Highly Scientific Gi Study: White vs Blue

the breakpoint 'study' was a complete joke, the guy was coming around training so i felt like i shouldn't call him out on it, someone bump it, you'd think he was trolling. its outrageous.

"I have two 10 year old natural Atama tops that still see regular use. The pants died long ago. "

I haven't got the naturals, but I've gone through about five Atama white, blue and black gold weave jackets and still have about ten pairs of perfectly serviceable pants. I do have a double weave jacket that looks like it's still going to be around when the sun goes red giant, though.

I've found the first place to go is the embroidery on the sleeves.

I did have one where a guy completely ripped a sleeve off one the second time I'd worn it.

mcq - I was under the impression that colored fabrics (cotton) were actually all bleached first and then dyed. 

I always thought it seemed odd to bleach something white first when you just plan on dyeing it.  Wonder why the difference. 

I think cotton and wool are whitened using hydrogen peroxide, then pigment is added to make the color. It would seem that the color is more vivid/true using a white foundation than a natural/tan one.

(edit to add - I looked for a while and can't confirm that naturally colored fabrics are turned white as a first step in the process. From an appearance basis, it makes sense but from an economical one it does not)

cumprido1 - I think you just have less people rolling with you when you wear the blue gi. Just like in nature, the brightly colored insects/reptiles are sending a warning "Don't mess with me! I'm poisonous!"

Same thing with the blue gi. People see it and think.... "He must be really good. He's got the flashy gi, I'll roll with the white belt whose gi is 2 sizes too big and keep breathing"

These are scientific facts.

LOL!....

That and the fact that you probably put the white gis through different wash/dry cycle & temp than the colored.

you cant argue with science,good work

krept - 
mcq - I was under the impression that colored fabrics (cotton) were actually all bleached first and then dyed. 

I always thought it seemed odd to bleach something white first when you just plan on dyeing it.  Wonder why the difference. 

I think cotton and wool are whitened using hydrogen peroxide, then pigment is added to make the color. It would seem that the color is more vivid/true using a white foundation than a natural/tan one.

(edit to add - I looked for a while and can't confirm that naturally colored fabrics are turned white as a first step in the process. From an appearance basis, it makes sense but from an economical one it does not)
I haven't looked into it, and just took the screenprinters word.

Although, price-wise, aren't natural < white < colored?  If so, then is bleaching that much less expensive than dyeing or is the cost structure evidence of both the bleaching and dyeing process?

Either way, it's interesting that the colored gis seem to wear better.