Help with Accounts Receivable Job Interview

Any advice for a guy who has never done this type of work before? What questions should I be ready to answer? Help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqIyA9sGZHI

Accounts Receivable is probably some aspect of a collection job. I would stress your ability to be persistent and have good communication. For any company, collecting accounts receivable is important but can end relationships if done incorrectly. The right person for that job is one that can produce a result without ending the relationships with those who owe the company money. Good luck.

I've done this before.

Accounts receivable = sales ledger.

In my position at least this involved preparing and sending out customer invoices, setting up accounts for new customers, sending out statements etc.

And then it involves the credit control function. You have to ensure that all customers have paid on time and the ones who aren't you have to chase up and send letters to.

To be contrasted with accounts payable ie. the purchase ledger.

The interview went well. Appreciate the help guys. And from what I understand, Joe Ray is correct.

You want to be an accountant?

Joe Ray - You want to be an accountant?

Joe I'm considering it. Problem is that it's been awhile since I've been in school. I've forgotten most of the stuff I learned in my accounting classes the first time around. It would take some catching up, but I'm starting to think it would be worth it.

You can study for the chartered accountancy exams while you work.

That's what I am doing. Working full time and studying full time is hard work but it'll be worth it in the end.

I started off doing an accounts assistant position that involved accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll etc, and through gaining the work experience in those sort of positions and completing the chartered accountancy exams was able to move up to a management accounting position.