Hey BJJ nerds, how do I finish from here?

This is my video I'm posting, but I genuinely want to know what I could do next from here in bjj. I've tried fishing for a collar or setting up a triangle but I haven't figured out anything for it.

I'm not above some kind of acrobatic cartwheel shit in this case since I'm asking specifically for sport bjj. I know how to use this in self defense already.

This is done in BJJ, not sure why you would think BJJ people would say it “can’t be done”?

I have seen it done using the gi skirt and the knot of the belt, from x-sides, N/S, basically any Kimura setup.

In answer to your question, the most common choke is a collar choke with your free hand inserted palm down into the far collar, then dropping your elbow to the mat.

jehiah - This is done in BJJ, not sure why you would think BJJ people would say it "can't be done"?

I have seen it done using the gi skirt and the knot of the belt, from x-sides, N/S, basically any Kimura setup.

In answer to your question, the most common choke is a collar choke with your free hand inserted palm down into the far collar, then dropping your elbow to the mat.

Thanks. I use a lot of hyperbole if you’re not familiar. If anything they will probably say the scrubby, forced setup is no good.

But as for the collar grab you suggested, that’s actually what I’ve been looking for is far side collar. I just haven’t had any luck with that. I will keep trying though.

Search YouTube for “Draculino Magic Grip” and you should see plenty of options for traditional BJJ finishes from that grip.

RGoodfellow - Search YouTube for "Draculino Magic Grip" and you should see plenty of options for traditional BJJ finishes from that grip.

Dude thanks I have been looking for videos on this but I didn't know what it was called or if it was called anything.

There are no finishes using that grip. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

shen -

There are no finishes using that grip. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

The master has spoken. You are dismissed, nerds.

I use this, or that kimura grip to take the back. 

shen I sent you a pm

triangle, papercutter, armbar, knee on neck choke, bicep slice

none of those are possible, as shen said

Icy Mike -

This is my video I'm posting, but I genuinely want to know what I could do next from here in bjj. I've tried fishing for a collar or setting up a triangle but I haven't figured out anything for it.

I'm not above some kind of acrobatic cartwheel shit in this case since I'm asking specifically for sport bjj. I know how to use this in self defense already.

RKM??? Those are my initials!

I know you probably aren't wanting to go to the ground completely, but the leg scissors is applicable from there.....or just knee on face works too lol

Icy Mike - 
jehiah - This is done in BJJ, not sure why you would think BJJ people would say it "can't be done"?

Thanks. I use a lot of hyperbole if you’re not familiar. If anything they will probably say the scrubby, forced setup is no good.

But as for the collar grab you suggested, that’s actually what I’ve been looking for is far side collar. I just haven’t had any luck with that. I will keep trying though.

A couple tips that may help with getting the insertion on the collar:

Pressure on the gut/hip area tends to get people to lift their head slightly and/or not pay proper attention to their neck. This can be done a variety of ways, obviously, but the principle is the same.

Slack and deception matter. This is another example of the principle “smooth is fast”. I often see people stabbing their hands around at collars, or a taking away the very slack they need to setup a collar choke. Once this is done, the opponent is aware of what you are doing.

This may sound like excessive analysis, but really it’s similar to using striking the head to open the body, and striking the body to open the head. It is hard to defend both at the same time, but the timing has to be deceptive, natural, and smooth.

So, pressure his body and/or that shoulder, knowing that you want the far collar insertion…IOW, I wouldn’t combine that particular choke with the knee on neck as his attention is already up there on his neck, and the slack will almost certainly be gone.

I know that’s not a lot of specifics, but I think those principles will work well for you.

robbie380 -

I know you probably aren't wanting to go to the ground completely, but the leg scissors is applicable from there.....or just knee on face works too lol

You're right, I typically don't like that style of submission typically, as my primary focus is self defense and I don't want to lay down, but I do use this submission a lot from that same setup in bjj rolling. I always feel like kind of a dick though because you're squeezing the front of the neck so it just seems like a dick move.

jehiah -
Icy Mike - 

Pressure on the gut/hip area tends to get people to lift their head slightly and/or not pay proper attention to their neck. This can be done a variety of ways, obviously, but the principle is the same.

Slack and deception matter. This is another example of the principle “smooth is fast”. I often see people stabbing their hands around at collars, or a taking away the very slack they need to setup a collar choke. Once this is done, the opponent is aware of what you are doing.

This may sound like excessive analysis, but really it’s similar to using striking the head to open the body, and striking the body to open the head. It is hard to defend both at the same time, but the timing has to be deceptive, natural, and smooth.

So, pressure his body and/or that shoulder, knowing that you want the far collar insertion…IOW, I wouldn’t combine that particular choke with the knee on neck as his attention is already up there on his neck, and the slack will almost certainly be gone.

I know that’s not a lot of specifics, but I think those principles will work well for you.

Thanks… maybe grab lower on the collar in a non threatening position like I’m just trying to control him, then slide up into position? Is that a thing?

Icy Mike - 
robbie380 -

You're right, I typically don't like that style of submission typically, as my primary focus is self defense and I don't want to lay down, but I do use this submission a lot from that same setup in bjj rolling. I always feel like kind of a dick though because you're squeezing the front of the neck so it just seems like a dick move.

yeh man, i will never do a guillotine either for the same reason. real dick move

robbie380 -
Icy Mike -

RKM??? Those are my initials!

That's  why we chose it!

nogidavid -
Icy Mike - 
robbie380 -

yeh man, i will never do a guillotine either for the same reason. real dick move

I don't use a guillotine to the front of the throat so for me, it's totally different. That scissor is just straight crushing their trachea. There's no way to restrict someone's air without damage to the trachea. In rolling people may tap before this happens due to the pain, but they may not. In my experience they don't feel as "caught" in that head scissor, so they start fighting and if I keep squeezing I feel kind of like a dick. I don't care to have the guy's throat hurting for days (or worse) just to get a tap.

With a guillotine you can easily restrict blood flow plus lock it in deeper, and the guy knows he is caught.

Maybe you use guillotine to the front of the throat but I don't.

Icy Mike - 
jehiah -
Icy Mike - 

Thanks… maybe grab lower on the collar in a non threatening position like I’m just trying to control him, then slide up into position? Is that a thing?

Sure, or opposite collar, then move around the head, or fake the kimura attempt, or punch him in the gut, etc.

With the principles in mind, I am sure you will figure out several setups that work well for you