History of Olympic boxing

Found this and thought it was great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lvUYzz8cM

made in 1996, but very good. Hope you enjoy it.

USA! USA! USA!

Thanks.

Nice! Phone Post

USA Olympic Gold Medal Winners 1976 - 2008
Andre Ward - 2004
David Reid - 1996
Oscar De La Hoya - 1992
**Roy Jones Jr. 1988 (awarded posthumously)
Ray Mercer - 1988
Andrew Maynard - 1988
Kennedy McKinney - 1988
Pernell 'Sweet Pea' Whittaker -1984
Meldrick Taylor - 1984
Mark Breland - 1984
Paul Gonzales - 1984
Steve McCory - 1984
Gerry Page - 1984
Frank Tate - 1984
Henry Tillman - 1984
Tyrell Biggs - 1984
'Sugar' Ray Leonard - 1976
Howard Davis - 1976
Michael Spinks - 1976
Leon Spinks - 1976
Leo Randolph - 1976

Other notable Olympic fighters

Evander Holyfield - 1984 (BS DQ, ended up with bronze)
Michael Carbajal - 1988
Riddick Bowe - 1988
Vernon Forrest - 1992
Chris Byrd - 1992
Montell Griffin - 1992
Raul Marquez -1992
Chris Byrd - 1992
Floyd Mayweather Jr. - 1996
Fernando Vargas - 1996
Antonio Tarver -1996
Eric Morel - 1996
Zahir Raheem - 1996
Brian Viloria - 2000
Jermain Taylor - 2000
Rau'Shee Warren - 2004, 2008, 2012 GO RAU'SHEE!

All time standing in boxing:

#1 USA

Gold: 48

Silver: 23

Bronze: 38

This year's team is the best we've had in a while too. Hopefully the gold medal drought will finally be broken.

Hopefully the US team does well, they do seem to be slightly more talented than some of our recent teams, but a number of retarded organizational issues could unfortunately bite them in the ass in a big way. First, the team is once again highly inexperienced on an international level with very few of our fighters even being ranked which will fuck them on their seedings forcing them to face tougher comp early in the tournament. Secondly, the preparatory training camp for the team was insanely short, four weeks instead of the twelve to sixteen week camps ran by most of the better countries (due to a lack of funding on behalf of USA Boxing). Lastly, the coach for the US team was only selected a few weeks back and he will not be allowed to be in the fighters corners during fights due to rules which prohibit coaches who have cornered professional boxers within the previous six months from cornering amateur fighters ( seems like a pretty big oversight in the coaching selection process). Phone Post

^ Agree, I really liked Teddy Atlas' piece on FNF last night on how to fix some of the Olympic problems and I thought it was spot on.

In any event, thus far Joseph Diaz Jr. (Bantam) won his first round fight and advances.

The big question is, how did we get to this point? Boxing used to be one of the truly premiere events in the Olympics. Americans loved Olympic boxing. Now, I think anyone who is paying attention understand the way boxing declined. But the question is, why doesn't anyone care enough to fix it?

Terrell Gausha - Middleweight wins by KO (3rd rd)

Down by 1 pt going into round 3. Scored 2 good knockdowns in the final seconds of the round. Strange stoppage (as the ref did not appear to signal the end of the round and the clock on tv said 00:00 after the first knockdown.)

Gausha looked really good, but he is short for a MW.

So far so good, nice start by team USA. Phone Post

The olympics has a history of making seemingly exciting sports extremely boring. I mean theoritically 2 men having a swordfight should be massively entertaining, but watching olympic fencing is like watching paint dry.

Amateur boxing today is so far removed from a combat sport it's almost point karate.

Amateur boxing today is so far removed from a combat sport it's almost point karate.

That's not true. Boxing may not be what it should be in the Olympics, but it is certainly not some cheesy point sparring. These guys take real shots and work extremely hard.

BTW here is highlights of Diaz' fight if you missed it

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/boxing/highlight-diaz-defeats-ishchenko-in-bantamweight-prelims.html

Terrell Gausha's fight

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/boxing/r32-bouts-7-12-mens-bantam-56kg-middle-75kg.html

The fights I've seen have been great. Aren't they changing back to the ten point must system for the next olympiad?

The US team started off 4-0 but just had their first loss today. :(

It's turning into another disappointing performance. Team USA has lost 5 in a row now, including heavyweight and super heavyweight.

Only 4 American boxers remain in the competition.

The heavy and superheavy I expected to lose, they have little to no international experience. Hell Brezelle, has only 3 years boxing and is a football player.

The US got off to a good start, but this should be viewed as a building year. let's just hope they can use this to build some consistency and re-grow the program.

One thing that is good to see is that they seem to be in good shape despite a very abbreviated training session in Co Springs. They are still coming on strong at the end of the fight. They need to select the teams and staff earlier and have some more international meets and have some more time to prepare for the scoring style. I would also LOVE to see some more consistency with the coaching staff. I thought Al Mitchel did a good job. Basheer Abdullah seems ok. Just pick someone who has success coaching internationally and stick with him.

I am still very hopeful that we will get at least 1 gold and a silver or bronze.

buddie - 

That's not true. Boxing may not be what it should be in the Olympics, but it is certainly not some cheesy point sparring. These guys take real shots and work extremely hard.

BTW here is highlights of Diaz' fight if you missed it

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/boxing/highlight-diaz-defeats-ishchenko-in-bantamweight-prelims.html