Hip Tilts

Anyone have any tips and insights to provide about hip tilts?

Hip tilts have always given me trouble even though I have always worked hard, from Junior high till I graduated from high school, on trying to perfect doing them because I think they are the ultimate exhibition of absolute and total control in Folkstyle wrestling and I also believe that if I had better hip tilts my gut wrench in freestyle would be better.

I also think that a wrestler with good hip tilting abilities would also find that those abilities allow him to control an opponent (and especially when it comes to a scrambling back mount) in BJJ/Submission wrestling, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

???

COme on...someone must be willing to contribute to this thread....if you are out there, please do...

sorry I dont but heres a TTT for ya

What does "TTT" mean?

T-o T-he T-op or something like that

To the top for Chip, he has smacked me onto my back many times with these "tilt" things, I'm sure he can shed some light for you. He's pretty busy these days, but just keep nagging him. ;)

Jeff

Chip, a little help?

I always like to get tight around the waist, as tight as I can with my left arm, and then move out to his right side with my left hip next to his hip/legs while I trap his right arm down with mine and then just kind of bring him over. In freestyle, it's a quick 2. In scholastic, it might be 3, but mostly two. I hope that kind of helps, but I don't know if I did it justice.

Chip,

little help?

If we're talking about folkstyle tilts from the top, there are tons of ways to do them.

The way I've always found most effective is this...

Saying you are riding the guy, and you chop his left arm in, bring it tight to his own waist. Grab his left wrist with your right hand - clamp it TIGHT. With your left hand, grab into the crook of his left elbow - clamp it TIGHT. What's going on here is that you are doing two things: 1. taking that arm out of commission, and 2. controlling his hips by clamping tight to them (via his arm). You don't want to be clamping his arm up in his gut or chest, but down low so that you are controlling his hips at the same time.

Now get your body to more or less on his right side, if it isn't already there. Now dive and roll: You are going to sort of dive over to his left side, your head will go into the pocket between his gut and his left thigh. Your arms stay clamped tight to his waist, so he just turns over with you, you end up pulling him across your own body, with him landing on his back.

You will need to do some re-adjusting now. Make sure that your body is perpendicular with him. DO NOT let up pressure on your arms -- keep them clamped tight! With your bottom leg/thigh you catch his leg - put your foot on the floor, but point your knee to the ceiling (That last point is the single most common mistake on tilts! People can't hold someone there because they get lazy with that bottom leg!). With your top leg, you are catching his leg (almost in a quasi-crab ride type position) and try to keep it elevated and immobolized.

I have ZERO clue if this made any sense, it's very difficult to describe just using words. Hopefully it's helpful.

Having said that, tilts are great for racking up cheap points in wrestling, and like you said, they are a way of demonstrating a sometimes embarrassing amount of dominance on your opponent. But I would imagine they'd have a pretty limited utility in submission grappling. I'm no expert with submission stuff, but in what little bit I've done, I don't think I've ever had a situation where I felt like hitting a cheap tilt would do me much good.