Helio Gracie's injuries?

Waking up this morning and feeling a few injuries that are nagging me from a full week of training...and i wonder:what injuries afflicted the Grand master? Anyone know?

heard he always had a lingering foot injury from kicking so much ass

Pedro Valente told a story about him breaking his leg in his 80's or 90's because he apparently forgot his age and jumped 6 feet off the back of a truck. Phone Post

I imagine what Helio practiced much more resembled kosen judo than the BJJ we know today, thus he probably was injured more often than if he had been practicing pure BJJ. However, spending most of his time training higher level guys likely means he got injured less than if he were training newbs. Good question. Phone Post

I know in the 80's he was in a wheel chair for a while. I think it was a back injury.

i know some guy broke the oldmans ribs at a seminar

12 -  i know some guy broke the oldmans ribs at a seminar

And lived? I'm imagining pissed off guys with Portuguese accents surrounding the guy... Phone Post

Pedro Valente showed a group of orthopedic surgeons an MRI of Helio's spine without telling them who the MRI was of. Pedro asked them what they thought the level of physical activity that the person the MRI belonged to had. All the doctors said, for sure, that whoever the MRI belonged to, was either confined to a hospital bed or a wheel chair. Pedro pointed across the room and told them: it belongs to Helio Gracie - he's standing right over there and teaches jiujitsu every day.

FatBuddha - Pedro Valente showed a group of orthopedic surgeons an MRI of Helio's spine without telling them who the MRI was of. Pedro asked them what they thought the level of physical activity that the person the MRI belonged to had. All the doctors said, for sure, that whoever the MRI belonged to, was either confined to a hospital bed or a wheel chair. Pedro pointed across the room and told them: it belongs to Helio Gracie - he's standing right over there and teaches jiujitsu every day.

See, that's interesting to me. Like my story, the recurring theme is that Helio was a BOSS. As far as I can tell, he had physical limitations like you'd expect. He just said screw them.

FatBuddha - Pedro Valente showed a group of orthopedic surgeons an MRI of Helio's spine without telling them who the MRI was of. Pedro asked them what they thought the level of physical activity that the person the MRI belonged to had. All the doctors said, for sure, that whoever the MRI belonged to, was either confined to a hospital bed or a wheel chair. Pedro pointed across the room and told them: it belongs to Helio Gracie - he's standing right over there and teaches jiujitsu every day.

Awwwww...just what i was looking for-inspiration

I heard he got his arm caught pretty good once a long time ago.

When, in 2012 your jiujitsu is so high level that your sons are STILL teaching BLACKBELTS secrets to day 1 moves like the upa, and the elbow escape, you're an a whole different level than everyone else!

Helio was a freakin genious!

The people that don't give him credit have unfortunately probably not been taught HIS jiu jitsu. It is so much more detailed than people realize. It's sad so many people think it's just judo newaza or sport bjj. They don't even have a half truth there.

Hearing how he continued to battle the limits of his physical body with the genius of his mind throughout his entire life just makes me appreciate his legacy that much more.

torquemada - 

See, that's interesting to me. Like my story, the recurring theme is that Helio was a BOSS. As far as I can tell, he had physical limitations like you'd expect. He just said screw them.

That is inspiring

There will never be another like Helio.

Chango

ortho story? If you mean the one about the orthopedic surgeons that I posted, no it's not from the Gracie Way, Pedro Valente told it to me personally. And thanks! It is motivational.