Herod the Great

Was he a descendant of ESAU? If so, why was he chosen to be King of the Jews/Tetrarch?

Herod had political ties to marc antony and cleopatra who promised him rulership over most of palestine. When that fell thru, he wento claudius I think and was pledged allegiance to the new emperor so there you have it, Rome decided who the king of the jews were. Theres alot of info on the whole thing in josephus. Been awhile since I read up on it.

btw, although herod undertook a massive building project that gave the jews the second temple, he was widely despised. Ill try to give a few more interesting tidbits as I remember them.

zealot66 - 

When that fell thru, he wento claudius I think and was pledged allegiance to the new emperor so there you have it, Rome decided who the king of the jews were.

Claudius was born in 10 BC, long after Herod was named king by the Romans.

I tried Wikipedia, but I know that isn't always the best place to study. It all started with the Maccabees. I am a "Baptist" Christian, and use that particular Canon, that doesn't have the Maccabees. Interesting as far as history of the time our LORD came into our lives.

Thanks for the help.

octavius i think after the battle of actium. Man I cant keep the eperors straight except vespasian whom I ve read alot about.

wow

Is Esau in his blood line? Ever consider the whole Isaac/Esau feud going into the families?

IBI is my senior in ancient history. He has a PHD to my lowly BA. lol

I tell you, there is a good book by Michael Grant on Herod the great. you could probably get it for a steal on amazon. Alot of historians dont think highly of grant but what he does is give you the basic rundown of things, never quite specializing on any certain point.

I learned a great deal about the jews and the roman empire doing my senior thesis on the Roman occupation of Palestine from his book, Jews in the roman empire.

also, try wikipedia, amazingly, Ive found extremely astute info and organization on many religious subjects there. But always cross reference it.

zealot66 - 

IBI is my senior in ancient history. He has a PHD to my lowly BA. 

Not yet. At the moment the highest qualification I possess is still my MPhil. I'll be taking my PhD thesis in on Wednesday though, so hopefully that will change in the near future. I was ideally hoping to have the degree last year, but the external examiner has a tendency to go incommunicado for months on end, leading to delays.

also, try wikipedia, amazingly, Ive found extremely astute info and organization on many religious subjects there. But always cross reference it. (Stupid HTML. Can you manually put something in a quote box via the HTML editor?)

Yeah, it's a great resource. As you say, you need to check the sources. But it's a really useful first stop.