Help (Another computer thread)

Does anyone know why a computer suddenly starts running 2 gigs of ram when doing nothing? No malware, and no viruses. All of my processes seem normal. Also my CPU will suddenly spike to 100% for no reason.

Windows 7
AMD FX 4170 quad-core 4.2
18Gb memory

Any help is appreciated.

Ttt for more enlightened nerd than myself to help you out.

Also, have you tried placing it in a sack of rice?

That would definitely require a large sack of rice lol.

It will actually run up to 64 gigs. RAM just costs too much for me to fully deck it out right now.

For games you don't need nearly that much. 8 gigs should suffice any game atm.

How do you get 18gigs of memory? Two 8's and a 2?

opieandjimmy - Jesus fucking christ you can out put 18gigs in a comp now... Wow.

When I was a computer gamer in the mid 2000s 6 or 8 and you were the baddest mother fucker on the block.

i have 32 in mine and it a few years old, but i was doing a lot of point cloud shit with big files.

as for OP just give it the good old ctrl alt del and see what is using all the memory.

vincan469 - 
opieandjimmy - Jesus fucking christ you can out put 18gigs in a comp now... Wow.

When I was a computer gamer in the mid 2000s 6 or 8 and you were the baddest mother fucker on the block.

i have 32 in mine and it a few years old, but i was doing a lot of point cloud shit with big files.

as for OP just give it the good old ctrl alt del and see what is using all the memory.

I've done that. Everything seems normal. Chrome seems to use a lot, but it's still at 2gb idle on desktop.

u probably already ran ccleaner and virus scanners.

probably checked startup items, and restarted the pc

thats where i start

Yep, I literally have no idea what it is. I hope it isn't hardware going bad.

Paging Dave....

Just run task manager and see what program is running and using all that.

usually a 32 bit will use 1GB and 64 2GB for win7

Right click your taskbar, select Start Task Manager, select the Performance tab, click the Resource Monitor button at the bottom, and check each tab (Overview, CPU, Memory, Disk, Network) to see what's using the bulk of your resources.

iclimb513 - How do you get 18gigs of memory? Two 8's and a 2?
Came to ask this. 18 GB of RAM isn't possible, but ok. First thing I would try is making a new user account on your PC and see if the same issue happens. There really isn't anything running by default on Windows that should take up that much RAM. Another thing to try is to launch msconfig.exe and go to the startup tab. Uncheck anything that you don't need running at login. Stuff like iTunes, Skype, Citrix, TeamViewer, etc launch at startup by default when you install them and can take up RAM quick. Good luck.

malf922 - 
iclimb513 - How do you get 18gigs of memory? Two 8's and a 2?
Came to ask this. 18 GB of RAM isn't possible, but ok. First thing I would try is making a new user account on your PC and see if the same issue happens. There really isn't anything running by default on Windows that should take up that much RAM. Another thing to try is to launch msconfig.exe and go to the startup tab. Uncheck anything that you don't need running at login. Stuff like iTunes, Skype, Citrix, TeamViewer, etc launch at startup by default when you install them and can take up RAM quick. Good luck.

I have two 8's and a 2. the 2 was given to me by a friend. So I just put it in the pc.