Help me pick a dog

I was thinking of getting a dog recently. I grew up with a border collie and a bechon frise. I was wonder what would be some recommendations and questions should I be asking when picking a new dog. I am all for adopting a rescue if the breed is a good fit too.

Background? What purpose is the dog? Your living situation? Etc.... Phone Post 3.0

Grew up with a border collie and brichon frise. I prefer smaller dogs. I was hoping for a new friend, someone to go on runs with and help me with the ladies. I live in an average sized house with a couple roommates, within driving distance to the family farm which has lots of space if a dog wants some running room for a day.

i work in a shelter, go rescue bro Phone Post 3.0

How about a beagle Phone Post 3.0

boxers :)

petfinder.com
thats the shelter website-- just put in your zip code.

i would also say look at the pix, and then visit the shelter--
your dog will let you know! nothing beats the visit, where the actual interaction with the dogs will vastly help you make your choice.

Or a standard poodle Phone Post 3.0

JMO_LOL - i work in a shelter, go rescue bro Phone Post 3.0

VU for doing good work. I respect people like you the job you guys do.

Drunkie - boxers :)
This Phone Post 3.0

JMO_LOL - i work in a shelter, go rescue bro Phone Post 3.0
And this Phone Post 3.0

If you don't mind the hair/shedding look into a mini australian shepherd, you get a workhorse of a dog but in a smaller package. Will have plenty of energy, one of the smartest dog breeds, easy to train, super loving and loyal. Mine is awesome, I probably will never have a more loyal pet, and the most docile dog I have ever met in my life.

Festus - How about a beagle Phone Post 3.0

Beagles are amazing, but might not work if you want to go for a jog with them.  I tried running with my beagle, but he just wants to stop every 20 feet to smell something interesting.  Besides that, he is just about the best dog ever.  He is a bit of a mix, so we got lucky and he doesnt howl at all.

Drunkie - boxers :)
Correct answer m Phone Post 3.0

im a pit dude myself (inb4 vicious) but what about a jack russsl if you wanna go running or let it run (boundless energy) my parents have a jack mix Phone Post 3.0

How long will the dog be left alone. How much time can you devote to walking.

or just go to your local shelter(s) and find one that catches your heart, ask questions like age, shots, housebroken, (they should all have them if they're up for adoption) how the dog does with other animals (if you have others like cats or dogs) and if they know why the dog is at the shelter like the owner just couldn't take care of them or in our case we have a lot of abandoned and cruelty animals. Of course when you ask to see it, have them take the dog outside so its out of that crazy environment and ask if they'd let you walk him/her so you'd get a feel of the pull and see how she walks, if she's anxious, etc. Some places will let you, some won't. Phone Post 3.0

All have shots that is ^ Phone Post 3.0

JMO_LOL - i work in a shelter, go rescue bro Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0

Jhay - 

If you don't mind the hair/shedding look into a mini australian shepherd, you get a workhorse of a dog but in a smaller package. Will have plenty of energy, one of the smartest dog breeds, easy to train, super loving and loyal. Mine is awesome, I probably will never have a more loyal pet, and the most docile dog I have ever met in my life.

My brother and his wife have an aussie and it is bit much. I watch it whenever they go out of town and she is just a handful. Every time I go over it is jumping on me and trying to steal my shoes, has destroyed several of my sister inlaws shoes. Loyal dog and tons of energy for walks/runs but the shedding is just ridiculous at times.