Help me help my roommate..

Alright OG, I've tried to help my roommate and good friend as much as I can but I'm strapped at this point. Long story short..basically he's had horrible luck lately, it started with his dad recently passing from cancer, then financial problems from funeral costs ,THEN he brought home bed bugs from the hotel he stayed at which cost us 1300 dollars to fix. Things started looking up then two days ago somehow he lost his car keys and now this is where I need help..

Its $205 for a new key plus towing fees which are around 130 bucks, and there's no money left to use/help.
He drives a 2002 Mitsubishi eclipse(haha I know..) With and car key that has a chip in it. Is there ANY other solution? Is it cheaper to just change locks, is there any other way to start his car temporarily and save up money to buy a key, anything ?! Suggestions of any kind is appreciated. It just sucks seeing him looking like he wants to give up. Phone Post 3.0

Can you give him rides until he has the money for the key? Does he have relatives he can ask for a few hundred bucks? Phone Post 3.0

Ace5002 - Can you give him rides until he has the money for the key? Does he have relatives he can ask for a few hundred bucks? Phone Post 3.0
Unfortunately his dad was really the only family he had. Any others live across the country. I'm trying the rides thing but I work 6am-5pm shifts and he does 9am-7pm shifts in completely different areas. Its just not working out. Phone Post 3.0

Also, if it matters, his car is a 5spees if that changes anything Phone Post 3.0

Ride the bus?

PeteyWheatstraw - Ride the bus?
Lol competent public transportation in suburban Georgia...I wish.. Phone Post 3.0

He could take you to work, and you could hang out till he gets off? Is a bicycle out of the question? Phone Post 3.0

Ace5002 - He could take you to work, and you could hang out till he gets off? Is a bicycle out of the question? Phone Post 3.0
40 min drive for him to work. That other set up is more or less what I've been doing and will continue if only that's the only option but I have to be honest, its starting to hurt me financially as well and I can hold it for now but getting nervous for the future Phone Post 3.0

This dude has a car with a SINGLE key, no backup key, even though his job is 40 minutes away and he counts on it. Has no emergency savings money. Has no credit card to charge a repair. Has nobody that will spot him the money.

Even if you figure this out, do you plan on taking care of this guy for the rest of his life?