Hello from India

Awesome posts. I've traveled to Hyderabad for work (Genpact) and found the younger Indians at work were really interested when they heard I trained. They seemed to have an idea what UFC was but still thought BJJ was like TKD. Searched everywhere for a gym to train at but no dice haha. Pretty sure I saw flyers for an upcoming UFC outside a pub there though. Would be awesome if it started to pick up out there, but like you said doesn't really seem to vibe with the culture. Phone Post

Speaks 3 languages an you write in English way better then I ever could.. I'm ashamed. Welcome !! Nice to see an intelligent poster .. VU when I can Phone Post 3.0

Welcome! Phone Post

Hey danggook, good to see a fellow desi here :-) Where are you from? Are you currently in India? And thanks guys and jimmersonz glove (you I. E. that one glove is legendary :-D). Phone Post

Welcome!

Have you ever played kabadi?

Thanks for the encouraging posts guys, much appreciated :-). I blame the UG for making me miss the undercard as I was up till 3 am refreshing this thread and replying to all of your encouraging replies. Woke up in time to see the awesome ponzinibbio vs laflare fight. Can't wait to watch the Stephens KO (Heard it was great!) Thanks again guys for the awesome posts, much appreciated! Phone Post

What a nice guy.

Good for you Desi, good morning brother! Phone Post

Yes I have played kabaddi and kho-kho! India won a gold medal in every edition of the Olympics as long as that edition of Olympics had kabaddi lol. Without kabaddi we struggle to win a single silver medal (but hope for a better showing next Olympics). Cricket needs to slowly die out (which is kinda beginning to happen due to too much commercialization and match fixing scandals plaguing the modern cricket game). People don't have enough time to watch a day long affair nowadays (A One Day cricket match lasts 8 hours, A test match goes on for 5 days and even a shorter 20-20 format match lasts 4 hours) Phone Post

Desifighter - Hey danggook, good to see a fellow desi here :-) Where are you from? Are you currently in India? And thanks guys and jimmersonz glove (you I. E. that one glove is legendary :-D). Phone Post
from Punjab, in the u.s. though.

know what you mean about mma being hard to introduce to Indian people, I've gotten my father and father in law into it, they enjoy it but still on occasion make oddball comments like about how ufc fighters listen to the ref right away, but wwe fighters dont. Phone Post

djsolar36 - Awesome posts. I've traveled to Hyderabad for work (Genpact) and found the younger Indians at work were really interested when they heard I trained. They seemed to have an idea what UFC was but still thought BJJ was like TKD. Searched everywhere for a gym to train at but no dice haha. Pretty sure I saw flyers for an upcoming UFC outside a pub there though. Would be awesome if it started to pick up out there, but like you said doesn't really seem to vibe with the culture. Phone Post

Hey! Genpact office is hardly 5 miles from my home. The next time you are here we should catch up and I can treat you to some nice local cuisine (Spicy south indian food) :).

Thank you Justpeed , DanTheWolfman and everyone for your positive inputs, much appreciated.

In Phone Post

Hi Kkm? Gotta be the most well liked new member here ever.

Thanks for the insight on India's mma scene. I remember pavlic saying that going into India was a miscalculation. Phone Post

How famous is the great khali? Phone Post 3.0

Khali is famous, VERY FAMOUS. He is from Punjab (Same state as danggook) and is REALLY Popular up north. He used to be an extra in some of the bollywood films (mainly used to showcase his height and monstrous face as a distraction) till he hit BIG time and now he is very very famous. They show him hanging out with Bollywood actors (Salman Khan) and him having like a 16 egg omlette and stuff (much to the bollywood actor's amazement lol). Up north I've seen some Great Khali and John Cena T-shirts but not much of a fight culture down south sadly (We are happy fixing computers and doing accounting lol). There's been one Indian woman who participated in One FC but surprisingly there has been a guy from Pakistan (Bashir Ahmed) who has done well in One FC. VICE Recently featured him on their channel. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70WH80DWBpQ&feature=youtu.be&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D70WH80DWBpQ%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&has_verified=1

This guy has been calling out every Indian MMA Fighter lol. Credit to this guy, he is the first from Indian Subcontinent to have a win at One FC.

Holy Cow guys!!!! Thanks a bunch for the Blue Name and the VUs. Much much appreciated!!!!!

At around the 12 minute mark of that video, you can see the Akhadas/Dangals where traditional mud wrestling is done --> http://youtu.be/70WH80DWBpQ?t=11m33s 

Hey man! I'm also Indian but ex-pat, living in Australia. Really cool to hear about how UFC/MMA is viewed in my homeland and a bit about wrestling too. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for post OP! Very interesting :) Phone Post 3.0

A genuinely passionate MMA fan. VU, frendo Phone Post 3.0

Been a minute since I was there.  How are the TV ratings of the SFL?  Are the Nasic shows being aired?

Desifighter - Yes I have played kabaddi and kho-kho! India won a gold medal in every edition of the Olympics as long as that edition of Olympics had kabaddi lol. Without kabaddi we struggle to win a single silver medal (but hope for a better showing next Olympics). Cricket needs to slowly die out (which is kinda beginning to happen due to too much commercialization and match fixing scandals plaguing the modern cricket game). People don't have enough time to watch a day long affair nowadays (A One Day cricket match lasts 8 hours, A test match goes on for 5 days and even a shorter 20-20 format match lasts 4 hours) Phone Post

Thanks.
Around 20 years ago, one of our channels here in the U.K showed kababbi once a week. I's never heard of it before that and became quite a fan.

I know what you mean about cricket, a test match can run on for 5 days and still end in a draw, especially if you have English weather.

I have to say, when you see the huge packed stadium for a India / Pakistan test match it's awesome.