help with upgrade

I just got WoW and I am getting some big drops in FPS, can hang around 12, and even bounce down to 2-3 if in populated towns..

Currently I am running an Athalon 1.33, an Asus a7m266 w/ only 256MB DDR, and an old nVidia GeForce 3 64MB (not Ti).

Currently I am thinking that my processor isn't my problem and that it's my GPU and memory. GPU wise I’m above the minimum (a GeForce 2 32MB) but below the suggested (GeForce FX5700 64MB). I am also meet the minimum Ram (256MB).

I am looking at a MSI GeForce FX5700 256MB 8x AGP for $56.95. I am on a TIGHT budget and thought this looked decent. (Would I have any problems with the 8x AGP as my Motherboard is an older 4xAGP?)

I am also looking to get 256MB DRR ram. The prices I've seen so far are kinda scary and about as much as the video card. I might go with 128, but I feel like it would be a waste and it's not the much cheaper anyway.

Any and all help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I'm not that big of a gamer, what's WoW? Also, what else do you have running and what specs are you running it at? Also, how tight of a budget are you on, let us know a figure you can spend for a graphics card and RAM and we can help you find the best deal

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but I doubt that system will be able to play any new games at all. I think you should just wait a while and save up a little more. If you are really strapped, I would go for something like an Athlon XP 2500+, Abit NF7-S mobo, 1 GB Kingston PC3200 & Radeon 9600 XT. If you know about overclocking, you can get a good aftermarket cooler and OC the hell out of the processor with that combibation...just don't go over 400 MHz FSB because the memory won't be able to handle it.

WoW = Worlds of Warcraft.

atm I'm not running WoW to be beautiful, I'm still in college and can't afford a big upgrade to take advantage of the nice graphics. I'm just looking to get a higher FPS to where the only lag I get is due to internet latency, don't care if the visuals are tuned all the way down cause I'd put it pretty close to there anyway. I have a 2.2Ghz laptop with a pretty nice GPU(ATI), and memory that I will be playing on once I move back to my house after Christmas vacation, I just wanted this machine to run decently while I'm here for the next 3 weeks. I'll worry about building another high quality gaming computer later.

Anyway, I’ve pretty much figured out pulling the system apart today that I need at least 256MB more of ram. I went in my basement to see what I had and all I found was 8, 16, and 32 MB sticks of EDO ram, lol, It’s like a friggen museum down there. Can you use different size sticks of ram on the same motherboard or do they have to stay the same size like back in the day.

Money wise? I’d like to spend less than $50, but that’s not going to happen. Just try to throw some cheap solutions for a better video card and more memory that are under $100…if there are any that are worth it.

You have 256mb and I'd bet your system could use some ram. If you're on xp you're not going to have much ram left over just from booting your computer up. I'd say 512 should be minimum and 1 gig would be optimal. Also, go into the game settings and lower some of the options.

look into the Radeon 9800 Pro EZ on newegg, they have a good deal. 512k ram will make a big difference, 1 gig will have a slight upgrade in performance.

I'm in a hurry but I'll hopefully remember to come back and write out my thoughts more. But I wanted to suggest, check with computer geek friends, my friends always have old graphics cards and RAM laying around. Even if it's only like a Geforce 4 and 256MB of RAM, it's still better then what you got and the total cost to you is nothing.

Also, you might wanna check ebay, not to buy stuff from but for prices. The RAM you have in your basement might get you a few extra bucks if you're sure you'll never use it again. There's a good number of people who want/need old RAM but it's not really made any more so the prices on them were surprisingly high the last time I checked

you can have the best graphics card on the planet and games will run slow if you have 256mb. You need at least 512 and preferably 1 gig. Your graphics card is good enough because it's dx8 and you'll be able to play most of the games out today(lowered resolution and graphics options).