Henrique Rezende leaving MG academy

joshjitsu - 
CompanyBlue - I like Paul a lot more. I have to chuckle a little when I read you think Hendrique is worlds better than Marcelo at teaching. For those who don't have a membership, Hendrique only teaches the basic fundamentals moves. Marcelo shows the advanced.

I feel that Henrique and Paul both put a lot more needed detail in their instruction. I love to watch Marcelo roll but prefer their instructions.

Agree with Josh

shermbe - Henrique showed a concept about a month ago that has changed my game immensely. He added to it each week and it just clicked every time. I'm extremely bummed I can't get anymore from him but thankful I got what I did overall in the past 2 years. He's an amazing instructor, competitor, and person. I wish him the best in whatever he does next.

Link Phone Post

Please Phone Post

Sad day for the academy if its true. He's a gifted instructor, comes across wise beyond his years.

joshjitsu - 
CompanyBlue - I like Paul a lot more. I have to chuckle a little when I read you think Hendrique is worlds better than Marcelo at teaching. For those who don't have a membership, Hendrique only teaches the basic fundamentals moves. Marcelo shows the advanced.

I feel that Henrique and Paul both put a lot more needed detail in their instruction. I love to watch Marcelo roll but prefer their instructions.

I agree, they are both fantastic instructors, but they teach a majority of the basic fundamentals classes, which I believe you need a greater amount of detail. If there's a technique I'm not familiar with, I'll watch Henrique or Paul, if I'm confident enough with a technique, I'll watch Marcelo.

Really, it's just great to have the these different options available.

My MGinAction Tutorial: http://tinyurl.com/d78pavw

HOW TO FILLET A FISH: http://www.youtube.com/user/joelovesfishin?feature=mhsn

nogidavid -
joshjitsu - 

i'm not a member of mginaction or anything, but have seem a LOT of marcelo's instructional stuff and think his instruction style is top notch. can't imagine how these guys could be better, but gonna have to check them out. are there any free clips circulating on youtube or elsewhere??

Yea free week promo code "joshjitsu311" Phone Post

joelovesfishin -
joshjitsu - 

I agree, they are both fantastic instructors, but they teach a majority of the basic fundamentals classes, which I believe you need a greater amount of detail. If there's a technique I'm not familiar with, I'll watch Henrique or Paul, if I'm confident enough with a technique, I'll watch Marcelo.

Really, it's just great to have the these different options available.

My MGinAction Tutorial: http://tinyurl.com/d78pavw

HOW TO FILLET A FISH: http://www.youtube.com/user/joelovesfishin?feature=mhsn

I disagree, they are in the fundamentals section but they still teach some advanced stuff. Phone Post

For David:

Henrique teaching counters when somebody tries to fold your legs in butterfly guard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtS-AjDv-E

Paul teaching Marcelo's bread and butter half guard pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lSSp9eeyys

They were JUST uploaded, so YouTube takes a while to playback on mobile devices I believe (if you run into that issue). You can always switch to desktop mode on YouTube to get around that though.

up

Wow. I had never seen Paul Schreiner teach before, but that was the best explanation of the mechanics of the over/under half guard pass that I've ever seen.

He is also the uke for Master Jacare and the General for every technique on allianceInstructionals.com As a phase 2 certified Alliance instructor I watch these vids over and over and I really feel like I know him although we've never met. I was totally pumped when he won the worlds this year and once again wish him and everyone at MG the very best!!

Paul's teachings are money, Henrique is right there also

Ttt Phone Post

Ttt Phone Post

joelovesfishin - 
shermbe - Henrique showed a concept about a month ago that has changed my game immensely. He added to it each week and it just clicked every time. I'm extremely bummed I can't get anymore from him but thankful I got what I did overall in the past 2 years. He's an amazing instructor, competitor, and person. I wish him the best in whatever he does next.

Would you mind sharing which concepts?

it sounds simple but it has really improved my passing. Keeping the pressure; going from your feet to your knees, back and forth, jumping to the other side, controlling their hips, etc., to keep the pressure on.

you never stop until you are passed. never give them a break to catch their breath, continually attack.

it folds into marcelo's idea of making your opponent constantly defend against sweeps and subs until they make a mistake.

I remember that class Ben. That was the 7am class back on 57th right that was a good lesson. Yeah Henrique is a cool guy and great teacher. Love his passing

shermbe - 
joelovesfishin - 
shermbe - Henrique showed a concept about a month ago that has changed my game immensely. He added to it each week and it just clicked every time. I'm extremely bummed I can't get anymore from him but thankful I got what I did overall in the past 2 years. He's an amazing instructor, competitor, and person. I wish him the best in whatever he does next.

Would you mind sharing which concepts?

it sounds simple but it has really improved my passing. Keeping the pressure; going from your feet to your knees, back and forth, jumping to the other side, controlling their hips, etc., to keep the pressure on.

you never stop until you are passed. never give them a break to catch their breath, continually attack.

it folds into marcelo's idea of making your opponent constantly defend against sweeps and subs until they make a mistake.

That is awesome stuff.

That's also why I think it is "unfair" in a sense to say Henrique is a "better" teacher than Marcelo.

When Marcelo met him,he was a teenager,and Marcelo was already a black belt (or close to it). Marcelo and his wife spent a ton of time with Henrique- on and off the mats- teaching him, supporting him, etc.

As a result, so much of what Henrique teaches is coming directly from Marcelo's influece, and his (MG's) direct teaching to him.

Henrique has told me numerous times that he trusts Marcelo's game 100%. And, this is the game he teaches.

Marcelo is the innovator and creator, and Henrique is an incredibly talented and awesome teacher (and competitor).

^^^ Not trying to say he doesn't teach Marcelo's techniques...only that he explains them better and when/why to use them at times. Marcelo gives great details also - I'm not trying to say he just brushes over things, but Henrique and Paul seem to point out more of the "why" and not just the "what" and "how". I also think Marcelo is a very good teacher.

Like others have stated, I tend to watch Marcelo for answers to problems and setups for techniques, and then Paul or Henrique for the core principles and mechanics behind them.

^

It's totally cool if people like other instructors' teaching over Marcelo.

I respect all opinions.

See- I love MG to death, but I'm not (too) brainwashed haha.

Sad to hear, but hopefully it's for a good reason (opening his own school, living closer to family, etc.). Henrique's instruction is great. Here is one of my favorite videos from the fundamentals section:

http://www.mginaction.com/VideoDetails.aspx?VideoId=14210

Not sure how to embed. The techniques he shows here are part of almost any beginner curriculum, but the little details make this one of the few videos I have bookmarked on the site. He will be missed.