Highlights from DFW call with fighters on Friday

On Friday, UFC president Dana White held an invite-only teleconference with the talent, only (no management invited) about the league's response to the COVID-19 global pandemic. White said events will start on May 9, and will be weekly going forward. White said repeatedly that fighters not wishing to fight for any reason will have their wishes honored, and noted that fighters who want to fight will get the contracted three bouts. Negotiations are underway with Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak to hold the events the APEX Center, but the location remains TBA.

Highlights included:

•Fighters scheduled for the canceled shows in London, England, Columbus, Ohio, Portland, Oregon, and Brooklyn, NY will be first in line.

•Allowing catchweight fights is under consideration, but White doesn’t like the idea, as catchweight fights have less meaning

•The number of people allowed at events remains fluid, but White acknowledged that fighters make have to make tough decisions if cornermen are prohibited or otherwise unavailable.

•Medical staff and hospitals will be readily available for every event.

•International Fight Week in Las Vegas in July is in doubt.

•Americans may fight on “Fight Island.”

h/t Nolan KingMMA Junkie

And so it begins. 

I'd be cautiously fine with it if it was "no cutting weight" enforced by specific gravity testing.  Presumably they're going to be testing/monitoring the shit out of them in the week or two leading up to the fight.  So the gravity testing should be no added risk to the fighter.  The presumption is that if you catch corona while cutting weight, it'll hit you harder.  There's no evidence for that that I'm aware of, but it seems obvious common sense.

This could be the moment to put that dinosaur part of the sport in the past.

1 Like
jgiveshead -

I'd be cautiously fine with it if it was "no cutting weight" enforced by specific gravity testing.  Presumably they're going to be testing/monitoring the shit out of them in the week or two leading up to the fight.  So the gravity testing should be no added risk to the fighter.  The presumption is that if you catch corona while cutting weight, it'll hit you harder.  There's no evidence for that that I'm aware of, but it seems obvious common sense.

This could be the moment to put that dinosaur part of the sport in the past.

Yeah, I don’t see the point in sticking to weights since none of this matters. They should just do whatever is safest for the fighters. People will accept whatever matchmaking Dana feels is necessary

Egg has a hungry market and no product....this shit must be killing him lol

KingMartyrJack -

This is so desperate, it's funny.

Will Bruce Buffer wear a mask while screaming?

Covid doesn’t stand a chance against his Mexican supplements 

No cornerman or anyone in your best interests? This sounds extremely reckless and iresponsible. Taking advantage of desperate fighters.