Help me, comic book nerds

Been out of the game for years and now I want back in. Can you recommend something I should be reading? Thanks in advance!

If you like superheroes, you should check out Invincible (Kirkman), which just ended a few months ago.

What were you reading before? What sort of things do you like?

Depends on what you like. The aforementioned Invincible probably has one of the best twists in comics pretty early on too. 

If you like the more established names, I think any of the DC Rebirth comics are good. Marvel has been hot garbage for awhile and is going through an entire reboot of their line, so I wouldn’t buy anything now to read until they start that. 

LiveWire -

Depends on what you like. The aforementioned Invincible probably has one of the best twists in comics pretty early on too. 

If you like the more established names, I think any of the DC Rebirth comics are good. Marvel has been hot garbage for awhile and is going through an entire reboot of their line, so I wouldn’t buy anything now to read until they start that. 

True about marvel. I've been trying to get back into marvel. It's absolutely horrible.

I was collecting X-Men and Batman in the 90s. Never got into any of the alternative stuff, so anything outside of DC/Marvel universe is a new experience for me. Anyhow, if the writing is interesting (and more on the darker side), I'll probably dig it.

orokosaki - 

I was collecting X-Men and Batman in the 90s. Never got into any of the alternative stuff, so anything outside of DC/Marvel universe is a new experience for me. Anyhow, if the writing is interesting (and more on the darker side), I'll probably dig it.

X-Men, huh?

Okay, X-Men was amazing about 7-ish years ago.  Right now, there isn't a single X-book that's a "must read".  That's the bad news.  The good news is there are signs that Marvel knows it needs to fix things and has been making steps in that direction.  So...wait and see, for now.

But, grab this trade:

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender.  

It's amazingly good.  Easily Remenders best run on anything and one of the best runs on Uncanny X-Force ever (if not THE best run).  

If you're interested in what's been happening to the X-Men since you were gone you can read these trades (in this order) for an idea:

• Avengers Disassembled
  • House of M
  • Messiah CompleX
  • Messiah War
  • Second Coming
  • Age of X
  • Schism
  • Death of Wolverine
  • Death of X

I'm skipping some events, but that's for good reason.  Like, if you read it, "you would want to punch me in the face" bad.  I'm not joking.  Anyway, those events should give you the highlights for the X-Men so if you were to jump into a current title, you wouldn't be completely lost.  Now if you were interested in what's going on in the Marvel Universe in general, that would be a different set of events.

Right Now, here are the x-books I like along with some minor spoilers:

• Old Man Logan (alternate version of Wolverine stuck in the current Marvel Universe)
  • All New Wolverine (A female clone of Wolverine assumes the mantle -- see Death of Wolverine for an idea why)

All New Wolverine isn't for everyone, but I like it.  But I wouldn't say either Old Man Logan or All New Wolverine are "must reads".  Both have been solid, good stories and I enjoy them both, but not "must reads".

I heard some of the Batman titles are pretty good so you might want to check those out.

In that case, I’m enjoying a few titles that aren’t mainstream: “Pestilence”, “Unholy Grail”, “Judas”, “Prometheus: Fire and Stone”, “Aliens: Defiance” (One of the best comics, I’ve ever read). 

I think they’re all limited runs which is what I prefer now -  Stories with beginnings, middles and a clear end instead of the constant episodic nature of most comics. 

orokosaki - 

As for Batman:

The big news is Batman is engaged to be married to Selena Kyle (Catwoman) and that's happening in a couple months.

Aside from that, lots of folks are fans of Scott Synder's run on Batman.  I think it's grossly over-rated...and I have to stop there.  DC has effectively destroyed every character I've cared about so I haven't been reading.

Best I can do, and this is a bit dark and has a bit of a mystery is Gotham Academy.  If you don't like the first 3 issues, it's not your cup of tea.

Thor: God Of Thunder Volume 1-whenever it ends. But, the God Butcher story arc is fucking AMAZING. Like, it's very, very cool. 

