Here is a neat scale (guitar)

G major. It works backwards too!

1. --------------------0--------------

2. ----------0------------------------

3. ---0--------------------11-12------

4. -------------10-12-----------------

5. -------12--------------------------

6. -----------------------------------

Anybody got any neat scales worked out with lots of open strings?

neat scale, i haven't seen it. i also have absolutely no scale to contribute.

geez, I never learned to read tab (funny problem to have, no? LOL)

Does this mean, to play ascending, one starts with the A on the 12th fret of the 5th string, then plays sequentially the C and D on the 10th and 12th of the fourth, and so on?

Seems like it must mean that, now that I look... but the two numbers on one line mean sequential frets to be played, yes?

Yeah, tab is a bit of a pain to read. You just read it left to right, so the first note is the open G, A on the 12th fret, open B, C on 10th fret, D on 12th fret, open E, etc..

I like it, sort of dreamy sounding. (and yes, I copped it from one of Lenny's harmonics scales)

Thanks, glad I asked... because I was reading it wrong (and wondered how a G major scale started on A and ended on E!)

Haha.

Here's a cool way to play the Am scale (or C major same notes). I forget the technique name, but it uses the open string and sounds a lot like when the sustain pedal is pressed on the paino (use hammer ons and pulloffs to get a more fluid sound):Going down: -5-----0----------------------------
---8p6-------0----------------------
---------7p5-----0------------------
---------------7-------0------------
-------------------8p7-------0------
-------------------------8p7--------
Going up: -----------------------0-----5------
-----------------0-------6h8--------
-------------0-----5h7--------------
-------0-------7--------------------
-0-------7h8------------------------
---7h8------------------------------

Thats great! Do you have any more?

Here is a harp technique. Bar the 5th fret with your left index finger. Create an artificial or tapped harmonic with your right index finger on the 17 fret (picking the note with your right thumb) then use your ring finger of your right hand to play the pulled off notes above it. Here is the C major scale descending:-------7p5--------------------------
-----------------6p5----------------
-5(17)---------------------5----------
-----------5(17)-----------------------
---------------------5(17)----------
----------------------------------

I like those (I'm finally home with a guitar), especially the first one. Good chicken picking material. Where did you dig that up?

I find those harmonics scales really difficult, but I realize its just a matter of practice.
If your interested I can scan a few pages from a Lenny Breau book I have dealing with harmonic scales.

Contrary to what many think I'm not only a shredder. I've played in jazz big bands, fusion and metal bands. I try to pick up anything I can from the library (books, CD's, magazines, videos) over the past 20 years. It's a great source for old lessons in Guitar Player magazine and some great theory books.

I'll read a music book on anything to learn from it: jazz, classical, shredding, metal, country, acoustic, ragtime...

Thats really cool Jman, you sound like a really well rounded musician. Can you give me the link to your site again? I can't remember where it was posted before.

Not that you said yes to these exactly, but here are some excerpts. Just in case, : means play the harmonic 12 frets above the fretted note.

Not that I can play this stuff very well, but I thought it might be of interest to you. There is probably 6 more pages of scales in this book (among other impossible oddities), if you like.

Now give me more chicken pickin scales!

Cool ideas, pretty much the same concepts.Here is an even cooler (and easier) way of playing the first example of a G major scale with open stings and harmonics (let all of the notes ring as long as possible):-------0---------------------------
-----7----------0------------------
<12>----------5--------0-----------
---------<12>----------------------
------------------<12>-------------
-----------------------------------
and going up-----------------0------------------
--------0----------7----------------
-0--------5----------<12>-----------
------------<12>--------------------
---<12>-----------------------------
------------------------------------
It doesn't even sound like a guitar anymore, crazy.jimwilliams.musicpage.com

Man, I don't find that easier at all! I think my harmonics finger spends too much time up my nose and not enough on the guitar.

You don't use any right hand harmonics only the natural 12th fret harmonics.

That is a little easier. Neat scale.