Herb Dean-Mendes/Gomi-not consistent

Someone pointed this out to me, and honestly I am fine with the mendes stoppage as well as the Lauzon stoppage. I think Herb should've stopped Gomi over letting Mendes continue, but I know that being these two early stoppage/late stoppage by the same referee in 3 weeks will give fuel to someone's fire.

The gomi stoppage was brutal and makes me question that man's judgement.

We have yet to see the perfect Official because it's impossible to be perfect at Officiating. Even the best make mistakes.

Mendes stoppage while not terrible imo could definitely have been let go longer. Chad was on his knees, Conor lands two punches to Chads hand insta stoppage. Chad was fine and would have answered the round 3 bell.

Gomi was nearly dead. Phone Post 3.0

Oh and im well aware that Chad was not gonna win that fight before i get blasted by Mc15ers. Phone Post 3.0

Potatoes. Phone Post 3.0

beans

refs tend to let the headliner fights go on longer

ranier wolfcastle - 

I am wondering if the "early stoppage" controversay in Conor/Mendes fight influenced Herb Dean to perhaps let Gomi fight longer....

D241 - 
ranier wolfcastle - 

I am wondering if the "early stoppage" controversay in Conor/Mendes fight influenced Herb Dean to perhaps let Gomi fight longer....

I'm sure it did.

These guys do stand ups if the crowd has been booing for more than a few seconds.

StocktonStickerSlap - There were 3 seconds left in the round for anyone trying to say the Mendes stoppage was correct. I wouldn't disagree with stopping it in between rounds based on Chad's body language, but in a fight of that magnitude you have to give Chad a chance. Phone Post 3.0

Does that logic apply to all last second finishes?

Should the ref have ignored GSP's tap to Hughes b/c there was just seconds left?

What about Thiago Silva vs Machida? That fight ended later than the mendes one, should Silva been given the opportunity to answer the bell for rd 2?

What about Rory vs Condit? Should Rory have continued?

There obviously is a grey area, but what is clear, is that no where in the referee's job description is there a disclaimer that reads, "A referee's job is to protect the fighter at all times....*except if there's a couple seconds left in teh round"

StocktonStickerSlap - There were 3 seconds left in the round for anyone trying to say the Mendes stoppage was correct. I wouldn't disagree with stopping it in between rounds based on Chad's body language, but in a fight of that magnitude you have to give Chad a chance. Phone Post 3.0

The ref should not be concerned with how much time is left in a round, and he definitely shouldn't be looking at the clock. His first concern is the safety of the fighters.