Hillbilly Elegy

banco - It was a competently made but not very interesting movie so not surprised critics didn't like it.

The book is far more interesting in that it goes deep into the socio-economic conditions of Appalachia and the poor whites who live there.

1 Like

Wonder Woman 1984 sucks so I’m switching to this one. Glenn Close with an old lady fro should be good.

1 Like

I watched it a couple weeks ago and was completely underwhelmed. 

It could have been a much better movie, but it just fell flat. 

amadeus -
banco - It was a competently made but not very interesting movie so not surprised critics didn't like it.

The book is far more interesting in that it goes deep into the socio-economic conditions of Appalachia and the poor whites who live there.

Yea, I don't see how anyone who read the book can stomach the movie

1 Like

I grew up a county over to the east in Kentucky, and for some reason I’ve had absolutely no desire to watch this movie. Both of my grandparents had houses with plumbing where the toilet flushed into the creek running by the house. I rarely see that area portrayed well in media. If they didn’t have a house with a rusty pipe coming out over the creek and shit stained toilet paper hanging from it wet and drippy I know it’s not accurate.

1 Like
BubblesNS -
ShanTheMan -
scrapdo -
ShanTheMan -

I wonder what the point of it is. It just seems dramatic but with nothing happening other than them being hicks.

The point of it is that personal decisions have the ability to help people rise from even the worst circumstances. WTF were you watching that you missed that? This wasn’t inception. 

I only saw the trailer. 

I tend to watch movies with a simple journey, comedic premise, or shiny objects.

You are a good man

You said it, dadday

It’s a good movie but it made me pretty uncomfortable watching it. It reminded me a lot of aspects of my childhood and family growing up.

CoughSyrupOD - It's a good movie but it made me pretty uncomfortable watching it. It reminded me a lot of aspects of my childhood and family growing up.

I made this same point a bit earlier.  Cheers man.

Mit -
CoughSyrupOD - It's a good movie but it made me pretty uncomfortable watching it. It reminded me a lot of aspects of my childhood and family growing up.

I made this same point a bit earlier.  Cheers man.

Ya, I alluded to the same in my first post. I actually felt a lot of strong connections with some elements of the story, and felt a lot of empathy at times. As a result, I found the movie to be pretty impactful.

1 Like
PeteyWheatstraw - Wonder Woman 1984 sucks so I'm switching to this one. Glenn Close with an old lady fro should be good.

After, look up the real-life family to see how close they all looked. Pretty great. 

Just watched it,. Close gave a masterful performance.  It's no wonder Amy Adams has been the highest paid actress in the world 3 different years.  Production and direction were top notch too.

But as the critics have said, the script was a little light.  So some poor kid made it to Yale Law.  So what.  That happens all the time.  Good for him but why do I care about JD Vance?

Generally I thought it was fine.  Wife really liked it.  I give it a 6.5/10, wife gave it a 7.5/10 but she's a sap.

1 Like
EFM -

Just watched it,. Close gave a masterful performance.  It's no wonder Amy Adams has been the highest paid actress in the world 3 different years.  Production and direction were top notch too.

But as the critics have said, the script was a little light.  So some poor kid made it to Yale Law.  So what.  That happens all the time.  Good for him but why do I care about JD Vance?

Generally I thought it was fine.  Wife really liked it.  I give it a 6.5/10, wife gave it a 7.5/10 but she's a sap.

I think a lot was lost from the book to the movie.

1 Like
amadeus - 

I have read the book. I think it’s something somebody like David Simon (of the wire) could have brought that out more. Ron Howard is the wrong guy to do that.

2 Likes

Saw this movie a couple weeks ago, at a family member’s insistence. Yes, when they showed the real life people at the end of the movie, it was surprising to see how similar the acting/makeup were to those people. Glenn Close, especially. She perfectly recreated the grandmother.

Unfortunately for me, personally, some of the scenes were a bit too real. It was a good movie, but I did not enjoy it.

What I like most about the book was his insights into the culture. Not sure how that could be translated into film

1 Like

When it came to Netflix my libtard cousin immediately started posting on facebook about what a horrible movie it was, victim blaming, no social justice, etc…

The funny thing is our Grandparents came from that environment and began working their way up. The next gen turned things around completely, and ours has taken it further…except her dumb ass. She hates that her sister is retired in an nice upscale community, her kids had private school, members of an equestrian club, etc… Meanwhile they just bought their first shitty house at 45 years old and most likely will never be able to retire.

Le Shat
©

1 Like