Herschel Walker wants one last fight in UFC

Once they let Fitch (who I don't even care for) go, all pretense of the UFC as a true sport vanished. I say embrace the spectacle and give Hershel Walker, one of the greatest athletes ever, a fight. Phone Post

If the UFC had a feeder league, I'd be down with this.

As it is, I know that Herschel is actually probably better than the vast majority indy Heavyweights, and that freakin' Cain Velasquez has used him as a sparring partner, but the UFC doesn't need a freakshow like this right now and that's the only way this could possibly be seen. Even if it managed to get some positive media attention as well, it's just totally not worth it. The UFC is in a good position and there's no need to give ammunition to its critics in the sporting press.

If he wants to take a fight in Dream or something (I know he wouldn't have much name value but American football is actually kind of popular in Japan, so maybe they could use his NFL Hall of Famer credentials as a selling angle), that might be a reasonable solution. The UFC and Dream aren't exactly enemies, so maybe they could arrange something if he's owed fights on his Strikeforce contract. Herschel would still get to fight in front of a huge audience and the UFC could still use him as an ambassador for the sport, a role he does very nicely.

Harmon Whistler - I'd watch it..

I remember he went full hulk mode in his last fight; just got pissed, screamed, slammed his opponent, and then finished with a vicious TKO.

I think that was his last fight, my memory might be off... Either way, the guy can fight and is very entertaining.

Add in whatever crossover fans he can bring in.. seems like a no brainer to give him a shot in the UFC against a journeyman.

agreed

fryingarmbar - 

Once they let Fitch (who I don't even care for) go, all pretense of the UFC as a true sport vanished. I say embrace the spectacle and give Hershel Walker, one of the greatest athletes ever, a fight. Phone Post

As much as I disagree with the decision the UFC made to release Fitch, this is dumb. The UFC is balances credibility and entertainment because it's a business. I think they went too far in releasing Fitch (and Vladdy, Sass, Santiago and Useless), but letting go Jon Fitch did not discredit the UFC as promoters of a very real sport.

I honestly think he wouldn't do well against the current heavyweight roster. I'd love for him to be successful because he's an inspiration to us all at 51, but I just can't think of one fighter he can beat at this point. :( Phone Post

Chromium -
fryingarmbar -  Once they let Fitch (who I don't even care for) go, all pretense of the UFC as a true sport vanished. I say embrace the spectacle and give Hershel Walker, one of the greatest athletes ever, a fight. Phone Post

As much as I disagree with the decision the UFC made to release Fitch, this is dumb. The UFC is balances credibility and entertainment because it's a business. I think they went too far in releasing Fitch (and Vladdy, Sass, Santiago and Useless), but letting go Jon Fitch did not discredit the UFC as promoters of a very real sport.

Let me clarify. It is a real sport in that the contests and risks are very real. What I meant was that the argument against Walker in the UFC because he hasn't earned it is impossible to reconcile with the firing of Fitch, who clearly has earned a place in the UFC. Phone Post

Lobo8 - HE would generate alot of interest in the ufc and maybe bring in some nfl guys that have never given the sport a chance. If they promote this right it would sell really well.

Exactly.  And, hell, they put James Toney on a PPV for freakshow's sake, why not Walker?

Walker vs Kimbo Slice, lets make it happen dfw. Phone Post

Christian Morecraft. Eh? Eh?

I was surprised by the fight I saw him in, I guess the second one. He moved well as I expected he would or could still. He looked strong and athletic and his movement didn't scream amature to me, he looked good in there. Call Severn for one last fight!!! DO IT!!!

Give him Tim Sylvia, Timmy don't do so good against the old guys

Tim sylvia would be a good match. Both guys want it real bad. Phone Post

UFC should sign Bernard Ackah to fight him.

Do it. A prelim fight would be great.

Walker vs lavar would be pretty cool Phone Post

They paid Toney 500K for this ......

Why not give Herschel a low level guy on the FB prelims? 

Shango Unchained - 

Walker vs lavar would be pretty cool Phone Post

Not sure why you think this would happen.They trained together at AKA.

Bring Brock back for one last time ag H.Walker.

GayGuardMooseSaucy -

They paid Toney 500K for this ......

Why not give Herschel a low level guy on the FB prelims? 

This may be the most compelling argument in favor. Phone Post

Feed him to Mitrione! Phone Post