You got thor in viking times finding traces of murdered gods, present day thor finding more murdered gods and starting an investigation, and old man king thor fighting the forces of the God butcher in the future. Turns out the god butcher was systematically murdering gods for millions of years. All three thors team up in the future to take him out. Then old man thor fights Galactus right after. Hnnngghg. 

Doomsday Clock

The Manhattan Project

The Mice Templar

Paw, thanks for the quick reply! Sounds like you're balls deep in this stuff. Judging by your list, I've got a lot of catching up to do. Have you ever checked out the Marvel unlimited app? Would that be a good way to catch up without having to buy back copies of everything?

Sucks that Marvel is going through a slump, but I guess it's an opportunity to try something new.

Invincible is great. It also has a ton of spinoffs (and is actually a spinoff itself).

Irredeemable and it's spinoff Incorruptible are along the same lines and also great.

Another series I liked that just recently ended is Postal from Top Cow Productions, which ties into a couple of other Top Cow comics. Postal is about an off-the-grid town full of criminals who have dropped out of society. It's basically a real-world version of purgatory where the criminals are safe from the authorities but are never allowed to leave. The Tithe is about a hacker who steals from megachurches and gives the money to charity. Think Tank is about a super-genius who has basically been enslaved by DARPA since he was a teenager to develop weapons for the military. He rebels often and wacky hijinks and massive casualties ensue, but he's so valuable they can't snuff him or let him go.

orokosaki - 

Paw, thanks for the quick reply! Sounds like you're balls deep in this stuff. Judging by your list, I've got a lot of catching up to do. Have you ever checked out the Marvel unlimited app? Would that be a good way to catch up without having to buy back copies of everything?

Sucks that Marvel is going through a slump, but I guess it's an opportunity to try something new.

I haven't used the Marvel unlimited app because I'm an "old" collector and I like having a physical comic book.  But there's no doubt digital is easier and a lot cheaper.  I'm lucky that my local public library generally has collected trade editions, so I can read a ton of comics legally for free.

If you just want to know the backstory and don't really care about reading the entire comic book, wikipedia is generally sufficient for that.

As for Marvel:

I've heard a ton of really encouraging rumors...so maybe in the next few months we'll be seeing "good" news announced.

In broad strokes: Find a character that is too "small" so the character doesn't get pulled into every big event OR find a writer who's big enough that they can do whatever they want (and so they can tell the-powers-that-be at Marvel that they won't be participating in the current/upcoming event).

The reason for this is simple, events suck.  Well, recent Marvel events have sucked.  And by sucked, I mean reading the event will be painful.  Every other page will have something that will make you say aloud "no, that's not how that works!" or "that doesn't make any sense at all!".  And then you will be so mad you will want to punch someone in the face.  I'm not joking about that.  The last good event was Hickman's Secret Wars(2015) or Hickman's Infinity(2013).  (The last good X-Men event was Age of X - 2011) 

Marvel has promised no events, but because events make money, they aren't really keeping that promise.  Marvel is just having smaller events, which might be an ok compromise, we'll have to see.

Okay...I'm rambling now so I'll stop.

Seven to Eternity

Tokyo Ghost

Black Science

Anything Rick Remender

paw -
orokosaki - 

As for Batman:

The big news is Batman is engaged to be married to Selena Kyle (Catwoman) and that's happening in a couple months.

Aside from that, lots of folks are fans of Scott Synder's run on Batman.  I think it's grossly over-rated...and I have to stop there.  DC has effectively destroyed every character I've cared about so I haven't been reading.

Best I can do, and this is a bit dark and has a bit of a mystery is Gotham Academy.  If you don't like the first 3 issues, it's not your cup of tea.

I agree. I think Snyder is poop and most of the Batman stuff atm is pretty lame. They’ve gone full on “Batdad”. 

For superhero comics, Deathstroke by Christopher Priest is good. Marvel’s Darth Vader book has been great. 

Monstress by Marjorie Liu has amazing art.  Story has been pretty good as well.

I'd recommend everything by Jonothan Hickman.  

Greg Rucka has series...Black Magic, that I've heard good things about, but I've not read it myself.

When I get home I'll have to look through the independent comics I get that are darker.  Right now, I can't think of anything.

Revenge Of The Nerds GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY