help with lead kicking

LOL

Astro-Physics is not one of my strong points...

thanks Bad Brad, Khun Kao and ercan gürgöze
that is all very helpful. is there anything you cant help me out with......

could i get some help on technique for the lead roundhouse please
how much does the rear foot rotate and what sort of angle should the kick take. also anything eles that differs from the rear shot would be very helpful
thanks

Bad Brad is correct...

The thing to remember is that a lead-legged kick will never equal a rear-legged kicks power. So just keep that limitation in mind when you are training.

There are different ways to set up the lead-legged kick. You can just launch your kick from your place, step into it, or skip into it.

If you just kick from your position, you merely rotate in place. To add more power to the kick, snap your upper body back away from the kick as you launch it. When I use this kick, I like to kick at an upwards angle. I use this kick for its speed. It is an EXCELLENT distraction to set up follow up strikes. I like to aim for the inside of my opponents calf (if my opponent is standing in an Orthodox stance). I also will use this kick to counterstrike a punch from my opponents right side. If done correctly, your opponent will begin to think twice before throwing that punch. After a few kicks to the ribs, your opponents guard will tend to drop a little to protect the ribs better. Use this opportunity to kick his neck or jaw.

Stepping into the kick is identical to kicking from the rear, minus the power. This should not be used as the leading technique in a combination. You should integrate it into a combination to disguise it.

Finally, skipping into the kick is a really good way to compensate for the loss of power you would normally experience by kicking from the lead side. You will not make up for all the loss of power, but you will dramatically increase the power of your lead side kick. When you skip, your lead foot and rear foot trade places. It is important that your hip and shoulder do not trade positions, however. They should remain in the same position. By getting the kicking leg to the rear (not hip) you can fire away with a kick that has pretty decent power. When skipping, do your best to make the "shuffle step" subtle. If you skip too obviously, your opponent can read your intent and block or counter the attack.

Good Luck!

Khun Kao

dear kizmit,

first of all please note that it would be better, if you have described your discipline i.e. american boxing ,kick boxing or muay thai...ý believe that the roundhouses applied in those discipline should be different in terms of demands of those disciplines...

-muay thai; roundhouses are liked mostly to be used with hip and leg power together without losing the maneveur control for another combo technic (may be a punch or knee)...hence, generally it is better to have a front stance to face the opponent and think about full force roundhouses ...front stance is also allowing punching combinations better...sometimes , some thai fighter show semi- side stance ,but it is mostly for show purpose, generally they prefer and fight with front stance ...in europe ,the fighters prefer front stance and use leg+hip power roundhouse up to the limit where they can follow to some punching combos easily..as far as ý am concerned ,some of the thai fighters like using maximum force leg+hip roundhouses which is normaly not so easy to be followed by good punch combos...you can improve your roundhouses on "long bags" in front of mirror in order to see whether they are strict or not...(but, a long duration would not be preferred since you may become a mirror stylist...)some jumping squats with medium weight may be also helpful for your hip+leg condition...last but very important point:"how much to bend at kicking?.."
ý cannot give a specific answer since ý do not know your anatomy and kinesiological ability...the level of this point depends on you...you or your trainer would define it by experimenting...(in general sence,if you bend too much there is less space left for combos and there is also the danger that your roundhouse might be catched by the opponent...

-kick boxing allowing leg kicks; there are some variations about the stance...but, the leading fighters are using leg+hip powered roundhouses and front stance ,which is allowing much space for combos...again, ý recommend some jumping squats and "long bag training" for hip+leg condition... in this discipline you can bend much more than mt,since mostly "catching of legs" are not allowed...but ,do not forget that in this case there will be less space for punch combos..

-american boxing ,full contact ,allowing no leg kicks;since you are not kicked at legs, you can choose a side stance ,as well...but, ý think it is better that you choose a semi side kick stance which is allowing much freedom for punch combos ...you can also use your leg power much than your hips by lifting your leg and use them like cuffs, which means you need much training in "leg power+balance+flexibility"...however, this stance is not a must..you can also prefer front stance ...ý recommend in this discipline not to kick bags too much..instead of it ,"pad training" and "sparring with the partner" may be preferred...(in this discipline you are not using your shins and fighting with foot protectors..that means you don't need too much waste time for shin conditioning for resistance...)you can train on "leg raise apparatus" (for quadriceps)and some roundhouse kicking with "weight jacket"(especialy for balance condition) and use some roundhouse kicking in the water (pool)by using your leg power (by restricting your hip muscels...) you can bend much than in mt and kb ,but do not forget the point of "punch combos"

ttt great stuff.....Archive it

-Nick-

ttt