Help me educate myself

So, there was a time when I read everything I could get my hands on about strength and conditioning. Unfortunately that time was from about 1986 to 1992, and what I could get my hands on was mostly bodybuilding magazines (Muscle and Fitness, Ironman, etc.).

In the last few months, I have been trying to put things together from various forums and web resources, but it is tough to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I have started to realize that both my squat and deadlift form possibly suck, but am having a hard time figuring out what it should be. I have been teaching myself kettlebell basics (with amazing results...) but see a lot of conflicting information about how to train with them. I read that Dan John is the the next best source of information to God, and that he is only a mid-level coach and a shill for a supplement company. I am blown away with the results I am getting from Pavel's RKC minimum program, but have also read that he has made a lot of questionable claims.

I realize that there is no magic bullet, but any suggestions on solid resources that I could turn to in order to bring myself up to date? Ideally, I would like books or perhaps good DVDs - something that puts together a complete framework. I just don't have the time to spend hours sifting through different sources of information like I did when I was younger.

Any suggestions?

I'm confused as well...are you looking for deadlift and squat form tutorials, or an overall training outline program? If you're looking for a training program, what is your main goal? Phone Post 3.0

Maybe I could have been clearer. I am not looking for a specific program. I am looking for resources that will up my understanding to a level where I can develop and modify training programs for myself. There is little or no chance of finding a competent personal trainer where I live, so I need to do it myself.

I thought I had a good base of knowledge, but reading articles on line by people like Dan John or Pavel, or watching Eliot Hulse's Youtube channel makes me realize that I know jack about what constitutes training and conditioning programs today. I can keep on surfing forums and trying to piece it together, but I am hoping there are some solid and consolidated resources I can go to to accelerate my learning process.

Gotcha. I hate to tell you this, because it seems as this isn't what you want to hear, but what you're doing already is the best thing for today. Forums are sometimes sources of questionable information(crazy, I know), but there's plenty of sites out there that publish articles from the best of the best in the sport today. YouTube also has lots of good videos from the best coaches around.

Guys like Mark Bell(Supertraining.tv) and Dave Tate(EliteFTS) are really good at breaking down form for the main lifts and have videos on YouTube. Kelly Starlet is the go to guy for all things related to mobility. You mentioned the deadlift and squat specifically in your first post so I'll tell you this...on YouTube search "so you think you can squat", I think it's a 5 or 6 part series but they're all on YouTube. There's also a series for the deadlift, and one for the bench press...same deal, 5 or 6 videos in each series. Phone Post 3.0

Another up for Supertraining and EliteFTS.

So fuck you and fuck your elbow.

bodybuilding.com forum is the greatest resource on the web. Some smart fuckers over there.

Completely changed the way I approach training and nutrition. Phone Post 3.0

ISawSilva'sBONEr - bodybuilding.com forum is the greatest resource on the web. Some smart fuckers over there.

Completely changed the way I approach training and nutrition. Phone Post 3.0

BEEP

Leigh - I have found that educating yourself on s&c (like everything) is no longer about resources, as we now have Google. It's more about mindset and knowing how to process information.

I subscribe to KISS. My logic is that we have known for over a century how to train for combat sports. Wrestlers and boxers 50 years ago were incredibly strong and fit. Put in some roadwork, lift with low reps and practise your sport a lot.

Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, all these guys did roadwork and boxing training. They didn't use kettlebells or clubs or snorkels or hit tyres with sledge hammers. They hit a bag and pads and sparred.

There are no secrets, just snake oil salesmen trying to confuse people and sell them a stupid gimmick. Phone Post 3.0

OK, so those dudes had insane engines - But you're telling me that they wouldn't be even FITTER with modern equipment and methods?

Idiot.

woah, that escalated quickly.

Anyway, I get what fuzzislippers and Leigh are saying... no quick fixes. That said, some resources are better than others. Any thoughts on the following books as possible starting points?

Power to the People (Pavel)
Mass Made Simple (Dan John)
Starting Strength (Mark Rippintoe)
Books/vids by Ross Enamait

Dogfight - woah, that escalated quickly.

