HEY CANADIANS!

what are some words yous guys use that are different than what we say in the states. Yesterday I learned that you freaks call a garbage disposal a garburator. Actually has a nice ring to it. Think I'm gonna steal it. 

What else yous got? 

First thing that came to mind that I noticed when I lived down south is, we don't use the terms freshman or sophomore etc. Its grade 9, grade 11.

But I guess maybe more towards what you're asking might be we say liscense plate, you say tags. Tags makes more sense.

That's all I've got right meow

I have to go the WASH ROOM. 

Wash Room

Slydawg -

I have to go the WASH ROOM. 

Wash Room

Yea, that one also

papa pump - 

First thing that came to mind that I noticed when I lived down south is, we don't use the terms freshman or sophomore etc. Its grade 9, grade 11.

But I guess maybe more towards what you're asking might be we say liscense plate, you say tags. Tags makes more sense.

I live in Florida and I hear 'license plate' more often than 'tag'.  I think they are interchangeable. 

1 Like

dhughes -
papa pump - 

I live in Florida and I hear 'license plate' more often than 'tag'.  I think they are interchangeable. 

Maybe it was a Virginia thing

We are both pink on the inside.

We say Pop, you say Soda

Op is a faggot gets thrown around a lot 

A 375 mL bottle of hard liquor (especially if shaped to fit in a pocket) is called a Mickey.  As in ‘I got a six pack of beer and a Mickey of a rye, and I’m ready to give ‘er’.

They call cheetos cheezies for some reason! 

NorthSouthDinner4Two -

We say Pop, you say Soda

this is a huge battle within the states. 

in western new york, we say pop. 

We call the trunk of a car the "boot" and an elevator a lift. We also call cigarettes "fags"

Mutant -

They call cheetos cheezies for some reason! 

Those are two different things. 

1 Like

jbc -

A 375 mL bottle of hard liquor (especially if shaped to fit in a pocket) is called a Mickey.  As in ‘I got a six pack of beer and a Mickey of a rye, and I’m ready to give ‘er’.

This is great. don't think we have a word for it. as a kid i think we actually called them by their number. Like we'd say get me a 375 mL of ice 101. or a 200 mL...

doesn't really roll off the tongue. 

thewellhungarian -

We call the trunk of a car the "boot" and an elevator a lift. We also call cigarettes "fags"

oh. thought that was all british stuff. 

2 Likes

We say "You all" 

You say "Y'all"

thewellhungarian -

We literally do none of those

4 Likes

papa pump -

i remember as a kid we would often refer to kids as being 9th graders , 10th graders, etc. you don't really hear that anymore. makes sense to differentiate from college kids. 

ufc98newb -
jbc -

This is great. don't think we have a word for it. as a kid i think we actually called them by their number. Like we'd say get me a 375 mL of ice 101. or a 200 mL...

doesn't really roll off the tongue. 

Also 

750ml is called a two six

1L is called a forty pounder

1 Like