Hey fashionistas, need a suit, charcoal or black?

So I'm all set on my cargo shorts for the summer.  However, I did just buy a new suit, light grey, slim fit and I've decided I want to update my other suits since they're older and have that looser fit.

So i wanted to get an all purpose suit and I'm stuck on charcoal or pure black. I really only wear suits like 2-3 times a year so I dont need/want both.  Is there even a real difference for specific occaisions?

Navy or charcoal

UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

Navy or charcoal

Yup!

DaveFu - 
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

Navy or charcoal

Yup!

Yes.

Z NEDCMK1 -

If you have a pair of testicles, and will go a little bolder brighter blue....

i just got a suit this color, it might be my new favorite (I have bunch of suits because of my work)

Is navy acceptable for funerals and shit?

I've never been a big fan of navy but I guess I need to expand my horizons.

I went all bow ties about 5 years ago and that's been a big success!  I even found a local guy that makes custom non-adjustable cotton ones, they're pretty slick!

charcoal

All purpose suit = charcoal.

You can wear it for anything, weddings, funerals, court dates, etc

And don't forget to buy them 2 sizes smaller too as that's the trend fren

Z NEDCMK1 -

Navy is the shit, and looks sharp if fitted right.

Charcoal you can't go wrong with.

Black, just my personal preference, but too formal, like a tux. You may also get mistaken for being part of the staff.

If you already have light grey (nice choice) consider Navy.

black can be good but you have to pair it with the right color shirt or it does look too formal/tux like. I am wearing a black suit with a black paisley tie and a pink shirt today, its a good look. 

Charcoal all day long.

If you already had a charcoal and navy suit, then you could get black.

Z NEDCMK1 -

Navy is the shit, and looks sharp if fitted right.

Charcoal you can't go wrong with.

Black, just my personal preference, but too formal, like a tux. You may also get mistaken for being part of the staff.

If you already have light grey (nice choice) consider Navy.

This

clattymine -

So I'm all set on my cargo shorts for the summer.  However, I did just buy a new suit, light grey, slim fit and I've decided I want to update my other suits since they're older and have that looser fit.

So i wanted to get an all purpose suit and I'm stuck on charcoal or pure black. I really only wear suits like 2-3 times a year so I dont need/want both.  Is there even a real difference for specific occaisions?

You already have light grey, charcoal is just another shade of the same color. 

You should go with Navy, much more versitile

Charcoal. Avoid patterned fabric. And for the love of God don't get a slim fit suit. I'm not saying get an old man baggy suit, but slim fits look ridiculous. Just get a well-fitted one. Tailored or trim fit. Is usually a good compromise between old school clown suits and stupid slim fits.

clattymine - 

Is navy acceptable for funerals and shit?

I've never been a big fan of navy but I guess I need to expand my horizons.

I went all bow ties about 5 years ago and that's been a big success!  I even found a local guy that makes custom non-adjustable cotton ones, they're pretty slick!

A navy blue suit is acceptable for basically everything.  Navy has always been my go to suit for weddings, funerals, baptisms, job interviews.  Navy suit, white or light blue shirt, and a tie with yellow in it.

I own a lot of suits and some very expensive ones and this one is my favorite. It is labeled slim fit but it is more of a tailored fit. Fits like it was made for me and looks expensive. It is a good, everyday knock around suit, or for someone who doesn't want to break the bank on a suit they'll wear twice a year. I get compliments on it all the time. I did eventually get the jacket taken in a tiny bit to help with the roll in the shoulder/upper back, and had the pants let out. I'm in it for ~250.

Kenneth Cole New York Men's Two-Button Slim-Fit Suit, Navy Tic, 42 Regular
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVXQ6YE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_BuL5ybTN3GX4Y

The Tommy Hilfiger suits on amazon are great too.

No black bro. Except BBC.

^thats me. I don't rock the mcgregor tight suits. Those are ridiculous. 

Those look fine to me Ned. Every designer has a different definition of slim, trim, etc. Brooks brothers slim fits I find to be perfect. But express slim fits (I'd likely never buy an express suit but for example) I find to be way to slim. I typically buy "trim" or "tailored" then have it tailored to a perfect fit.

Black is like the 5th or 6th suit you buy. I wear my tux more than I wear my black suit.