Help for muay thai beginner

I just finished my second class tonight, and I can already say I'm HOOKED! I have so much fun doing muay thai, even though I'm not doing the best job yet.

My question is this: in sparring tonight, I would throw a leg kick or two, and throw them pretty decently, but after doing it, my opponent would fire off a few punches, at least one of which would connect right in my face! Can someone with experience please recommend how to:
1. maintain composure and/or recreate distance after throwing an attack?

2. Also, even when I was in my stance with my guard up, my opponent was able to still get a few shots in on my face. What's a good way to defend punches coming right down the pipe?

3. How can I defend against a "teet?" I'm not sure if it's universally called that, it's a front kick or push kick using the ball of the foot. I took a bunch of them right in the gut tonight and would like to avoid doing so in the future!

Anyhow, I'm having an awesome time so far even though my right shin is bruised up and down! Any help will be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance!

The push kick is called a 'teep'. You can use your arm to sweep the kick outside while moving away from the kick. Another way will be sidestepping and kicking your opponent's support leg. You can also push kick your opponent when he's about to set the push kick up.

Damn, you guys spar already on the second class?

Fester... thank you for your help... any more advice?

Bad Karma; It was a combined beginner/intermediate class so I got to jump into the sparring with a more advanced student who put the hurting on me!

Khun Kao wrote a very informative post on counter attacks, u might want to read it. :)

http://www.mma.tv/TUF/DisplayMessages.cfm?TID=65873&P=18&FID=23&c=1

For the punches straight down the pipe there are so many counters and blocks.

Couple that I like (assumes orthodox stance),

1. Parry the punches by just making a small movement with your hands letting your arms rotate at the elbow. If you time it right you can bounce of their punch gaining power on your own and really belt them one.

2. Take the jab in the open palm of your right hand and fire your own jab in through the gap.

3. Step in and block a right cross with your left arm covering your head. The action is kind of like you are brushing long hair behind your ear and leaves your head covered with your arm and your elbow pointed at the oponnent. You are now inside and in a great position to grab behind your oponnents head, clinch up and let loose with the knees!

There are loads more and I'm sure KK can describe better than me.

Good luck and have fun!

LOL @ defending against the "Teet"!!!

1. Maintaining composure is something that will only come with more experience. The key ingredient is overcoming "Gun Shyness". Face it, no one likes to get hit. But in Muay Thai, getting hit is a reality of the sport. Once you get over wanting to flinch or wince every time that punches or kicks fly at you, you'll begin to keep your composure.

Now, as far as recreating distance. After you make your attack, skip back and to the side to recreate distance. Don't skip straight back. Either skip back at an angle, or skip back once, then start side stepping. If you move straight back, you are still going to be in your opponents line of attack, but if you side step, he/she will have to adjust before attacking.

2. Without seeing your stance and how you hold your guard, I can't really comment too much. CockneyBlue is correct regarding parrying punches. Essentially, you "slap" your opponents punches aside. Only slap the punch enough to make it miss. If you move your arm too much during parrying, bad things will happen to you.

You can also "Catch" punches. Act like your boxing glove is a catchers mitt and the punch is a baseball.

3. Defending the "Teep" (Push Kick) can vary. Use the link that FesterAddams left and scroll down to my discussion on Push Kick defense and counters. That covers the basics well enough.

I'm a little surprised to hear that you're sparring on night 2, but then again, not being part of your class or witnessing whats going on, I can't really comment on it.

I try to help students get over being "gun shy" by having them do pre-arranged sparring drills and full contact drills. Where each partner has an assigned attack or assigned defense, and the contact and speed starts off about medium. As they get more comfortable, they can increase speed and power.

Khun Kao

Thank you all very much for your help. But Khun Kao, did you really have to laugh at me?! j/k

the adonis

that's great. i love rubbing my gloves in peoples eyes. it's also fun to block kicks with your elbos (try to aim for there ankle or instep) it hurts like a BITCH

perchdogg after a while you'll notice that you're not affraid of getting hit. try side steping when you see an attack coming up. don't be a punching bag, be more offensive rather then defensive. you'll be fine.

ttt

"When he tries to foot jab you, use your left glove in a downward sweeping motion and SMASH his toes. Believe me, after a few of those he won't be trying to footjab anymore. Make sure your right glove is up in case something is following up the footjab"

LOL. I agree with everything else you wrote (particularly the use of body punches) but this is a dick thing to do if you're just sparring in the gym.

If I thought for a second someone was doing this--or just cheap shotting ANYONE in my gym on purpose-- I'd take way too much pleasure in smacking them around the ring for a few rounds.