Help me OG I need some Legal advice

So I will try to keep this short and sweet.First off sorry about my spelling I am French. So around a year ago my parents sold there house and move to town. They sold the house for less that what it was worth. When they first bough the house around 8 years ago they had paid 65k for it when someone had bough it for 50k 3 months before hand so they got screwd over 15k. Anyways not long ago we get a call from the realtor that sold are house saying the owners of the house were suing us for 5000$ because the basement flooded. They are claiming we knew the house flooded before and had water damage and we never told them. That not the case the house never flooded when we lived there or had any water damage. They sent us a letter via a sherif claiming they redid the basement and that when the basement flooded costing them 8500$ in damages. The contractor that did the job is her husband and her lawyer is her cousin.We had the worst winter in over 20 years and my parents don't make a lot of money and are old and can't afford a lawyer I'm just wondering what to do next. If anyone can help me out thanks. Phone Post 3.0

I am no lawyer but first off - are they being sued?
like a real lawsuit

or just some letter from their lawyer

So your parents are being sued by the people who bought the home because their basement flooded after they had it finished? If your in the states I wouldn't even worry about it. They are going to have to prove that you knew about it and didn't tell them and even if they did the initial home inspection should have your butts covered. Sounds like the issue is could be more that the husband(contractor)doesn't know how to waterproof a basement. On top of that the cousin(lawyer) has an ethical conflict with being related to the person trying to sue your parents and technically he can't represent them because of it. Phone Post 3.0

HaoleBoy - I am no lawyer but first off - are they being sued?
like a real lawsuit

Well there lawyer sent us a Letter saying pretty much pay us 5000$ or we will see you in court. We have 10 days until we get the document to give them the money. Phone Post 3.0

baj54 - So your parents are being sued by the people who bought the home because their basement flooded after they had it finished? If your in the states I wouldn't even worry about it. They are going to have to prove that you knew about it and didn't tell them and even if they did the initial home inspection should have your butts covered. Sounds like the issue is could be more that the husband(contractor)doesn't know how to waterproof a basement. On top of that the cousin(lawyer) has an ethical conflict with being related to the person trying to sue your parents and technically he can't represent them because of it. Phone Post 3.0
So you can't represent someone related to you? That's news to me as an attorney. Am I reading that right? Phone Post 3.0

baj54 - So your parents are being sued by the people who bought the home because their basement flooded after they had it finished? If your in the states I wouldn't even worry about it. They are going to have to prove that you knew about it and didn't tell them and even if they did the initial home inspection should have your butts covered. Sounds like the issue is could be more that the husband(contractor)doesn't know how to waterproof a basement. On top of that the cousin(lawyer) has an ethical conflict with being related to the person trying to sue your parents and technically he can't represent them because of it. Phone Post 3.0
I am in Canada but that war I was thinking conflict of interest. My parents make 42k a year combine they are church going folks and don't screw people over I just don't want them to have to pay 5k for some bullshit. Phone Post 3.0

The cousin definitely can represent them. I'm not sure where you are getting this conflict of interest idea from. That said it sounds like they are trying to shake you down for money thinking a letter from a lawyer will scare you Phone Post

Paquet90 - 
like a real lawsuit

Well there lawyer sent us a Letter saying pretty much pay us 5000$ or we will see you in court. We have 10 days until we get the document to give them the money. Phone Post 3.0

I cant advise you on what to do but I think its just their lawyer floating a letter out there to see if your parents will just send them the money

its expensive to sue someone over something like this

I wouldnt do anything myself
even if they do sue you - they have to prove that they knew something (and that costs more than 5 grand if they are going to make a real case)

Don't fucking pay Phone Post 3.0

You've come to the right place, friend.

You have a goat? You're going to need a goat, and a chicken's foot, and something in which to catch the goat's blood.

Oh, and you're going to need a fire that's been burning for 5 days, so you'll probably want to get started on that right now.

Let me know when you've had the fire going for 4 days.

OP check your PM

HaoleBoy -
Paquet90 - 
like a real lawsuit

I cant advise you on what to do but I think its just their lawyer floating a letter out there to see if your parents will just send them the money

its expensive to sue someone over something like this

I wouldnt do anything myself
even if they do sue you - they have to prove that they knew something (and that costs more than 5 grand if they are going to make a real case)

My parents want to pay a lawyer to draft them a letter I wanted them to just do nothing and wait the 10 days I think it a waste of money. Phone Post 3.0

I could post the letter but it is in French and I doubt anyone can read it. Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like small claims court stuff. http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/scc/

Good luck. File your defense and hope truth prevails. Not a lawyer. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah we also can't get a Legal Aid they don't do that sort of stuff. I will def go to court with my parents. Phone Post 3.0

HaoleBoy - OP check your PM
Done Phone Post 3.0

HaMMerHouseFAN -
So you can't represent someone related to you? That's news to me as an attorney. Am I reading that right? Phone Post 3.0
Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest dealing with an ethics issue? Phone Post 3.0

So should my parents waste a couple 100 $ getting a letter write up by a lawyer or should they call them themself ? I still think calling them is a bad idea. Phone Post 3.0

It's just a demand letter. Ignore it & wait to see if they file in small claims court. You don't need a lawyer to represent yourself there. They have to prove you knew the basement flooded, so start gathering evidence it hasn't.

And to whoever said the cousin can't represent the other party, that's incorrect. Phone Post 3.0

ieswideopen - It's just a demand letter. Ignore it & wait to see if they file in small claims court. You don't need a lawyer to represent yourself there. They have to prove you knew the basement flooded, so start gathering evidence it hasn't.

And to whoever said the cousin can't represent the other party, that's incorrect. Phone Post 3.0
Alright thanks Phone Post 3.0