Highly Scientific Gi Study: White vs Blue

Almost two years ago exactly, I purchased six (6) of the same make & model Fuji gi. The only difference being three were white and three were blue.

Since then I have rotated the gis so that I wore each gi the same amount, as much as possible.

The results:

-- After two years I have had to replace two of the three pairs of white pants, due to ripping. (All of the Blue gi pants are still rip-free).

-- The collars on the white gis are significantly more frayed than the collars on the blue gis.

-- The fabric on the blue gis is slightly softer than the fabric of the white gis. (The small fabric “pillows” of the weave on the white gis are flatter than on the blue gis).

In short, what I had always heard about dyed gis lasting longer than bleached gis, appears to be true. Dyed gis are generally “natural” gis that have been dyed, whereas white gis are obviously “natural” gis that have been bleached --and bleaching weakens fabric by taking moisture out of the fibers.

Although I somewhat prefer the "classic" look of a white gi, this study has made me see blue gis in a better light.

The full results will be published in the Shen Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Association Journal of Textile Science, January 2011.

Yours in Science,

Shen

Natural > Blue > White.

I still prefer the clean look of white gis and completely loathe colors, but I stick to natural because of the cost-value ratio and the fact that they're traditional.

I have two 10 year old natural Atama tops that still see regular use. The pants died long ago.

The silence is deafening.

Apparently the forum can't handle the truth!!!!

(Or, more likely, they already knew this).

I didn't know this at all.

That's for posting.

I've blown through more white gis than I can remember now. I usually get about two years out of one before the pants or top rip. I have a Keiko gold weave and the lapel ripped and frayed after maybe 20 times.

I don't like blue gis very much. I've owned two. One an Atama; other a navy Keiko.

I think I've owned the Atama longer than any other gi I've had and it is still in good shape. The Keiko has had moderate wear but it still looks like new.

I might have to change my thinking when I get my brown belt and start buying blue gis. I just can't get with the purple and blue clash.

I've always found blue gis to be heavier then white, which might also partly account for the difference in longevity seen in the in-depth analysis conducted by Dr Grandmaster Shen, of the Shendokan Advanced Research facility.

James

Thank you for enriching my understanding of textile technology.

I prefer the classic look too so my next gi will probably still be a white one regardless of what the comparative durability studies say.

Anyone recommend an unbleached BJJ gi that doesn't suck and doesn't (like the HCK single) weigh approximately a fuck-ton?

Honestly, I much, much prefer the look of a white BJJ gi. I like the traditional aspect. For some reason, Im not a big fan of the look of the blue gi, so I buy black gis most often since they feel better and last long, imo, than the white ones.

I have also found that blue gis shrink more than white, given the same washing and drying routines.

I have a blue atama though that is going strong after about 5 years but the collar is fraying. White Adidas that has frayed after about three. Different brands but still, similar result to shen's study.

i've never owned a colored gi...but my keiko fell apart right at about 2 years of use (ripping at the arm pits). but i've used it nearly every single day in the past two years, and have washed/run it through the dryer everyday as well.

i guess i should switch back to unbleached gis for the sake of saving money

..on that note - which companies still sell unbleached gis other than HCK?

Obviously it's not about "Blue" gis per se, but ANY colored gi (OR natural gi) vs. a bleached white gi.

For those who like the look of a white gi, but want the longevity of a natural gi, I suggest buying a dyed gi, then bleaching all the color out yourself. It should last forever.

The breakpoint poll was much more scientifically sound. LOL, someone bump that shit.

post hoc ergo propter hoc.

shen - 

In short, what I had always heard about dyed gis lasting longer than bleached gis, appears to be true. Dyed gis are generally “natural” gis that have been dyed, whereas white gis are obviously “natural” gis that have been bleached --and bleaching weakens fabric by taking moisture out of the fibers.

Interesting.

I was under the impression that colored fabrics (cotton) were actually all bleached first and then dyed.  In other words, natural --> white -->  blue/ black/ etc.

I was told this by 2 different screenprinters re: T shirts.  I always thought it seemed odd to bleach something white first when you just plan on dyeing it.  Wonder why the difference. 

I would be interested to find out if colored gis are in fact bleached before dyed.

I think you just have less people rolling with you when you wear the blue gi. Just like in nature, the brightly colored insects/reptiles are sending a warning "Don't mess with me! I'm poisonous!"

Same thing with the blue gi. People see it and think.... "He must be really good. He's got the flashy gi, I'll roll with the white belt whose gi is 2 sizes too big and keep breathing"

These are scientific facts.

Rock n Raleigh Suicide - The breakpoint poll was much more scientifically sound. LOL, someone bump that shit.

I hope you are kidding. .. THIS is a true landmark gi study.

With it I hope to go down in history among the giants in the burgeoning gi textile research field.

BTW, I will be formally presenting these findings on December 24th at the DelAmo Petco Community Room. Everyone welcomed. There will be a Q& A afterward.

Get there early, I anticipate great interest in my presentation and therefore a SIZABLE crowd. I'm holding it on a holiday so people won't have work conflicts.

Regards,
Prof. Shen
SBJJA Depatment of Textile Science.

cumprido1 - I think you just have less people rolling with you when you wear the blue gi. Just like in nature, the brightly colored insects/reptiles are sending a warning "Don't mess with me! I'm poisonous!"

Same thing with the blue gi. People see it and think.... "He must be really good. He's got the flashy gi, I'll roll with the white belt whose gi is 2 sizes too big and keep breathing"

These are scientific facts.

I respect your work, but don't be expecting to get any grant money from the SBJJA Dept. of Textile Science if your findings conflict with mine.

Moar BJJ science.