Henry Armstrong aka Homicide Hank

Whenever the media talks about old boxers is there some sort of unwritten rule that Bert Sugar needs to be interviewed? I was sick of him and his stupid unlit cigar that he always makes sure gets camera time many years ago.

Lol! Well, as funny as he looks with the whole cigar and fedora thing, Sugar is a member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame. He has served as editor for such magazines as The Ring, Boxing Illustrated and Fight Game I believe. He's kind of like boxing's unofficial historian/guru.

Thanks man!

TTT for Altair

From one of the greatest ever,to a drunk, to minister, Boxing has some of the most interesting people of any sport!

Sweet Science over Sweet Xience

I met Petty Sarron who Armstrong KO'd for his first title. It was my friends grandfather.

Tis true, over 140 professional fights and Armstrong was the only person who KO'd him. Story kinda is like this: He wasn't really out, he was fat and out of shape and Armstrong was really putting a beating on him. His corner told him to stay down so he didn't take anymore punishment. He agreed.

Homicide Hank is the best name in Sports history. I got him ranked #2 all time, truly amazing what he accomplished.

'He's kind of like boxing's unofficial historian/guru.'

No doubt he's qualified and knowledgable and sort of likeable, but there are old-timers dying off every year that don't get to tell their boxing stories because whenever the media talks about classic boxing they drag out the same guy, Bert Sugar, to tell the same old stories.

Bert was probably 8 or 9 when Armstrong fought last. I'd rather hear from some of the geezers who actually saw Armstrong fight.

ttt

wow, thats some cool inside info, bflex.

TTT

Agreed w/MaxResist. Armstrong is a perennial top 5 pick when people talk about the greatest pound for pound fighters ever. To win 3 championships in 3 different weight classes and attempt to win a 4th (which everyone thought he WON) all within the course of ONE YEAR is just amazing. To put it in perspective, there were only four weight classes back then and one man almost owned half of the belts.

To put it in perspective, there were only four weight classes back then and one man almost owned half of the belts.

Exactly.

Weird to say but I almost think he is one of the most under rated Boxers of all time. Most will have him in their top 5 P4P, but in just general sports knowledge its crazy how many people have never heard of him.

Didn't he fight heavyweight a few times?

^ I dont think so. The heaviest he ever fought was around 140-145 tops.

ttt for old school boxing!!!

As always, Seamus is correct!

ttt

Henry Armstrong vs. Lou Ambers

for later