Help Me Get Excited About No-Gi

Also, the leg lock game is pretty deep and interesting to figure out.

They make both chocolate and vanilla flavors for a reason.

True. Another thing (which doesn’t help with the excitement part) is that I can’t imagine getting to black belt (which I’m not) without a decent no gi game.

Dammit. I was just settling into the idea that I’ll change my schedule so that I can do only gi classes but you hit a note with your post. I should probably do both.

This is a good answer.

It sounds pretentious, but there is a strong argument for striving to be a complete martial artist. That’s not necessarily being a MMA fighter, but it involves a basic to intermediate understanding of a wide variety of both sport and street techniques.

This will certainly involve training both gi, and no gi.

1 Like

It’ll make your offensive grappling better. If you’ve been exclusive gi, there’s a decent chance you’re overly reliant on grips for maintaining control.

More sweat, less friction and a squirmy opponent tightens your game right up.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but no-gi feels “more honest” compared to gi. Too much esoteric sport stuff with the gi.

And I get it, it’s totally a preference thing. I like my jiu-jitsu to be more functional for MMA or self-defense, even though I have no plans for either.

1 Like

Lots more movement in no-gi. You’ll get in better shape. Also the wrestling aspect of it makes it fresh, almost like training in a different sport. Leg locking is an interesting art all by itself but in no-gi I concentrate on getting the back and strangling.

1 Like

-It’s better for actual fighting.
-It’s more closely aligned with the original intent of BJJ.
-You can make a no gi game work for gi far more easily than you can make a gi game work for no gi.
-People act like it’s all physical and less technical than gi, but it’s actually more technical. Try controlling someone or finishing sweeps and takedowns without the benefit of artificial grips. If your technique isn’t sharp, you’re not going to be successful.
-It’s more fun than gi because gi players have a tendency to focus overwhelmingly on gi grips and “competition style” rolling which includes an inordinate amount of stalling and general silliness.