"high profile" privates

It is often brought up that a white belt, or even blue for that matter, has no business taking a private lesson from a big name black belt.

Having sound basics and fundamentals is equally discussed and far too often people will "relearn" basic positioning and moves.

So this got me thinking...wouldn't it be worth it for someone who knows nothing/very little to learn the basics from the best and most effective grapplers? I almost think it's even more crucial for new guys to get exposed to the best and most knowledgable black belts so they start off on the right track with a good foundation.

Any thoughts?

Any decent instructor can give a brand new White Belt all the proper detail & information they can possibly handle at their stage of learning.

The "special stuff" that the high profile instructor has, will likely be inconsequential to the student learning the basics well.

What really matters is how good of a TEACHER they are.

For example, people always think: "If I study with Rickson, I'll be LIKE Rickson". Well, tournaments prove how wrong that thinking is.

For example, I don't hear too many people on here talk about Ricardo "Franjinha" Miller, but he has been turning out some off the best students in BJJ-intensive Southern California for a while.

If I see a match between one of the "famous" BJJ teachers here and one of Franjinha students, I would always pick Franjinha's student to win, if I wasn't familiar with either player. Franjinha himself is really good, yet more importantly, he has a track record of producing really good students.

Yet most people would still prefer to shell out the big bucks to train with the "famous" jiu jitsu guy instead. That is the power of celebrity.

shen - I disagree...

Any decent instructor can give a brand new White Belt all the proper detail & information they can possibly handle at their stage of learning.

The "special stuff" that the High Profile instructor has, will likely be inconsequential to the student.

What about "better" ways of doing simple things

there's a million posts here about how Marcelo does things a certain way, so if he has so much success with them, why not learn it like that the first time?

For instance, he has a specific way of escaping side control. Why would it be too complicated for a new white belt to learn his method of escaping?

It's not the "special stuff" I'm refering to, but the knowledge they have about simple positions and tricks that have been proven by their track record that even a new grappler would benefit from.

"there's a million posts here about how Marcelo does things a certain way, so if he has so much success with them, why not learn it like that the first time?"

One answer is: the way he does things is not necessarily the best way for everyone. He does things in ways that work for him. Others may be able to benefit from them or there may be different ways that work better for them.

There are many factors that influence what "works" for a person: bulid, temperment, previous training, personal preference, etc...

For example, SOME people would have MORE success doing things the way Saulo does them.

Over time, if the methods & variations Marcelo (or anyone else) teaches are useful enough for enough other people, they will become standard BJJ techniques.

But the basics & fundamentals of BJJ don't really change much and that's what all beginners really need to learn.

Saulo, Marcelo & all other good intructors, put emphasis on those.

BTW, by "Special Stuff" I am refering to those qualities & attributes that make a player, say, a Mundial Champion instead of "merely" being a really good black belt.

high profile privates lol

my privates are known to be fabulous...

Nice posts, Shen.

pics for your i love myself wall is the best reason to go with a high profile instructor.

my kids giving privates to a guy that has taken privates with some guys on this board and he says "its been better for him because of size , pholosphy and his tech".my kids just a brown belt (not a great 1) and the guy a blue .

Great posts Shen!

i agree with shen. at that level, knowing basically nothing, fine details are often overlooked by a white belt, who is probably just lucky to even survive the first few months in training. therefore, the general basics of hip movement and solid posture and base are more important. and these can be taught by nearly any bb, and even purple and brown belts in training can offer good basic tips to a beginner.