Anyway, I get what fuzzislippers and Leigh are saying... no quick fixes. That said, some resources are better than others. Any thoughts on the following books as possible starting points?

Power to the People (Pavel)
Mass Made Simple (Dan John)
Starting Strength (Mark Rippintoe)
Books/vids by Ross Enamait
The only one on the list I can vouch for is Starting Strength. I've never read the others. It's a good program, especially for someone in your situation. Phone Post 3.0

Leigh - I have found that educating yourself on s&c (like everything) is no longer about resources, as we now have Google. It's more about mindset and knowing how to process information.

I subscribe to KISS. My logic is that we have known for over a century how to train for combat sports. Wrestlers and boxers 50 years ago were incredibly strong and fit. Put in some roadwork, lift with low reps and practise your sport a lot.

Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, all these guys did roadwork and boxing training. They didn't use kettlebells or clubs or snorkels or hit tyres with sledge hammers. They hit a bag and pads and sparred.

There are no secrets, just snake oil salesmen trying to confuse people and sell them a stupid gimmick. Phone Post 3.0
This is pretty much correct. I'm glad Leigh said it. Don't go looking for a Holy Grail or all-knowing guro. They don't exist. Don't make things more complicated than they need to be. Behind closed doors, I think just about every popular coach du jour will tell you the same thing. Phone Post 3.0

I have Power to the People (Pavel) and Infinite Intensity (Enamait).

Both are solid, but I would say that Enamait's book is better for all-around conditioning and some strength. He has a very well-rounded approach & a variety of workouts.

If you are looking for a tightly-regimented system (i.e., a year-long program with exact workouts based on phases), The New Rules of Lifting by Shuler & Cosgrove is quite good. It has workouts for fat loss, strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning.

Tilla asked whether Ali, Frazier, Hagler and Leonard would be fitter if they followed a 'modern' training plan. Assuming that means doping and a heart rate monitor, then yes, they would be in even better shape than before.

419 - Tilla asked whether Ali, Frazier, Hagler and Leonard would be fitter if they followed a 'modern' training plan. Assuming that means doping and a heart rate monitor, then yes, they would be in even better shape than before.
Athletes have been doping and using PED's since long before Ali's time. Phone Post 3.0

Leigh - 
419 - Tilla asked whether Ali, Frazier, Hagler and Leonard would be fitter if they followed a 'modern' training plan. Assuming that means doping and a heart rate monitor, then yes, they would be in even better shape than before.
Where are these better conditioned athletes? We should be seeing every fighter today putting out twice the number of punches of these guy, right? Does Floyd Mayweather have a vastly higher output than Sugar Ray Leonard? Phone Post 3.0

Floyd Mayweather is a defensive genius. He doesn't rely on out put as much as say Pac-Man would.

Look at Usain Bolt - Fastest man in history, lifts weights etc. He SHATTERS records from back in the day. Someone like him would be at the cutting edge of new methods.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I suggest finding coaches whose approach fits what you are looking for and start following all of their stuff. You will never "catch up" per se, as there is so much new research published on a weekly basis. Here is a list of guys who I follow pretty closely.

Eric Cressey
Joe Defranco
Cal Dietz - Triphasic Training is the most under-rated training program out there for building athleticism.
Joel Jameison
Joe Kenn

Leigh - 
Where are these better conditioned athletes? We should be seeing every fighter today putting out twice the number of punches of these guy, right? Does Floyd Mayweather have a vastly higher output than Sugar Ray Leonard? Phone Post 3.0

If you are just talking boxing I think Pac Man is a great example of how strength and speed training can improve a fighter. He has gradually moved up weight classes and steadliy improved his speed and power while maintaining his conditioning.

I would think a higher punch output would be more dependent on style and gameplan than conditioning. Think GSP vs Nick Diaz. Is it more important to throw a lot of punches or fewer punches that are harder, faster and more accurate?

"Athletes have been doping and using PED's since long before Ali's time."

Modern dope is better.

"Where are these better conditioned athletes?"

At the Olympics, or playing a sport where they're making money and not getting punched in the face.