Highest fight IQ in MMA?

wiggum - Georges St. Pierre.

Among active fighters. And while GSP is the GOAT, his skill set seems basic in comparison to someone like Volk or Izzy.

Dominick Cruz, no one comes close.

1 Like

GSP

Anderson

DJ

Max

Volk

Izzy

Valentina

Cruz

Jones

1 Like
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

Among active fighters. And while GSP is the GOAT, his skill set seems basic in comparison to someone like Volk or Izzy.

Non sense. GSP is more rounded than either of them and no one will likely surpass his striking/TD mixing ability for a loooong time.

GSP would have never let a Izzy/Romero situation happen. He may not have Izzy’s striking finishing ability but he would have still imposed his strikes to tds like he does vs everyone else. GSP never needed his opponent to come at him to counter. He could counter or impose his game.

4 Likes
gokudamus - mightymouse/dcruz

DJ sadly overlooked as usual. When u are arguably the most rounded fighter ever, it takes IQ on when to use what.

1 Like
cyberc92 - 

Jon Jones. His fight IQ is what has kept him undefeated even though you can see his athleticism declining.

Yup.

And Yoel has some of the best and worst IQ. The Izzy fight the glaring example.

Also need to rewatch Volk Max and look fwd to the rematch bet 2 of the smartest.

Taylor27 -

Jon Jones 

Yeah...sadly this is truetrue.

The wanker has a genius level.fight iq

Wasa-B - 
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

Non sense. GSP is more rounded than either of them and no one will likely surpass his striking/TD mixing ability for a loooong time.

GSP would have never let a Izzy/Romero situation happen. He may not have Izzy’s striking finishing ability but he would have still imposed his strikes to tds like he does vs everyone else. GSP never needed his opponent to come at him to counter. He could counter or impose his game.

100%.

The idea that GSP’s skillset is basic compared to Izzy and Volk is ridiculous. It’s possible that GSP would beat Izzy today.

I don't care for him as a person but Jon Jones is the Carl Sagan of MMA. His ability to improvise, how he can shut down anybody's gameplan, and his tactical sense are all top shelf.

wiggum -
Wasa-B - 
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

100%.

The idea that GSP’s skillset is basic compared to Izzy and Volk is ridiculous. It’s possible that GSP would beat Izzy today.

Stop. 

I love you as a poster man, but GSP beating Izzy? Come on... 

Wasa-B -
gokudamus - mightymouse/dcruz

DJ sadly overlooked as usual. When u are arguably the most rounded fighter ever, it takes IQ on when to use what.

How I forgot DJ is beyond me

KickPunchr -

GSP

Good answer.

Uhtred Ragnarson - 
wiggum -
Wasa-B - 
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

100%.

Stop. 

GSP would get that takedown.

1 Like

Jon Jones? Not a chance. Look at his fights vs Santos, reyes and gustaffson 1. all gift decisions that he probably should've lost. in the fights, he makes zero adjustments and is content to strike with guys arguably besting him standing when he would have a tremendous advantage vs them on the ground. 

1 Like

Mighty mouse Demetrius Johnson is way up there...

2 Likes
Ministry of Truth - I think we need to better define fight IQ. A lot of fighters on this thread are just good at sticking to a gameplan or following advice. This is not fight IQ. Fight IQ is the ability to adapt in the moment, and without guidance.

Based on his commentary, I think Dominick Cruz is a great answer.

Yeah, that’s how I think about Fight IQ, A fighter that can adapt his syle for the better or taking the least amount of damage from an opponents best attacks while they’re are hurt or in trouble

Dangerousdoug -

Jon Jones? Not a chance. Look at his fights vs Santos, reyes and gustaffson 1. all gift decisions that he probably should've lost. in the fights, he makes zero adjustments and is content to strike with guys arguably besting him standing when he would have a tremendous advantage vs them on the ground. 

You said it better than I could.

Jon’s team is great, and he is good at sticking to the game plan. 2013 Jon had a high fight IQ. Now? He’s a shitty striker who can’t adapt on the fly.

1 Like
sanguine cynic -
Uhtred Ragnarson - 
wiggum -
Wasa-B - 
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

100%.

Stop. 

GSP would get that takedown.

Uhh uhh…