrior -

They think one of the passengers bags accidentally hit the fuel shut off button 

Fucking Brutal if true!

Fucks sake rip

Doesn't look too good for this tour company.

The pilot survived and 5 passengers die.

Having done the helo dunker at Lejeune (it's very scary), my first question is about the quick-release harness I'm assuming they were connected to. Did it malfunction? Were they not briefed on how it operates? etc

^I was making a moral point, not expressing shock.

Soup and Beer - 

From the video it looked like it was going slow enough where they could have all jumped out before crashing in the water

Seriously?

They're strapped in, doors are shut, and they're flying above a frozen river. Even if you jumped out there's a fucking helicopter with spinning blades coming down on top of you.