Help me educate myself

"I'm fully convinced that the methods available to boxers and wrestlers last century are valid today."

Which is why I focused on doping and HR monitors.

At any level, boxers are getting punched in the face which is why fewer and fewer kids are boxing.

Fewer kids are playing tackle football too. Anyway, we're way off topic. I mostly agree with you regarding training.

I think the main thing about Leigh's argument (and the flaw, too man) is the same as what applies for powerlifting and weight training.

For the vast majority of trainees, the basic old-school methods will still provide the foundation for success. Roadwork, bagwork, basic lifting will help any boxer get better. And, to a certain extent, the more the better.

Same with lifting. Picking up heavy shit and putting it down is not rocket science. I've been doing this for 24 years, and it's not rocket science. The basics for making any normal dude into a relatively swole motherfucker isn't all that hard. Lift heavy, eat right (a lot), and rest (a lot). Add more iron to the bar, and repeat.

Where the old school methods go slightly off the rails is when we get into the advanced stage. Hey, I think 5x5 is a good lifting protocol, but I don't think a basic 5x5 is going to get someone a WSM or a world record powerlift. Just as basic roadwork, bagwork and mitt work is not going to get you the WBA World Heavyweight Title (well, scratch that, since Heavyweights seem to suck so much currently).

The problem lies in that most research and advancements in training are being done on that cutting edge. When this info gets disseminated, people (led by moneysucking "personal trainers" that don't know their ass from a hole in the wall about actual training) think they have to incorporate the methods used on the cutting edge, when in reality they are so far from the cutting edge that the edge isn't even in sight.

Listen, if I want to be a better swimmer, I need to go out and swim. Stroke analysis and other shit aside, I do not need to do Michael Phelp's practice in order to get better. I do not need to do Usain Bolt's sprint program, or Scot Mendelsohn's bench press workout, or Brain Shaw's strongman workout to get better at any of these. I'm not close enough to the edge yet.

Chocolate Shatner - I think the main thing about Leigh's argument (and the flaw, too man) is the same as what applies for powerlifting and weight training.

For the vast majority of trainees, the basic old-school methods will still provide the foundation for success. Roadwork, bagwork, basic lifting will help any boxer get better. And, to a certain extent, the more the better.

Same with lifting. Picking up heavy shit and putting it down is not rocket science. I've been doing this for 24 years, and it's not rocket science. The basics for making any normal dude into a relatively swole motherfucker isn't all that hard. Lift heavy, eat right (a lot), and rest (a lot). Add more iron to the bar, and repeat.

Where the old school methods go slightly off the rails is when we get into the advanced stage. Hey, I think 5x5 is a good lifting protocol, but I don't think a basic 5x5 is going to get someone a WSM or a world record powerlift. Just as basic roadwork, bagwork and mitt work is not going to get you the WBA World Heavyweight Title (well, scratch that, since Heavyweights seem to suck so much currently).

The problem lies in that most research and advancements in training are being done on that cutting edge. When this info gets disseminated, people (led by moneysucking "personal trainers" that don't know their ass from a hole in the wall about actual training) think they have to incorporate the methods used on the cutting edge, when in reality they are so far from the cutting edge that the edge isn't even in sight.

Listen, if I want to be a better swimmer, I need to go out and swim. Stroke analysis and other shit aside, I do not need to do Michael Phelp's practice in order to get better. I do not need to do Usain Bolt's sprint program, or Scot Mendelsohn's bench press workout, or Brain Shaw's strongman workout to get better at any of these. I'm not close enough to the edge yet.
Very well said, sir. Phone Post 3.0